Cooktop didn't work at altitude - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2020, 11:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Cooktop didn't work at altitude

I have a new Dometic cooktop. Tested it several times at sea level and it lit immediately. Took the trailer up to 7,000 feet. Turned on the knob to 'ignite' and nothing, no sound of gas flowing. Frige, furnace and water heater all worked. But not the cooktop. Next morning, tried the cooktop, and it worked! HURRAH! So what was the problem?

Thanks,
Francene
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:51 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
I have a new Dometic cooktop. Tested it several times at sea level and it lit immediately. Took the trailer up to 7,000 feet. Turned on the knob to 'ignite' and nothing, no sound of gas flowing. Frige, furnace and water heater all worked. But not the cooktop. Next morning, tried the cooktop, and it worked! HURRAH! So what was the problem?

Thanks,
Francene
Not trying to be critical here, but if everything else was working and the cooktop started working the next morning, perhaps operator error or operator confusion. Years ago, when i bought my first Weber Q grill, I tried it out and it worked fine. Six or so months later I went camping and lit it. I then turned it all the way to high but the flame just wasn’t as high and the grill temperature wasn’t getting as hot as I expected. After fussing about it for 10 minutes, I realized that at the ignite setting it is on high, and I had actually turned it “up” to the lowest setting. I suspect you did something wrong and suggest that you reread the owners manual section that covers igniting the burners.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:15 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Dont know about the Dometic, but the Suburban stove in Scamps has a separate regulator which is inside the stove.. so the pressure is regulated first by the main regulator and then the stove lowers it again for the burners. The stove regulator could be bad if it is like the Suburban.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
I suspect the cooktop has it's own regulator.
When it didn't start, it was NOT getting GAS. I heard no gas sound. When working properly, there was a gas hissing sound. So it wasn't the igniter. Tried to light with a match and nothing. The gas was not being supplied to the cooktop.
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #5

Name: Arthur
Trailer: Between RV's But Shopping
Mississippi
Atmospheric pressure change due to a shift in altitude can cause all manner of issues in an RV. From erupting toilets to gas shut-down.

I would venture a guess that the stove-top regulator was just temporarily confused and not allowing gas flow. Especially since you said it worked fine the next day.
Arthur II is offline   Reply With Quote