Considerations in Importing from Europe? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #21

Name: Judith
Trailer: Eriba Puck
NC
I imported an Eriba Puck from a VW site in Belgium about 10 years ago. It was scary wiring that much money but the business was reputable and they took care of all the details regarding shipping to the Port of Charleston SC. When notified that the trailer had arrived, I neglected to read the fine print that said to call and make an appointment. I just showed up. Had to wait around for 8hrs for the Dept of Agriculture to inspect and release it. The trailor plug was european which I had not considered and had to drive 5hrs home on the Interstate in the dark with no rear lights.

The trailer wiring was 220, but it was a 70s Puck so not alot of wiring to begin with. I could have used a transformer/converter but opted to run new wiring. Mostly left the original wiring in place. I added a bunch of outlets while I was at it. Fridge, stove and furnace were propane. I did have to get an adapter to use a new US tank. The fridge also ran on 220 so I used a small transformer on it.
Judith Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #22

Name: Justus
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
Sicard will only export it through Buffalo for a $500 CAD fee. I asked about Detroit for an extra charge but they said they were only set up with an agent in Buffalo.

By exporting, you avoid the 13% HST charged in Ontario. I checked current policy and there is no way to get that refunded.

I am going to the dealership tomorrow and then following the delivery truck to the border. I'll provide an update on the handover experience.
I suppose I owe you that update.

I met my driver, Bob, at the dealership. He walked through the handover process with me. The drive is about an hour plus wait time at the border crossing. Immediately after the crossing there's a truck parking lot with pull through spots. You'll meet your driver over there. Bob handed me a folder with the ownership and export documents and helped me hitch up before he took off. I hauled the trailer 600 miles home with no plates and no issues.

I received my first quote from Sicard on June 4th, including the $500CAD export fee. That and a second quote both fell through, but Sicard did not increase the fee on me as they entered their busy season and I received a quote for a third trailer (three was the magic number in this case).

The biggest headache I had was with wiring funds to Sicard. If you are having trouble with that please feel free to PM me for details.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #23

Name: Kari
Trailer: Planning
MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
I suppose I owe you that update.

I met my driver, Bob, at the dealership. He walked through the handover process with me. The drive is about an hour plus wait time at the border crossing. Immediately after the crossing there's a truck parking lot with pull through spots. You'll meet your driver over there. Bob handed me a folder with the ownership and export documents and helped me hitch up before he took off. I hauled the trailer 600 miles home with no plates and no issues.

I received my first quote from Sicard on June 4th, including the $500CAD export fee. That and a second quote both fell through, but Sicard did not increase the fee on me as they entered their busy season and I received a quote for a third trailer (three was the magic number in this case).

The biggest headache I had was with wiring funds to Sicard. If you are having trouble with that please feel free to PM me for details.
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you had a positive experience! Do you think it was worth meeting him at the dealership? Did you find anything you needed taken care of? I just got my bill of sale, and they are still willing to bring it to Detroit, so I believe I'll be skipping the dealership. In your experience would you have missed anything by not going to the dealership? I'll see how the wiring of cash goes. My bank sucks at it, so I'm already planning on problems...
Kari B is offline   Reply With Quote