Collapsed Roof Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Name: Monica
Trailer: 1976 Boler
Ontario
Collapsed Roof Boler

Hi
I am hoping that someone can help me with my project
As you can see I have had a terrible thing happen to me with my 1976 Boler trailer collapse.
Anyone who can send advice , it would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, Monica
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1591.jpg   IMG_1592.jpg  

Monica1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Very sad. I doubt there is anyone here that doesn't have a knot in their stomach after looking at the pictures. All I can say is that we have seen trailers in similar condition repaired. It can be done. All the information needed is on this site. Use the search feature.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
So sorry for your loss...Guess I won't tell the wife she doesn't need to clear the snow off every 8 inches any more..This winter was a bad one with over 120 inches, thats ten feet of snow here in Maine. Still 8 inches of snow where the sun doesn't shine in the woods.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You can start reading Norm's thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oof-47443.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

You may find Gary's great thread about rebuilding a rear-ended U-Haul of value too: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...t13-66181.html
Old 04-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #6

Here's a good thread about a 15' Boler: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...500-61092.html
Old 04-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #7

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Oh this just makes me so sad for you! Best of luck on repairing your little camper.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I think that boler will be quite simple to fix, don't confuse easy with simple.
4-maybe 500$ Cdn plus talent and time.
Strip the interior push the roof up into place and support it with whatever it takes to get it back in position, grind off the gel coat and some of the glass at the break lines.
Apply a layer or 2 of glas to the exterior so will maintain shape then go inside grind away some material at the breaks and apply a couple new coats of glas,
Once the body is rigid again sand and paint, interior refinish will depend on what was there and condition.
It's a lot of work but fixable.
I did a job similar to this on a smaller scale to a truck cap I bought used that didn't fit right. I just cut the front off placed it where I wanted it and glassed in the space. The second pic is glass and body filler applied, third is after it was in service for several years.
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
S3000019.jpg   S3000023.jpg  

IMG1124.jpg  
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:16 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I agree with Fred, it can be fixed but I'd do the first FG layer on the inside to get it lined up well and supported. Only because you may end up with less finish FG work on the outside. From other repairs like this posted here, don't be afraid of drilling holes to attach support backing to hold the roof in the position you need. A few dozen extra holes at this point are moot . FG work is pretty easy and forgiving but is a tad messy. Be sure to use the proper safety gear, take and post your progress for others here too. Ask questions as there is a lot of talent and experience here.

Fred, nice job on the shell.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
WOW!

Hope it ends well 😕
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
So sad for your loss.
I've done a lot of fiberglass repair. It can be fixed but it will be a lot of work to do it so it will last. A replacement upper shell would be easier but likely expensive unless you can find a salvage unit. Removing the upper shell to repair it would be an easier fix as you have to do most of the work on the inside and it would be good to have gravity on your side but you run the risk of distorting the shape and then it may not fit when you try to put it back on. I would fix it in place but first I would decide if the unit is worth fixing. You may be able to recover some of your investment from salvage and buy another unit. You may be able to buy another unit that needs the parts you already have.
In addition to the fiberglass work you will have additional interior repairs to make. If this isn't something you can do yourself it will be expensive and if it isn't done properly it won't last.
Good luck!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I agree with Dave, support it with additional support and screws if necessary, you can always glass over the screw holes after you repair the bulk of the damage. I would search for Fiberglass Dave's step by step with photos thread, lots of good information there, especially on repairing correctly for structural integrity and no de-lamination of your repairs.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Direct link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I fear the water damage more than the crushed wood.

Get some bender board and wrap it in plastic and drill and screw in to the bender board at your break lines. You will need some posts to set the top on as you screw it back to some reasonable shape. I would put the bender board on the outside of the trailer and do all your initial reinforcement glass work on the inside. Once you get the trailer structurally sound then you can grind into the repair joint and feather in some new resin and glass. this will make the outside much cleaner and easier to blend in. The inside rough surface will be covered in some way pretty much hiding the repair work. You can't hide the outside work so the smoother you do you lay-ups the easier it will be to fair and blend in the outside repair.

Hopefully you have extra hands to help you in the initial stages of this repair.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #15

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Monica, my wife just talked to you on the phone about the tires and heard of your plight! It can be fixed with some work. As my wife suggested, make sure the closet is present along with the sink/upper cabinet wrought iron supports! This prevents roof collapse.
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler