Converting Rust? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Has anyone had experience with the chemicals that turn rust into a black paintable surface?

I have a steel angled cross member under the Scamp Battery box out front that has become corroded annd rusty from battery corrosion under the Positive battery terminal. The stuff has dripped down thru the box and onto the steel.

I cleaned the area with a wire brush and wiped it clean and then I sprayed some of this stuff onto the steel.
I applied 3 light coats as instructed and then let it sit overnight.

I ended up with steel that is treated looking but far from the black primable surface described on the can?

I am wondering if I shook the can enough and even really got any of the treatment onto the metal?

I also wonder if the claims of the chemical reaction that converts the rust are B.S. or even just embellished or should it have turned out black?

I understand the process from reading about it prior to trying it so I can not be sure if I did any good or just sealed in the rust I was left with after brushing.

Any thoughts.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I follow the lead of hotrodders. These people spend thousands of dollars on their rides and they're going to use the best product available. Por-15

Anytime you hear someone say they use so-and-so product and touch it up every year or so, ask yourself WHY they're bothering with an inferior product.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Years ago I bought one of these products, fully expecting to loose my money on a 'scam' product.

My project was a MUCH rusted expandible luggage rack which is designed for old/antique cars n trucks. It mounts to the running boards of same vehicles and usually (but not always) left bolted on. You might well imagine how corroded these things became over the years, not to mention that NOW these thing can EASILY be aroung 80 YEARS OLD!!!

I applied the product as directed, waited a few days, sorta liked the results but decideed to re-do it just to see HOW well it worked on scond application. Well the second coating did give mildly better results and the bottom line is YES it did convert the rust (to a paintable surface) but did NOTHING to remove the results of YEARS of pitting that accumulated on the rack. I think one MUST (somehow) remove THAT pitting to gain full benefits of this sort of product. Again JMHO!!!!

On a hot rod forum I read at, there is ALSO a (related) thread about rust removal (conversion) using molasses!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Rust Reformer by Rustolieum, extend and Por-15 in liquid form applied by a brush is superior to the spray on stuff and 2 coats usually results in a very black surface. Mp paing, mo black.

It converts the rust and if in the sun it should be painted over to keep the UV rays off of it.

I use the spray where brushing is dificult.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote