Compact Cushion Conundrum..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Compact Cushion Conundrum.....

Had my first trip last week in my 40-year-old new-to-me Compact Jr.

I had switched from two one-piece cushions to six smaller cushions.
The smaller cushions were easier and lighter to move around and provided better access to the storage areas under the bunks.

After a bit of towing though I discovered the half dozen cushions had migrated from the bunk tops to the floor along with the pillows.

So today I hopefully solved that problem with 4 screw eyes, 4 s-hooks, and about 4' of bungee rope.

Each piece is screwed into the underside of wood trim so the walls weren't disturbed and nothing protrudes in the way.

The northern Michigan nights were pretty cold, down in the mid-40's. I'm going to have to consider some kind of insulation or choose some warmer weather!

I have a propane catalytic heater but don't want to run it while I'm sleeping.

The campsite was right on the water and looks peaceful, but truth be told it was adjacent to a National Guard artillery range and if the booms weren't enough of a distraction the machine gun fire would grab your attention too.

I think that activity wanes after Labor Day so I may be back later in the year.
Attached Thumbnails
cushion bungees.jpg   jones lake post.jpg  

john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Compact Jr
Nice looking Compact! Very pleasant interior color.

What's the little compartment at the forward end of the center aisle?
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Nice little FGRV. It looks as though you have a solution to the migrating cushions. Here's another idea. I was told to keep the table in the down (bed) position while towing. When in that position all the cushions fit in the bed space in a jigsaw puzzle style. The cushions are not going anywhere! (See my photo)

Since we camp in cold to hot temperatures I had to come up with a flexible and easy bedding system which is described in further detail in other postings of mine. Basically, I have several light to mid-weight queen-size (or any size of your choice) comforters that are easily attached to one another with a button/loop system. One comforter has buttons spaced about 12" apart. The other comforters each have loops spaced the same way. This way you can loop and button several comforters together. This system is even easy to use in the dark. Velcro or zippers would be noisy and cumbersome to use. In cold weather we like to have the flannel side of a comforter next to our body assuming you have a flannel-sided comforter. You can get very inexpensive, yet plain, comforters from IKEA. Glamper side note: Each side of our comforters have a different print, solid, stripe or plaid. As a result, when the bed is made up we can choose from a variety of designs to be uppermost. This feature is not essential but is fun!

In addition, wear a knit beanie hat, socks and anything else to keep you warm. You might want to tuck in a heated hot water bottle before going to bed. I like to put my clothing for the next day in a drawstring bag or empty pillowcase at my feet in bed at night. In the morning I can stay in my warm bed to put on my (relatively) warm clothes.

My photos also show the custom made mattress pad topper that I made in two long pieces so they are easy to store in the benches. Look at #4 posting here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oam-50300.html

We set the heater at a relatively cool temperature so it only goes on at night if it gets really cold. The noise wakes us up however. This is probably a good thing since we can be aware of preventing fire and we can bundle up more. We sometimes just heat the space before heading to bed and upon rising.

In any case, you'll find your own way to stay warm and to control those cushions. As to how to tune out noise of bullets, I'll let someone else answer that issue.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 043.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 026.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #4

Michigan
Thanks Steve & Gilda......

To answer your question Steve it's a storage area, probably home-built by a previous owner. Just a shelf and simple door.

And Gilda, thanks for your reply. On the cold nights I was happy I packed some wool socks. And as I lay there in the cold I was thinking that I should have brought a wool knit hat of some kind.

I'll be stuffing one into a drawer before my next trip!
Attached Thumbnails
storage.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The clothing in a stuff sack inside the bed is one I have used when winter tent camping, makes a difference then I must say.

I also find waffle long underwear to be the best PJ's trap enough heat but let enough get out that the sleeping bag warms up.

Have heard of people buying two sleeping bags of the same brand that will zip together as a two person bag. The buy one lite summer weight and one heavier winter weight. Arrange it so the lite or heavy one is on top depending on what is needed. Throw on a comforter and it should be pretty toasty.

Thermos of coffee with thermos pre-heated with boiling water, wrapped in a towel makes getting out of the warm bed a little easier knowing that hot coffee is just waiting just over there. Or hot tea if that is your thing.

Up at Gaylord right? Nice country up there but as you noted can be a bit noisy during guard training.

BTW - really like the camper.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
"The campsite was right on the water and looks peaceful, but truth be told it was adjacent to a National Guard artillery range and if the booms weren't enough of a distraction the machine gun fire would grab your attention too."

John, Was that Lake Margrethe, in Camp Grayling by any chance? I have a lot of good memories "camping" there as well.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
good grief said Gaylord meant Grayling both in the same area but don't think you would hear artillery fire from that far away.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #8

Michigan
It was Jones Lake.....

Sorry for the late answer! It was Jones Lake, about 12 miles from Grayling. Lake Margarethe is much bigger.

Jones Lake is very small. Usually I camp at Shupac Lake about 5 miles away. I set up there for one night but it was pretty crowded so I headed over to Jones Lake.

In hindsight I should have opted for crowded over artillery-noisy!
Attached Thumbnails
jones lake post.jpg