Connecting new thermostat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Oregon
Connecting new thermostat

I'm a new Casita owner. The thermostat didn't work (the little plastic tab that blocks the connection broke off) so I bought a new one to replace it. The new one is a Honeywell RTHL111. I just want it for the heater furnace. Taking off the old thermostat, I have two wires, both black, Where oh where do I connect these on the new thermostat? All the videos I see online refer to various wire colors. As mine are both black, that doesn't help at all.

If someone could just tell me where to attach the two wires, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Thermostat.JPG  
gsmccar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
You need to take this thermostat back and get something different. This one made for systems that have a speed control for the fan. There's lot of thermostats that will work just fine, just not this one.
You can order one like you removed here . Robot Check
Old 06-11-2015, 07:47 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Standard thermostat wiring code

R=24 volt power heat
RC= 24 volt power cooling
W= Heating
Y= Cooling
G= Fan
B= Heat pump / damper
O= Heat pump / damper
Y2= Second stage cooling
W2= Second stage heating

I agree with Byron ,take the tstat back and get one designed for heat only . The one you have has more functions than you need and you are paying for fuctions you cannot use .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
gsmccar DONT take that thermostat back yet. I simply think the two wires (non-color coded) are basically a "switch" that turns the controller board in your furnace on/off. The controller board does the "dirty" work based on some research I've done on Suburban furnaces.

Call your furnace manufacturer regardless and confirm. Then it will be a simple task of finding the on/off terminals associated with the Honeywell in "Heat" mode. Someone with a volt/ohm meter could help you with this as well.

It will be worth a shot. It appears your thermo is about $18. Not worth trying to find one less to me. I use a Hunter (very similar) that simply controls on/off to a relay that starts/stops my roof-mount unit both heat and cooling that works WONDERFULLY...and it's fully programmable and works fine. I hooked it all up myself.

**Just make sure that those two wires are looking for a switch**

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmccar View Post
I'm a new Casita owner. The thermostat didn't work (the little plastic tab that blocks the connection broke off) so I bought a new one to replace it. The new one is a Honeywell RTHL111. I just want it for the heater furnace. Taking off the old thermostat, I have two wires, both black, Where oh where do I connect these on the new thermostat? All the videos I see online refer to various wire colors. As mine are both black, that doesn't help at all.

If someone could just tell me where to attach the two wires, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #5

NW Wisconsin
The Honeywell RTHL 111 is listed for 20 to 30 VAC
I would also check to see if the thermostat is rated for 12 VDC . The switching of DC has different criteria than switching AC
Old 06-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Even if it's just "switching"? Mine was/is strictly DC 12v to the relay which switches the other side on/off ac. My Hunter handled the 12v ok.

Steve, there's a very detailed article on Casita's forum that explains all of this. That's where I got the idea for mine. It works very well and has for the past 4 yrs without a glitch.

I'd love to hear your take on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The Honeywell RTHL 111 is listed for 20 to 30 VAC
I would also check to see if the thermostat is rated for 12 VDC . The switching of DC has different criteria than switching AC
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

NW Wisconsin
I have installed tstats that use a small internal relay
whuch is controlled by the the thermostat's control board . The relay provides isolation between the furnace power and the tstat. The relays work well on AC but DC would destroy the relay due to arcing. Other types of tstats use furnace power to maintain the memory and charge the battery .
I am not stating that the Honeywell RTHL 111 will not function properly but from my trade experience
I have ran into numerous problems from mis application of products . I worked on a hospital heating control system where some one replaced a 12 VAC relay with a 12 VDC relay . The DC relay did not burn up but due to the lack of a shading coil, the DC
relay chattered .The chattering introduced spikes and destroyed a $4000 boiler control board ( twice)
I am apprehensive about using a product that is rated for AC on a DC circuit due to my experiences.
I am not trying to make this difficult. or argue .