Converting Honda generator to propane - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: in the market
Oriental
Converting Honda generator to propane

We are in the production queue for a new Escape 19 and have a lot of questions. This one is about converting a Honda 2200 generator to propane. Has anyone done that and how do use it with your trailer? I would prefer to not have a big red plastic container of gasoline in my Jeep or the storage box on the trailer.
Mary Ann in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I believe Honda makes a conversion kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Hutch-Mountai...GN1EK9RGW5ZDTV
Old 08-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #3

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Honda 2200/ propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in NC View Post
We are in the production queue for a new Escape 19 and have a lot of questions. This one is about converting a Honda 2200 generator to propane. Has anyone done that and how do use it with your trailer? I would prefer to not have a big red plastic container of gasoline in my Jeep or the storage box on the trailer.
I used the Hutch Mt conversion and it works great. Be sure to use their spark plug. Little smell with propane and it stores better.
Bob C
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Lose output

Quote:
I tried it, didn't like it because you lose about 10% of the output using propane.
gpsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
For not much more you can buy a Pulsar® PG2200BiS - 2.2kW Gasoline/LPG Recoil Start Quiet Portable Inverter Generator.
https://generatorbible.com/generators/pulsar/pg2200bis/
I bought one for $479 and have used it a fair amount. I have never used gasoline in it and mounted a second LP tank on the Scamp so that I would not have to deal with gasoline. Runs 20 hours on a 20 lb tank.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #6

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Quote:
I did the Hutch Mountain conversion as well 2 years ago (on my pair of 2000's). It's little more "fiddly" to install up here in Canada because the Honda comes with a cold weather kit installed standard. Some additional insulation on the gas lines that needs to be cut back a bit. But it works well. Hutch Mountain also has excellent customer support!. Mine are on the back deck for power outages (I also installed a transfer switch in the house). I would rather run on propane since it stores indefinitely, as opposed to gas, which I have to empty and replace with fresh on hand with stabil at all times. You lose about 20% of your available watts, but the trade-off can be worth it, depending on how much you will need to get out of your gennie.

I am considering packing one with me in the truck. Although in 4 years in the motorhome, I never used either the Honda (first year) or the Onan once. But if I do, I will install a T in the line to run it directly from the on-board tanks.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Just a quick comment - the conversion kit is made by Hutch Mountain, not Honda, but the nice thing about it is the large regulator is on the propane tank end rather than attached to the side of the generator as in many other conversion kits.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #8

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: in the market
Oriental
I just watched the video of the Hutch Mountain conversion kit installation. We are going to give it a shot. Thanks for all the quick replies.
Mary Ann in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Awesome, I have a Honda 2000i, lots of propane and Natural Gas service at home. I always keep and rotate 2 gallon cans of non-ethanol gas for the generator and lawn mower. But it would be great to not have as many on hand waiting on a hurricane that may or may not happen.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
You will also find that the engine will run cleaner on propane than gasoline. Less byproducts of combustion to contaminate the motor oil. Carburetor will never clog up from varnishes in old fuel or ethanol.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #11

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
We have a Honda 2200i with the Hutch Mountain kit. We're set up to run propane when we camp and would like A/C, and run natural gas, when the power utility shuts off the grid (happens in CA fire season).
The photo shows the exterior metering regulator. We use a flex. appliance connector to connect to either natural gas (outlet w/stop valve on the garage wall), or propane tank with pressure regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
gen 5.jpg  
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #12

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
The conversion kit is great. Did my 3500k with no problem. Be sure to order or have access to the required hoses. Love not having gasoline in containers and always need propane.
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, propane