Compact Jr Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: compact jr
New York
Compact Jr Questions

First thanks everyone for the help and input. I am kinda lost at this point. I have always wanted a small camper and now I have one!
Now I have lots of questions!
My first question is about the stove. It does not work. The propane tank is full, sounds like I need to get some soapy water and a spray bottle?
Also is waxing the camper important?
This camper also has a furnace, I am not sure exactly how this works, seems silly I know but..........
Thanks all in advance, all input is much appreciated.
raddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi again Linda. We have a wide variety of information in the Document Center. If you don't have the owner's manuals for the applicances in your trailer, you may want to download what you need. You'll need model numbers from the appliances.

Going forward, if you have questions... it's helpful to post one question per thread. That way things don't get all jumbled up and you'll get all the answers you need. I know it's hard when you're excited!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Problems with stoves that don't light often start as far back as the LP bottle itself. First, using a BBQ lighter, try to light a burner. If the flame wavers a bit, but it doesn't light, it is still blowing air out of the lines. This sometimes takes a few minutes. Keep the lighter lit and wait a bit longer for flame.
If there is no air or gas it may be the tank regulator itself. With the LP tank ON (You did turn it fully ON didn't you?) carefully loosen the hose that comes out of the regulator. If there is no Hiss, your regulator may be the culprit. These are inexpensive and easy to replace. There is usually another pressure regulator in the stove, but that may be beyond home repair skills.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #4

New York
I did turn it on I also made sure the tank had gas in it. I at first considered that. (In a hopeful way)
When I connected the tank to the hose it made a hiss, and then when I tried to light the stove, nothing
I will disconnect and see if I hear the hiss.
Thank you!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's where the hose comes out of the regulator that you want to loosen. If you have an original tank, the regulator is on the tank, if it has been updated, the regulator may be attached to the frame below the tank,You might try rapping the regulator with a wrench first and see if that helps, they sometimes stick inside.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face "God, grant me patience; and I need it right now!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
First, using a BBQ lighter, try to light a burner. If the flame wavers a bit, but it doesn't light, it is still blowing air out of the lines. This sometimes takes a few minutes. Keep the lighter lit and wait a bit longer for flame.
Stoves that have sat for a while are not instant on. I am repeatedly amazed at how long it takes for the air to be pushed out of the gas line and the concentration of propane is enough to light, and I've been doing this for years.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Another consideration. The newer valves have a safety feature, if gas comes out too fast the flow is gas is shut off. Turn the valve at the tank off then slowly on. Then turn the stove burners on slowly. Keep a flame at the burner on to avoid a whufff when you attempt to light the burner.
There should be movement of the BBQ lighter flame while waiting for the gas to arrive.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #8

New York
Thanks everyone! I did both, tap the valve and let the gas run for a bit. It lit, but it was thready and low. Glad it went, but I think either the regulator is off, or a leak is present?