compact jr to low - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
compact jr to low

I have a 72 com pact jr and the tires were hitting the inside of the fenders when loaded with supplies. I decided that an axle flip was the best coars of action. Instead of just doing the flip, I decided if an axle flip was a good salution, then adding 1 and 3/4 inch spacer block on toipo of that would be even better. WRONG!!! For anyone thinking of this it was a horib;e idea. I found that it raised the center of gravity way to mutch. I thought it would flip over every time I hit a bump or turn a corner. So today it was back to thbe garage to undo what I thoughbt I had just fixed.
One more note for anyone wanting to do thie axle flip on a compact Jr. The axle under it is not a tube!!! It is solid steel. wow that 2 inch thick steel will kill a drill bit. The reason for the drilling is to drill a reliefe hole for the bottome of the spring pack bolt to align the axle. Just a few helpfull hint I hope. Doing thigs the hard way and doing them over to fixe the problame is my specialty.
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Maybe you had overloaded the camper. We always loaded most of our gear in the tow vehicle. We have not had a problem. Good luck with the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath G. View Post
I have a 72 com pact jr and the tires were hitting the inside of the fenders when loaded with supplies. I decided that an axle flip was the best coars of action. Instead of just doing the flip, I decided if an axle flip was a good salution, then adding 1 and 3/4 inch spacer block on toipo of that would be even better. WRONG!!! For anyone thinking of this it was a horib;e idea. I found that it raised the center of gravity way to mutch. I thought it would flip over every time I hit a bump or turn a corner. So today it was back to thbe garage to undo what I thoughbt I had just fixed.
One more note for anyone wanting to do thie axle flip on a compact Jr. The axle under it is not a tube!!! It is solid steel. wow that 2 inch thick steel will kill a drill bit. The reason for the drilling is to drill a reliefe hole for the bottome of the spring pack bolt to align the axle. Just a few helpfull hint I hope. Doing thigs the hard way and doing them over to fixe the problame is my specialty.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the hint Richard. We thought of that and even tried towing it while empty to see if that was the case and had the same pronblame, and it did. thats ok, we will just have to take it easy on the way to Canada for the Niagra tour in 2 weeks. I thin k the springs are just flat worn out. When the axle was in the original position, I think the tires hitting the body kept it from bouncing back and forth so mutch and the minute they dont hit the body feels unstable. I will fix that for good this winter with a complete frame off, new frame, and new tortion axle. Might even get tortion axle with brakes. I am makeing a new frame just because I think the original just isn"t strong enough to be safe.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
How about just adding an extra leaf or replacing the springs if the axle is so beefy? Got a spring shop in town?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I bought a set of heavyer springs for under $40 a set several years ago for my Compact. I think I bought them from Agri Supply or maybe Northern Hyd. They were in stock in the store. Seemed to be a common spring size for utility trailers.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Cool

I raised my CJ by building a straight axle- that raised it 4 inches... And yes, it does bobble now at 70 MPH or faster.... So, I just stay at about 65 or slower. I think I would add some small shocks if I was going to do consistent high speed runs. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
The problem with spacing an axle or reversing it is the springs, they sag because they're weak and when you raise the roll center of the trailer have very little roll control etc... It really is a bad idea.
The springs can be had easily and aren't really a job to install...in all reality, you did half the job already now.
Anyone knowing the exact springs needed can contact me and i'll have my boss order them. I know he deals with trailer items alot .
Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help everyone, all good info. I kinda figured out the springs were shot when working on takeing those blocks out. I had to use the jack under the axle and it just kept going up till the spring pack was almost flat. I will just keep it slow and easy on the way to and from Canada for this last gettogether of the year and then it is a total rebuild. I would have justg went ang got the new springs but couldn't see spending the extra $40 each whe n I am going to just replace with new tortion axle this winter.