Coleman 4312 furnace w/ pilot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #1

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Coleman 4312 furnace w/ pilot

It's likely that the thermocouple is toast in our Coleman 4312 furnace. I've replaced these before in hot water tanks and household furnaces, but never in a RV.

Biggest difference I see (without taking it all apart) is that the copper lead is much much shorter in our Biggar furnace. Would a "universal coupler" that I've used in other appliances work in these Colemans as well?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Clayton
Old 06-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #2

Name: Cody
Trailer: Unknown
Alberta
Sorry for the revival...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calindor View Post
It's likely that the thermocouple is toast in our Coleman 4312 furnace. I've replaced these before in hot water tanks and household furnaces, but never in a RV.

Biggest difference I see (without taking it all apart) is that the copper lead is much much shorter in our Biggar furnace. Would a "universal coupler" that I've used in other appliances work in these Colemans as well?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Clayton
Hey There!

Sorry for reviving such an old thread... I think I may have the same problem with the same furnace. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the info I need to fix this thing. What were your symptoms? Do you remember what you used to replace the thermocouple? Thanks!
Walkintree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #3

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkintree View Post
Hey There!

Sorry for reviving such an old thread... I think I may have the same problem with the same furnace. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the info I need to fix this thing. What were your symptoms? Do you remember what you used to replace the thermocouple? Thanks!
I actually purchased a replacement from Rona that was physically the same size. The only difference was the capillary tube was VERY long and I just had to coil it up and place it out of the way. Be careful not to put a kink in it.

As far as symptoms, I could get the pilot to light, but it would only stay lit in the 'pilot' position. Same symptom as I've had in standard household hot water tanks and furnaces. New thermocouple always does the trick!

That being said, we decided to do some major renovations on the trailer, so the furnace is completely removed right now so I never got a chance to reinstall it. If you can light your pilot but it just won't stay lit, there's a good chance it will work once you change the thermocouple unless something else is wrong with it.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

Name: Cody
Trailer: Unknown
Alberta
Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately that's not my issue apparently. (Father in-law tried to tell me it was the thermocouple causing my problems, seems to not be the case) Pilot lights and stays lit just fine. The main burner lights too... Not to hijack your thread, but the main burner stays at a constant low flame, and the blower only kicks in periodically. My question is, when you had your furnace in and running, was the main burner constantly on a low flame? I'm talking like my flames are 1/4-1/2 inch high. Nice and blue though. =S

I'm going to start a thread, and hopefully find some help! Thank you again for your help.
Walkintree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace