Compact Jr. pop-top hardware - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
Alberta
Compact Jr. pop-top hardware

We are new members to the forum community and are stuck on a rebuild problem. We are hoping some of you might make some suggestions.

We recently bought a (1969?) Compact Jr. The pop-top was permanently bolted down and we spent a fair bit of labour undoing this. We have everything cleaned up, have new edge trim and paint etc. ... but we do not have any of the original hardware to raise the pop-top, lock it in place, or securely clamp it down for travel. I've been looking for similar hardware but so far have not found anything that can solve the whole problem.

Does anyone have information, parts for sale, or suggestions for us? We'd be very appreciative of some help from those of you who have "been there ... done that".

Thanks, Joe, Alberta, Canada
Joe Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:25 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Joe,

The Compact JR has hardware similar to that which lifted a small square pop-top on a 65 VW bus I owned years back.

I looked at a number of sites that supply parts for VW vans. There's a lot of toggles to latch the top down, a lot of canvas fitted to the various types of tops which were used through the years, and a few sets of hardware out there. However, all the hardware I found was for the tops which were "hinged" and sloped, not the hardware to lift a top straight-up as I'd had on my '65.

Buttys Bits seems to either have a source or to have invested in producing stainless steel hinges for that market.

https://www.buttysbits.com/product-c...stfalia-parts/

Sportsmobile produces large pop-tops for van conversions. They apparently have developed some proprietary hardware for their tops.

https://sportsmobile.com/penthouse-top/

Maybe something here will help you get started on the road to finding or creating something that will work.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Joe,

The Compact JR has hardware similar to that which lifted a small square pop-top on a 65 VW bus I owned years back.

I looked at a number of sites that supply parts for VW vans. There's a lot of toggles to latch the top down, a lot of canvas fitted to the various types of tops which were used through the years, and a few sets of hardware out there. However, all the hardware I found was for the tops which were "hinged" and sloped, not the hardware to lift a top straight-up as I'd had on my '65.

Buttys Bits seems to either have a source or to have invested in producing stainless steel hinges for that market.

https://www.buttysbits.com/product-c...stfalia-parts/

Sportsmobile produces large pop-tops for van conversions. They apparently have developed some proprietary hardware for their tops.

https://sportsmobile.com/penthouse-top/

Maybe something here will help you get started on the road to finding or creating something that will work.
Thanks so much Mike!

Those are great sites to know about and have got me thinking about some more alternatives to the original Compact Jr. roof hardware. Even if I end up having to fabricate my own seeing other pop-up designs is very useful.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness at sharing your information.

Joe, Alberta, Canada
Old 12-30-2020, 11:57 AM   #4

Name: Kip
Trailer: Hunter
Arizona
Hey Joe, I have a Jr also, I have seen where instead of the steel hardware I have seen where people have used gas shocks like the ones used on a tailgate of a van. You might try this while looking for the original version. Their are multiple sizes and lift strengths so this could take some trial and error to get the perfect fit.
Fiberglassflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Jrs !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglassflyer View Post
Hey Joe, I have a Jr also, I have seen where instead of the steel hardware I have seen where people have used gas shocks like the ones used on a tailgate of a van. You might try this while looking for the original version. Their are multiple sizes and lift strengths so this could take some trial and error to get the perfect fit.
---------------------------------------------------

On my Compact Jr I am thinking of using gas shocks to help lift it because it can be heavy for shorter people to lift. And that is WITH the original lifting hardware. I can't see how gas shocks could both lift AND hold the top. Some people do slip in small (12' ? ) wooden 'arms' to hold the top in the 'up' position. Remove and stow them when top is down. On mine it is hard to get all the cloth 'apron' completely in as you drop the top, some of it always gets pinched as the top comes down. And cheap Jeep Hood latches are perfect for holding the top in the down position . Get them in Chrome from E-trailer on line. Good luck, tell us what you figure out. David in Fresno and Sonora.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #6

Trailer: Compact Jr
Here, you might take a look at this: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...-jr-53419.html
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #7

Alberta
Kip, David, and Steve,
Thanks so much for your help. I love this forum! I have designed my own system. I had a boat building business up until the pandemic and have some left-over parts and ideas The system I have designed is very simple but would be slightly more difficult without 2 people to lift.
I will post pictures and comments as I progress with our re-build. If it works well it is very inexpensive ... so I guess we will see!
Thanks everyone! Joe
Old 12-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cunningham View Post
Kip, David, and Steve,
Thanks so much for your help. I love this forum! I have designed my own system. I had a boat building business up until the pandemic and have some left-over parts and ideas The system I have designed is very simple but would be slightly more difficult without 2 people to lift.
I will post pictures and comments as I progress with our re-build. If it works well it is very inexpensive ... so I guess we will see!
Thanks everyone! Joe
__________________________________________________ __

Joe, the tops can be hard to lift depending n the 'skirt' or 'collar', the mechanism, AND how tall you are ! My tall friend has no trouble, I can lift it, but with difficulty. My partner can't lift it, but together we can fairly easily. Sometimes I carry a small plastic stool to give me another 8 - 10 in of lift. Using your head to help lift / balance it can result in neck injury. It can be hard to get all the cloth collar into the trailer when you put the top down. David Gearhart in Fresno and Sonora.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #9

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
__________________________________________________ __

Joe, the tops can be hard to lift depending n the 'skirt' or 'collar', the mechanism, AND how tall you are ! My tall friend has no trouble, I can lift it, but with difficulty. My partner can't lift it, but together we can fairly easily. Sometimes I carry a small plastic stool to give me another 8 - 10 in of lift. Using your head to help lift / balance it can result in neck injury. It can be hard to get all the cloth collar into the trailer when you put the top down. David Gearhart in Fresno and Sonora.
Thanks for the "heads up" David. I will be sure to 'test lift, etc.' as I fabricate. I could also use the 'gas shocks' idea as an aid in the design I have in mind. I am having a 'skirt/collar/boot' made for the trailer by a lady in Arizona that was suggested by Kip, I believe. Hopefully that will go well.
Thanks to all! Joe
Old 02-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Lee Senn here . Wife and I have a Trailswest Campster and it has a pop top like the Compacts . The top raising system is different in that is an easy lift , pops up and stays there with no prop arms or wing nuts required . I'm am totally incompetent with photos or I would post some . Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:07 PM   #11

Name: Wayne
Trailer: not sure on this one,never seen one like it.
AL
THNX
cecil von wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:57 AM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Lee Senn here . Wife and I have a Trailswest Campster and it has a pop top like the Compacts . The top raising system is different in that is an easy lift , pops up and stays there with no prop arms or wing nuts required . I'm am totally incompetent with photos or I would post some . Lee and Norma
The lift components that were used on the Trailswest Campster are still in use and being sold in Australia. I would hunt down the link to them but I am out camping this winter in Quartzsite which is very popular for RV dwellers and that means I am on a slow connection for web browsing.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:14 AM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Attachment 150884this is an image of the redpopup top with lift mechanism for the Trailswest Campster. It is shown upside down on top of a table. I had just sewed up new canvas for mine so the photo is the after installing the canvas, before I put the popup top back in place on the trailer.

Basically the lift mechanism is two X strips of aluminum bar secured in the center with a bolt through them and a nylon washer spacer between the bars to act as a lubricated bearing point to allow easy movement. The lower ends of those aluminum bars have a nylon roller bearing bolted to them. The roller bearing runs in a track. There is a tension spring stretched between the two ends of the aluminum bars attached under those bolts that also go through the roller bearings. That spring is what makes it possible to easily lift and lower the popup roof.
Attachment 150884
Attached Thumbnails
pop top canvas.jpg  
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote