Cooling fan for an Icebox? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
During my restoration, I replaced the old Ice box with a new one. I had the issue of only 14 1/2 in depth under the counter. I would like to install a cooling fan in the Icebox. Has anyone ever done this? Kinda convert the ice box into a 12v cooler. I'm sure you have seen those car coolers out there that plug into cigarette lighters. Anyone know where one could buy just the cooling fan?

Mike
Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Since an Ice Box is sealed and not vented, I would suggest a FridgeCool Fan. They are a common item at any camping store.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Since an Ice Box is sealed and not vented, I would suggest a FridgeCool Fan. They are a common item at any camping store.
Unfortionatly, this is a fan, not a cooling unit. I'm looking for a cooling unit. Ice box's can be vented, that's the easy part.

Thanks though.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'm sure you could put a peltier cooler in. (pronounced pel-te-a) Do a google search to find different kinds and sizes. These are the same cooling/heating element in those portable, plug into your vehicle power coolers. I think that's the kind of thing you're talking about. You'll need the full assembly, actual peltier, heat sink, and fan to make them work. They're not really every efficient, but do work.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
after you do all the engineering and take the time to make it, you might be better off buying one of these Coleman powerchill and removing the cooling assembly.. or just using it.

I had one for my pop ups, they do work pretty good unless its horridly hot outside. You can buy a converter for them as well.

I see them at wally world for 67 bones all the time. I think mine came with the converter, but I don't remember.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
after you do all the engineering and take the time to make it, you might be better off buying one of these Coleman powerchill and removing the cooling assembly.. or just using it.

I had one for my pop ups, they do work pretty good unless its horridly hot outside. You can buy a converter for them as well.

I see them at wally world for 67 bones all the time. I think mine came with the converter, but I don't remember.
Hi Gina,
That's not a bad idea! Lets say i did do this, once I had the cooling assembly installed on the ice box, would it need to be vented out the side like normal RV frig's? I'm thinking no because these coolers are desighted to be used in cars, RV ect.........

??????? opinions ????????????
Old 03-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
These cool relative to the air outside. I would say, since the fan basically sucks warm air OUT of the box, that venting it in some way would be good if you have it in an enclosed (Like in tightly enclosed) space. You would just be taking warm air out of the box and redistributing it around the box again.

Obviously, with a tent trailer, I had plenty of natural ventilation. Still, on really hot days, I got enough cooling to keep sodas drinkable, but definitely not ice cold. I put blue ice thingies in and that helped quite a bit.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
These cool relative to the air outside. I would say, since the fan basically sucks warm air OUT of the box, that venting it in some way would be good if you have it in an enclosed (Like in tightly enclosed) space. You would just be taking warm air out of the box and redistributing it around the box again.

Obviously, with a tent trailer, I had plenty of natural ventilation. Still, on really hot days, I got enough cooling to keep sodas drinkable, but definitely not ice cold. I put blue ice thingies in and that helped quite a bit.

Actually the fan doesn't move any air inside the box. The Peltier has electric properties that when current is passed through the device one side cools and the other heats. The associated heat sink improve efficiency by moving the cold or hot air away from the part of device that's outside the box, they will hardly work at all without it. All cooling and heating inside an enclosure is effected by the amount of insulation and the temperature outside the box as well as the ability of the cooling/heating element inside the box. This is true for refrigerators, houses, and trailers.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
I have the Colman 12v cooler and I have to say it does a very good job. It is correct that it cools relative to ambient temperature but milk won't spoil running it for a week in a 75 degree house. We used it in a relative's basement which I think was likely in the low 60's and everything froze. The unit blows cold circulating air inside and blows room air over the its coil outside. So you are not actually exchanging air between the two.

Now the bad news. Unless you are hooked up to AC or the engine is running it will kill a battery in about 2 1/2 hours according to the manual. I haven't wanted to try so I can't confirm it. Mostly we use it "on" while traveling and then as a straight cooler if there is no AC around.

The smaller 6-pack units have no internal fans and you could certainly cannibalize one of those from a yard sale, but I wonder if they have enough cooling power for a large icebox.
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote