converter question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp 16
Washington
converter question

Hi,
I just purchased a Scamp 16. It has a Centurion 3000 converter. I'm assuming that the lights, water pump, etc. are 12-volt but they only work when the trailer is plugged into shore power. I know the battery is reasonably charged because the electric tongue jack works fine. Is it normal that you would have to be plugged in to have 12-volt power? I would think not because if so why would you have a battery?
Thanks.
Bill
wjquigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's a fuse under the front couch on the curb side. Check that fuse. The lights and all should work off the without being plugged in.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjquigs View Post
Hi,
I just purchased a Scamp 16. It has a Centurion 3000 converter. I'm assuming that the lights, water pump, etc. are 12-volt but they only work when the trailer is plugged into shore power. I know the battery is reasonably charged because the electric tongue jack works fine. Is it normal that you would have to be plugged in to have 12-volt power? I would think not because if so why would you have a battery?
Thanks.
Bill
What year and model is your Scamp?
Did you just change the battery?
On many Scamps there is a fuse in a holder just inside the bulkhead in the starboard side front, just inside where the wiring enters the trailer.
Some of the newer ones have the main battery fuse on the fuse panel(usually position #1)
Some have both.
Some have a fuse in the battery box.
On a stock Scamp the 12V house power at the battery uses BLACK for positive and white for negative... Check the polarity.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #4

Washington
Thanks for all the responses. It is a 2002 deluxe front bath. I will check the closet next to the bath for a fuse, and the battery box.
Bill
Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Also, that converter was often used in pop up trailers with a pressure switch to shut off the 12V when the trailer was down. You might check to see if that point in the circuit where the switch would be is cutting off the 12V side.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #6

Washington
I found a couple of blown fuses in the circuit. Now everything works except the Fantastic Fan, which I'm assuming is supposed to run on 12 volts, so I'll keep checking that circuit.
I'm surprised that there is no master battery on/off switch, like on a boat. So it's possible to inadvertently leave a light on and come back to a dead battery.
Bill
Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I found a couple of blown fuses in the circuit. Now everything works except the Fantastic Fan, which I'm assuming is supposed to run on 12 volts, so I'll keep checking that circuit.
I'm surprised that there is no master battery on/off switch, like on a boat. So it's possible to inadvertently leave a light on and come back to a dead battery.
Bill
My fantastic fan as well as a dozen or so others that I have installed, has a "little fuse" (glass cylinder fuse) in the fan housing. It looks like a black knob. Press in slightly and turn it counter clockwise a quarter turn or so to remove it.
It is wired to the fuse panel as well.
Regards;Floyd
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #8

Washington
What does converter actually do?

All this discussion raises a basic question: how is a converter different from a battery charger? My boat has a similar electrical system to the Scamp, but no converter. When it's sitting in the driveway and the charger is plugged into the house, presumably all of the 12 volt lights are running off the charger as much as the battery. Does a converter just have more capacity (amps) than a charger? Our does it shut out the battery completely when plugged in?
Thanks.
Bill
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #9

Washington
So I just noticed a bunch of older threads on converters, linked to the bottom of my post, which answered my question. Nice!
Bill
Old 12-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Bill

That's one of the first things I noticed and it's on my to-do list. Install a voltmeter and master switch as close to the battery as possible. I was really surprised that the "porch light" has an external switch. Even if you don't accidently go away and leave a light on someone else could flip the external switch and drain the battery if you're away for any length of time..

As you say, boats have battery switches and I like to know that when I exit that the batteries are off and also, if there's a problem, that I can instantly disconnect the battery.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Caution caution

When you disconnect the battery in some manner you probably turn off the propane detector. If there's a propane leak any spark could result in a loud noise.
If you really really feel the need to disconnect the battery do it so that the battery switch is outside the trailer. When turning it on wait for a couple minutes before entering the trailer to allow the propane detector to start up.

This may seem like overkill, but one time is all it takes to turn and egg into a bomb.