Compact jr joints (silicone??) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Name: THOMAS
Trailer: 1972 COMPACT JR
Colorado
Compact jr joints (silicone??)

Working on my "new" CJr. The exterior joints seem to be silicone over what may have been the original joint sealer. If I remove all the silicone what will I find?
And what is a good-looking way to seal the joints? Is there some kind of "rubberized" trim to dress the joints up ??

Also, how do the terms "belly-band" and "trim-lok" come into play with my unit ??
THOMASJU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hard telling what you will find under that silicone, but, once you start to peel it up it should come off fairly easy. I don't know how the Jr was originally sealed at the seams but I have used Sikaflex-715 self leveling sealer on a number of FGRV's with very good success.

Belly Band refers to the equatorial seam found on most FGRV's such as the Compact-II, Scamp, 13' Lil'Bigfoot, and most others that are built with an upper and lower shell half.

Trim-Loc is a kind of ribber molding used to hold windows in place. The Loc part is a strip that inserts after the glass is installed to lock the glass in place. (I think)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Trim-Lok is often used on certain builds of trailer as a garnishment. It's not used to seal anything, just make a joint look "better." For instance, vertical seamed trailers such as the Burro and U-Haul use Trim-Lok. Trim-Lok is actually a company name, rather than a type of trim or gasket. If you go to the Trim-Lok home page you'll find there's thousands of trim types available. Including one used on a Trillium belly band, etc. http://www.trimlok.com/

Scamp uses Trim-Lok as a garnishment around the door, bottom of the body, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJU View Post
Working on my "new" CJr. The exterior joints seem to be silicone over what may have been the original joint sealer. If I remove all the silicone what will I find?
And what is a good-looking way to seal the joints? Is there some kind of "rubberized" trim to dress the joints up ??

Also, how do the terms "belly-band" and "trim-lok" come into play with my unit ??
My Compact Jr. is presently waiting for me to stop procrastinating an take it to a paint booth.

These trailers are molded with a Vertical Seam in the same way the Burro, U-Haul, and Eggcamper are molded, but it is in 3 pieces as the roof is separate from the rest of the body. There is no "Belly Band". In the interior picture you can see, under the front window, the middle has an extra layer of fiberglass about 9" wide, from the window to the floor. The exterior of this seam is ground down flush with the body. Mine was left ungarnished. I have seen others that use a surface trim over the vertical line, like the Trillium and Escape use for their belly bands.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1393.jpg   000_1394.jpg  

000_1141.jpg