Composting Toilet Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #1

Name: Olivia and Kyle
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Alabama
Composting Toilet Question

We have a Nature's Head composting toilet and have had an issue lately with mold in the compost. I don't know if it's because the weather has been too cold to allow the composting process to begin or if there is poor air circulation... maybe urine contamination? Has anyone ever experienced this or have any ideas?
Olivia and Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
yes it could be because of the cold temp. Composting takes place from 55% and up. It works better the warmer it is.
I would not be to worried about the mold the vent should be removing all the mold spores to the outside.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
O & K,

I have a "C-head" composting toilet. I check mine weekly or so. I never store it for extended periods of time without agitating it every now and then. Moisture can make the compost clump up and make it very difficult to agitate. If I were to long term store it, the unit would be empty and dry.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #4

Name: Olivia and Kyle
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Alabama
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt anything. I forget to keep it turning even when its not in use. That would make sense why it becomes difficult to turn when I know its nowhere near full! Thanks for all the advice!
Olivia and Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #5

Name: Beth
Trailer: eventually
Ontario
I have a C-Head as well and just wouldn't think of leaving the toilet sections with anything in them if I wasn't going to be using it for any length of time. The C-Head also uses a secondary collection unit with a gamma lid for additional solid collection and I'd also leave it empty and clean if I was going to store my rig for more than a couple of weeks.

'Composting Toilet' is a misnomer actually. Composting can take up to a year and I'm certainly not going to carry solids for THAT long. Both the C-Head and Nature's Head are more appropriately called 'separating toilets'.

If you have a home base with a yard you can certainly empty the solids container(s) and develop your own humanure processing where the composting actually takes place.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote