Compact Junior VIN - Where? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Oregon
Question Compact Junior VIN - Where?

Can someone give me an idea where to find the VIN on a Compact Junior?

I seem to recall a metal plate to the left of the door, but was wondering if there was another place to look. Perhaps somewhere on the trailer frame?

I'm getting ready to look at one but really leery. The owner said he never had a title (bought it second or third hand with a Bill of Sale) and can't seem to find the VIN plate.

I'm going to look at it Wednesday, hopefully he can find some paperwork and I can find the VIN. Otherwise, I may be better off letting this go.

Kevin
Kevin PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation There were no VINs in the 1970's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin PDX View Post
Can someone give me an idea where to find the VIN on a Compact Junior?

I seem to recall a metal plate to the left of the door, but was wondering if there was another place to look.
Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) were established in 1980 or 1981. Before that Trailers had Serial Numbers and had significantly fewer digits that the 17 digit VIN. My 1971 Compact Jr. four digit Serial Number (0037) is stamped on a small aluminum plate riveted to the left of the rear entry door, and that's the only place it is on my trailer.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
On my Hunter Compact-II there are two numbers, the serial number (C1308) which is also on the title, and the frame number (W136583). The serial number plate is a 2.25" square aluminum plate located on the lower left side of the front panel. The frame number plate is a small plate welded to the side of the left fame rail, about 4" aft of the coupler. The serial number plate is from Hunter Structures. The frame number plate is from Ward & Sons, who apparently built the basic frame.
If it's currently registered in the sellers name, and has been for at least a few years, there should be no problem, In CA you can request that the CHP issue a new I.D. plate based on what's on the title. Good Luck.
BTW: Was this the one recently advertised on C/L in Portland???

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #4

Oregon
Ya know - - I really meant to say 'Serial Number', but VIN is just habit, I guess.

Had the seller look on the rear near the light and he says nothing there. Thought there may be somewhere else or he wasn' sure what he was looking for.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #5

Oregon
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
On my Hunter Compact-II there are two numbers, the serial number (C1308) which is also on the title, and the frame number (W136583). The serial number plate is a 2.25" square aluminum plate located on the lower left side of the front panel. The frame number plate is a small plate welded to the side of the left fame rail, about 4" aft of the coupler. The serial number plate is from Hunter Structures. The frame number plate is from Ward & Sons, who apparently built the basic frame.
If it's currently registered in the sellers name, and has been for at least a few years, there should be no problem, In CA you can request that the CHP issue a new I.D. plate based on what's on the title. Good Luck.
BTW: Was this the one recently advertised on C/L in Portland???
No, not the one from Portland - that was bought by someone in Vancouver, WA. This is south.

Seller doesn't think he had it titled in his name. Hoping to find the SERIAL NUMBER <see, got it right that time! > So we can go do a DMV check when I go down to look at it Wednesday. We shall see what happens.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Serial Number ... is stamped on a small aluminum plate riveted to the left of the rear entry door.
It's next to the lower right corner of the license plate in this picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Compact Jr Rear Closed.jpg  
Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When you finally get it figured out, if I were you (and I'm not) I'd get one of the attached, buy a number/alpha kit from Harbor Freight, scuff it up and bolt it to the frame in a hidden area... no one would know it's not "original." I mean, how many people at your DMV even know about these trailers... DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION TO SKIRT LAWS! Here's where you get that blank plate: https://www.koolrides.com/catalog/pr...372ae24d9cae3b
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I had one which had the serial tag on the left front lower corner. Also had another trailer with it placed to the left of the door.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #9

Oregon
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When you finally get it figured out, if I were you (and I'm not) I'd get one of the attached, buy a number/alpha kit from Harbor Freight, scuff it up and bolt it to the frame in a hidden area... no one would know it's not "original." I mean, how many people at your DMV even know about these trailers... DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION TO SKIRT LAWS! Here's where you get that blank plate: https://www.koolrides.com/catalog/pr...372ae24d9cae3b
Actually, it made be a good idea to get this and mount it elsewhere on the trailer as a backup. Friend of mine had a utility trailer stolen. When it was found the serial number on the tongue had been ground off, but not the one he welded into the bottom of the frame.

Tags
vin