Converters, Inverters, LED lights and confusion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac
I guess the topic title pretty much says it all for me. I have bought a new-to-me Playpac and since I will need to redo everything anyway I'm looking at options.

I thought I may as well use LED light fixtures and save the battery. I would like to install a couple of plugs while I'm wiring (or having it wired). Now... Why not just use and inverter for the whole thing and not a converter? I'm not sure why I can't do this? There is a converter still in the camper but I have no idea of it's condition and was going to replace it anyway. I'd just as soon go state of the art if I'm replacing everything anyway.

Also - has anyone put in a on demand hot water system? Wonder how big they are and how much they weigh? The Playpac has a shower but I didn't see a hot water heater - I do see where there was a space for something - possibly it was either a furnace or hot water heater - I dunno...

I'm not in a rush on this and probably won't even start until Spring.

Thanks.

Camilla
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Camilla,

I'll pick the (relatively) easier question. Here are two threads that talk about the tankless-on demand water heaters to get you started:

Instant hot water, Do they work?

Tank less water heater, hot water

I'll let the group at large tackle the converter/inverter question. So much depends on your intended camping style. For example, will you always camp with 120v power or do you want to protect for camping with no hook ups?
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
1. Converter - Allows you to run your 12 Volt system while plugged in to shore power. The newer units also have smart battery charging circuits, which will charged your battery while plugged into shore power.

2. Inverter - Allows you to run 120 Volt items using your 12 Volt battery. Only good for running small items for short periods of time. Large items will drain the battery quickly.

3. LED lights, as with many things, have pluses and minuses. The plus side they are energy saving. The negative side, by nature they are quite directional and sometimes the color isn't as pleasing.

4. Plugs? I assume you mean outlets. 12 Volt outlets or 120 volt outlets?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Camilla,

I'll pick the (relatively) easier question. Here are two threads that talk about the tankless-on demand water heaters to get you started:

Instant hot water, Do they work?

Tank less water heater, hot water

I'll let the group at large tackle the converter/inverter question. So much depends on your intended camping style. For example, will you always camp with 120v power or do you want to protect for camping with no hook ups?
Thanks for the threads. I will be camping a variety of ways. Sometimes with hookups and sometimes without I'm going to love the convenience of having this little trailer to run around with. I have a big one and it's fine for long trips but I tell ya I hesitate to just get in the truck and take off on a whim... I just don't do that. It's major dollars in gas just to get 100 miles down the road!

With this one though!!! Oh yeah! Once I get it redone I'll be using it a lot more than the big one and I won't hesistate for a minute to just take off and go!

Camilla
Old 10-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
1. Converter - Allows you to run your 12 Volt system while plugged in to shore power. The newer units also have smart battery charging circuits, which will charged your battery while plugged into shore power.

2. Inverter - Allows you to run 120 Volt items using your 12 Volt battery. Only good for running small items for short periods of time. Large items will drain the battery quickly.

3. LED lights, as with many things, have pluses and minuses. The plus side they are energy saving. The negative side, by nature they are quite directional and sometimes the color isn't as pleasing.

4. Plugs? I assume you mean outlets. 12 Volt outlets or 120 volt outlets?
Thanks Bryon, it's difficult for me to get it all sorted out. I have appliances I want to plug in like a coffee maker and my computer mostly - oh and for sure CPAP machine.

I need to work out before I start with any diagrams how much power I'll need and how I'm going to get it. CPAP is a must and my hubby will say coffee maker is too although in a pinch I could heat water on a gas stove. The trailer does have a couple of burners. As of yet I don't know what does and doesn't work and I'll probably have to run all new lines.

Tags
led lights, lighting, lights