Composite (not steel) propane tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
We have to get a new propane tank, and I was looking for where I might get one and I stumbled on this different kind that's made out of some kind of fiberglass composite instead of steel. It's half as heavy, guaranteed for 15 years, and you can see the level of the gas inside. They sell them near me, so I called and the guy said they can be used on trailers and they're very durable.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=198463F

Has anyone seen these? Unless I find information that they don't actually work on trailers, this is definitely the way I want to go. There was a bad review on Amazon that they couldn't get it filled, but that wouldn't be a worry for me because I know where I could get it filled.
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Amy,

We just had a thread on these about a week ago.

I checked into switching and there were pros and cons. Personally, I don't think I would worry too much about people not filling them, but here's what I came up with:

1) The composite tank is more expensive, maybe about $100 compared to about $30

2) The composite tank is lighter weight, but that advantage becomes considerably less when the tank is full, because the propane weighs the same either way.

3) You can see the level in the composite tank, whereas you have to pour water on the steel one, or use a stick on gauge or something else less obvious.

4) The composite tank will likely not fit in your existing hold-down bracket (this was "the straw" that made me go steel, at least for now).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #3

Registry
Huh. I searched on the brand name. Oh well.

I think our current propane tank is strapped down with a strap. Maybe I need to be buying something else to hold it?

Quote:
Hi Amy,

We just had a thread on these about a week ago.

4) The composite tank will likely not fit in your existing hold-down bracket (this was "the straw" that made me go steel, at least for now).

Raya
Old 11-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #4

Depends on what you mean by strap. If it's a bungie or fabric... I would say that's not cool.

Often it is a bit of threaded metal rod with flat metal "hooks" that go over the rim of a single tank (metal tank style).

But if you don't have a good system, then it's less of a pain to change it. Maybe you could post a photo?

(And I realize you probably tried to search )

Raya
Old 11-27-2009, 02:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
That comment was for a two tank hold down.

Bill K

Quote:
Huh. I searched on the brand name. Oh well.

I think our current propane tank is strapped down with a strap. Maybe I need to be buying something else to hold it?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hey Amy,

We never had a link to the video. That was fun. If they are all made in Norway I understand why they cost more.

A 10 pound one is still on my wish list. Since the 20 steel one is already there I will probably just leave this on the wish list.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
There are (at least) two companies that make composite propane cylinders. One is the Clear View line, the other Lite Cylinder Company. They're comparably priced.

One of the people that attended the Northern Oregon Gathering last year had a pair of Lite Cylinders. They do fit into the standard cylinder mounts, and you can see the propane level inside. Very cool.

I've thought of getting a set, but $200 for a pair of tanks is awfully steep and I worry that someone might take a liking to them and they'd disappear while I was away from my trailer. I'd also like the option of using a cylinder exchange (swap your empty for a filled 20# cylinder) if I find myself somewhere where there's no propane filling station but I can find a cylinder exchange. The weight of the cylinders, which I usually fill when I pull the trailer into the filling station so I only need to move the things a few feet back and forth, is not really an issue for me.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
One of the people that attended the Northern Oregon Gathering last year had a pair of Lite Cylinders. They do fit into the standard cylinder mounts...
I think it depends on what your "standard" cylinder mount is. For my Boler single tank mount (which works similar to how the Scamp single tank mounts work), the hold-down system would not work like a steel tank would. It would require reworking. Not that that's bad, necessarily, but it's something that I hadn't thought about when I was first looking at the tanks, so I thought I would mention it.

I was thinking that Amy might have a mounting system like mine, since she has a similar vintage Boler 13. Worth checking anyway before buying a tank and maybe assuming it will fit without modification.

Edited to add: The composite cylinders have a plastic rim on the top, where the steel cylinders have a steel rim. This is where the straps shown below hook on. The rims aren't the same shape, and also it seemed (to me and to the propane people at a specialized gas shop) that even if you fabricated a similar-but-modified-fo-fit strap, the plastic rim was not designed to have the pressure of a point-loaded strap to hold it down. If that's wrong, and it is structurally built, I'm open to a correction (it might still require a modified strap because it's a different shape and height)

Here are a couple of photos that show what I mean. The first two are existing Bolers, and the third is a Scamp parts-department detail photo. The two black metal "straps" hook over the steel cylinders' rims, and then (at least on mine) threaded rods go down and hook into slots in the metal crossmember (tray) that's welded to the frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	propane_tank_lg.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	25263

Click image for larger version

Name:	tank2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	25265

Name:   propane_strap.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  1.9 KB
Old 11-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #9

Registry
I looked at my propane tank again and it does look like it's held by metal straps. I don't know what I was thinking.

Sometime in the next few days, I'll go by the place that carries the Clear View tanks and see what they have to say.

Tags
propane