Converting closet to shelving - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 12:14 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Converting closet to shelving

I am planning on converting the closet to a pantry and bathroom item storage. I have glued 1/4" strips of cedar to the back of the closet, was planning on screwing 1/4" plywood to these and fit 1/4" ply down the sides. Will this be strong enough to hold the adjustable bracket tracks on the back wall that hold the 12" brackets and shelf with pantry items? Other suggestions, didn't really want to drill into the fiberglass.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Nancy, I don't know but you could try it. 3/8" should certainly be strong enough.

I did basically the same thing as you. I put shelves in both my previous Boler 13 closet and my current Trillium 4500 closet WITHOUT any holes in the fiberglass or ensolite. I used 1/2" plywood for the shelves and 1/2" plywood for left and right side. The shelves are held using four 1/4" round shelf supports screwed to each shelf pushed into 1/4" holes drilled in the left and right side.

The Boler 13 was a bit more complicated because of the wheel well in the bottom of the closet.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #3

Michigan
Registry
I used Everbilt 1/4 in. Nickel Plated Angled Shelf Supports (pack of 8 for $1.77). The plywood used in the Trillium 4500 is actually 7/16".
Old 07-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
1/4" thick 'baltic birch' ply is very sturdy and strong, water proof, and looks good with a simple varnish. its not cheap, and you have to find a speciality hardwood supplier to buy it. it also mills (router table, etc) really nicely, very clean edges, etc.

I'm suggesting 1/4" for the weight. plywood weight adds up, fast...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
Nancy, 1/4 inch wood is generally strong enough. I found that the challenge was finding shelving hardware that would hold together and hold the shelves up while bouncing down the road. That's why I chose the angled shelf supports mentioned in my earlier post. The shelves are pressure fit in between the side panels, with the angled shelf supports screwed into the shelves and pushed into 1/4" holes in the side panels. I don't have a back panel. The shelves can't possibly fall out, and we've towed 10,000 miles.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Nancy, I don't know but you could try it. 3/8" should certainly be strong enough.

I did basically the same thing as you. I put shelves in both my previous Boler 13 closet and my current Trillium 4500 closet WITHOUT any holes in the fiberglass or ensolite. I used 1/2" plywood for the shelves and 1/2" plywood for left and right side. The shelves are held using four 1/4" round shelf supports screwed to each shelf pushed into 1/4" holes drilled in the left and right side.

The Boler 13 was a bit more complicated because of the wheel well in the bottom of the closet.
How did you attach the plywood to the fiberglass sides? I did cut out some 1/4" but did not get a very good fit around the curvde.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #7

Michigan
Registry
The plywood sides are not attached to the side walls. I did it the same way in both the Boler 13 and the Trillium 4500. The side walls are held in by the fact that the shelves are snug fit between the sides. I will snap a couple of pics...
Old 07-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
In both campers I used a similar approach. In the Boler 13, I used 2 vertical strips of wood on the left side and right side of the shelves. Each shelf is fastened to the vertical strips using the aforementioned metal fasteners. In the Trillium 4500, I got lazy and just used a thin sheet of plywood on the left and right side, with each shelf fastened to them.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Trillium 4500 closet shelves

Nancy here are pics of my Trillium 4500 shelves
Attached Thumbnails
trillium shelf1.jpg   trillium shelf2.jpg  

trillium shelf3.jpg  
Old 07-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I used stainless screws to attach our shelf bracing. Strong and securet. I like the look. Click image for larger version

Name:	1530748401192.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	121439
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
While I don’t have pics
I used 3/4 pvc pipe ... easy to cut simply made some posts w/cross pieces and then cut plywood shelves to sit on top
Fit very tight didn’t even glue the pvc together
I must say I stole the idea from someone else on this site... I’m sure with some checking around you can find some pics
Good luck
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
I used stainless screws to attach our shelf bracing. Strong and securet. I like the look. Attachment 121439
[emoji1] Click image for larger version

Name:	1530749054300.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	121442Click image for larger version

Name:	1530749005854.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	121443
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:01 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Nancy here are pics of my Trillium 4500 shelves
Thanks John, they look good, I was thinking something similar, have started with my quarter inch ply. I had already cut sides and a piece for the back so decided to put it in, not a very good fit, but is ok. Took out the cedar strips and cleaned off the construction glue. Have cut half inch pieces of wood and tight fit them where I want the shelves, just playing with how much room I need for each. I will then put some small screws in to hold to ply even though they are tight. Will take pics when the camera battery is recharged.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:06 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
While I don’t have pics
I used 3/4 pvc pipe ... easy to cut simply made some posts w/cross pieces and then cut plywood shelves to sit on top
I must say I stole the idea from someone else on this site... I’m sure with some checking around you can find some pics
Good luck
Thank you Alan, I thought of the pvc pipe to keep the weight down. I also wanted to use what I already had on hand.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #15

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We used ply and those fabric bins...we can get four 10" bins (10 1/2"?) on each shelf.

All of the pics looks really good, great workmanship and great materials. Very finished and professional, all.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Ohio
Under Trailer Storage

I put 4" plastic plumbing tubing with end caps on both sides to add storage to my trailer. Might be a solution for storing stuff you currently have and definitely a nice and easy add on to my Casita.
diver3jp100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #17

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
While I don’t have pics
Good luck

I did the same with pvc pipe and had to make a pattern with cardboard as the Casita has a rounded right side. Then I cut masonite for shelf. We use shelf for easy to grab lightweight jackets or rain coats folded up.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:18 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I found a sliding bin shelve at IKEA that fits perfectly. Was a bit of a pain to assemble as it had to be done inside the closet which made installing the screws painfully slow, 2 screws @ 30 minutes each. I attached the shelves to the closet with 4, 3/8” machine screws with 2” fender washers on the Fiberglas for added support. Overall it worked out great and the wife is very happy with the extra storage. Sorry about the sideways pics 😜.
Attached Thumbnails
C587785A-83BF-457F-AE83-2E91F65B6051.jpg   991D7835-36FA-4B9D-A70B-AD53CC26BC1D.jpg  

John Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eddy View Post
I found a sliding bin shelve at IKEA that fits perfectly. Was a bit of a pain to assemble as it had to be done inside the closet which made installing the screws painfully slow, 2 screws @ 30 minutes each. I attached the shelves to the closet with 4, 3/8” machine screws with 2” fender washers on the Fiberglas for added support. Overall it worked out great and the wife is very happy with the extra storage. Sorry about the sideways pics 😜.
Thank you John, I really like this idea, it looks great. Unfortunately, no Ikea within 450 miles. Probably could use sliding draw shelves to achieve same results.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #20

Name: Pamela
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13' Deluxe
California
Scamp 13 Closet to Shelves

3/8" birch veneer, cut to match curve of outer wall, edged with birch tape, natural finish to match trailer.

Supported on straight sides with 1/2" birch screwed into wall, supported on curved side with 1/2 x 2" supports screwed through shelf from above (one visible).

Clothing cubbies built into upper shelf (middle sub-shelf not yet installed here).

Built-in pantry shelves in upper cabinet.

Convenient and sturdy so far.

Additionaly added over-dinette shelves (deluxe comes with either end or side cabinets). Left one open (with lip) and made custom MDF bins contoured to curve of roof, covered with matching curtain fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
4c Lower closet built-ins.jpg   4a Upper closet built-in pantry.jpg  

6d.jpg  
PCWeir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, vin