Converting Side Bench to Bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Converting Side Bench to Bed

This is for my ParkLiner, but I imagine it would be similar for most fiberglass rvs.

I travel by myself, so I can get by with a narrower bed. Instead of converting the rear to a queen size bed, I would rather use it as a 4 person table. That means I need to convert the side lounge/table to a bed.

There is about 30" between the lounge and stove area. I would like to use about 1/2 of that to widen the bed. I would have to convert it back every morning and again every night to have enough room to use the stove, sink, and refrigerator, and have easy access to bathroom.

Has anyone already come up with a solution to do this? It would be great if it was a folding/pullout sofa type of solution so there were not a bunch of parts to have to store.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #2

Virginia
I made a small platform to use as a proof of concept. I only had 2x2's handy, so that's what I used as slats. When I make the real one, I will use either 1x3s or 1x4s. I'm also trying to come up with detachable legs.

This is about 1 foot long and I plan to make it about 6 1/2 ft - 7 ft. I don't know yet if it makes more sense to make it 1 , 2, or 3 pieces. It would probably be difficult to move it in and out if it is all 1 piece, so probably 2 or 3.

The idea is to leave it under the side cushions and then at night, pull it out and put the back cushions on the extension.

Closed and Opened.
Attached Thumbnails
closed.jpg   open.jpg  

Old 10-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This one came to my mind. I think the slide-out is a solid plywood piece rather than slats. I like how it is wider at the head, where you really need the space, than the feet. In your case I was wondering about the bathroom door. Will a full-length pull-out interfere? If so, this is one possible solution.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-74605.html
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #4

Virginia
I've come up with a much better way to have a smaller bed that is quick to put up and take down.

This is what it looks like when configured as 2 bench seats with the table up. The table is a double table, but folded over.

I bought 2 pieces of birch plywood that easily store under the cushions on each bench. They easily slide into place to create a smaller bed platform.

Then the cushions from the bench seats are placed over the plywood and I have a twin bed with the table still up.

But I still have 1 problem. The pole that holds up the bed just uses the weight of the table to hold it in place. I can easily roll into the table and knock the leg loose collapsing the table. Below is a picture of the foot of the table leg. I need some way to fasten it to the floor without drilling holes or anything that is permanent. I am wondering if using vhb tape to attach a fitting to the floor might work. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
original.jpg   plywood.jpg  

smallbed.jpg   lleg.jpg  

Old 11-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Interesting
I’ll be following this for ideas
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #6

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Huck, you might be able to wedge a piece of 2x6 lumber between the leg and the back wall, with a notch cut out for the leg.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #7

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
A bit of Velcro on the end of the board will add a bit of insurance
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Huck, you might be able to wedge a piece of 2x6 lumber between the leg and the back wall, with a notch cut out for the leg.
Good idea. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

Virginia
I decided to try a floor flange. Got this one at Lowes.

I put vhb tape on the bottom of the flange, but tried it without adhering to the floor. It seemed to hold the table tightly in place. I left the cap on the leg, so the leg just sits in the hole and does not go all the way down. If I need to, I can remove the cap and then the leg will slide down another inch into the flange.

If this works, it will be a great solution because when I open the table, the leg and flange will just slide into the new position.
Attached Thumbnails
floor flange.jpg   tablewithflange.jpg