Copper Tubing for LP - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Newfoundland
Copper Tubing for LP

Hey folks,

I need to run some new propane lines for the furnace, stove, and fridge in my surfside. The previous owners installed lines, but the copper was really kinked in places where the tubing was bent, to the point where it looked as if it might crack. Is there such thing as a high quality copper tubing that you can make 90 degree bends with? Or would I just need to buy elbows for all my 90’s? Just trying to reduce the number of connections in the line.
JasonGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Me, If I were going to replumb the LP and the lines run under the camper I would use the direct burry copper that has a bonded rubber coating and use elbows.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There are simple tools available for making bends in copper and steel tubing without kinking the line.I have a few different ones. You'll also need a flaring tool. General rule is no connections inside the trailer except at the appliance, and keep all connections where they can be seen and tested for leaks. EDIT use soft copper tubing that comes in a coil, not straight copper.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
There are simple tools available for making bends in copper and steel tubing without kinking the line.I have a few different ones. You'll also need a flaring tool. General rule is no connections inside the trailer except at the appliance, and keep all connections where they can be seen and tested for leaks. EDIT use soft copper tubing that comes in a coil, not straight copper.
I’m with Bob , get a tubing bender . Using unnecessary fittings just increases the number of potential leak points
Knowing trig and gain will help in locating the bends
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #5

Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Thanks. I’ll try the bending tool. I was going to make my connections in the vented space behind my fridge. There’s a removable vented grill for accessing the controls at the rear of the fridge from outside of the trailer. I’m hoping that should offer enough ventilation, plus it’s easy access for testing for leaks.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
there are different grades of copper tube... use "K" copper it is thicker walled and a bit harder to work with but safer.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:58 PM   #7

Newfoundland
Thanks Gerry, good to know!
Old 05-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #8

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Exclamation One More Observation

Note that you will need to use flare fittings when working the copper. LP requires flare fittings unlike air/water where it is possible to use compression fittings. Here is a link that explains the difference.

Also, if you don’t have one, an inexpensive flaring tool can be found at Harbor Freight or Ace Hardware and just about any big box hardware store.

Remember to slide the nut from the fitting onto the copper line before flaring it.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #9

Name: Nick
Trailer: scamp
California
Copper tubing

A couple of points; the grade of copper tubing you use is very important, it must be type ACR or L, ACR comes cleaned and sealed from the factory it is necessary for refrigeration systems to prevent contamination. Type L is not as meticulously prepared but both are heavy walled and in 3/8” it comes in fully annealed rolls. You can buy an inexpensive tubing bender that will handle 3/8” at HD or Harbor Freight, HF a better selection of tools for this kind of work. It definitely takes some practice, when bending consecutive bends that go in different directions it is easy to go the wrong way! Using fittings is mostly used in refrigeration work, the 90’s have long sweeps to keep pressure drops low. We really are supposed to use brass fittings in trailers as solder could melt in a fire, don’t need that!!
If you are inexperienced best to go with brass compression fittings and some bending, it will be a lot easier and safer. Good luck
Nick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Thanks Nick! That was educational.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I did residential propane service and installation for a few years. In comments above Gerry says use type K copper, which I believe is straight non bendable lengths only. Then Larry B says to use flare fittings only. Next Nick says to use compression fittings. I agree with Larry as in my work we were not allowed to use compression fittings on propane lines. So by now OP (Jason) must be totally confused and my advice is to get a professional person experienced in propane installation to do the work.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:01 PM   #12

Newfoundland
I called a supplier today and was told I need to use G Type copper tubing for LP. Yup, pretty confusing stuff for sure. I’m very surprised there are so many varying opinions out there for something that I would have thought to be pretty standard. It’s obviously not as simple as I thought. I think I may just go and get it professionally done. That way if I ever have to do it again I’ll just mimic whatever the pro does. Thanks everybody for the input.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Maine
Tight bends using salt

I'm installing a new gas line too with multiple bends because new fridge has the fitting pointing in a different direction from the old one. After watching many YouTube videos showing how to make very tight bends by packing the tube with either water, ice, sand or salt, I'm thinking about trying the salt method. Anyone have luck with that?
Mique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #14

Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mique View Post
I'm installing a new gas line too with multiple bends because new fridge has the fitting pointing in a different direction from the old one. After watching many YouTube videos showing how to make very tight bends by packing the tube with either water, ice, sand or salt, I'm thinking about trying the salt method. Anyone have luck with that?
I watched a video last night where the guy packed the tube with sand. Looks like it would work. I may try it on a small piece first. Have you bought your tubing yet? If so, what type did u buy?
Old 05-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGill View Post
I watched a video last night where the guy packed the tube with sand. Looks like it would work. I may try it on a small piece first. Have you bought your tubing yet? If so, what type did u buy?
Yes, a sales rep at the tubing company that supplies to the big box stores suggested 3/8"OD x 10' Refrigeration Copper Coil sold at Home Depot. It's clean on the inside and higher quality that the cheaper stuff. SKU 647 791 $16.15 USD
Mique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:56 PM   #16

Newfoundland
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2021, 06:59 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGill View Post
Years back the largest size EMT electrical conduit was 2” so the EMT benders only went up to 2”” . When 2 1/2” , 3” & 4” EMT came out we had to improvise a bender so we packed the conduit with sand ,capped the ends and bent the conduit between the tires of the construction trailer .
Worked okay for kicks and offsets , not so much for 90’s and saddles
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:15 PM   #18

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I've worked with a fair number of propane lines. Other than agreeing with using flared fittings I'm only going to suggest that you go to a small rv repair shop and ask what they use. Beyond that make sure you have no connection in or above enclosed areas. You probably know that propane is heavier than air and will accumulate in those areas which is the reason for trailer explosions. They're a lot worse than fires.
It's not difficult to run copper if you take your time and are willing to start over when something doesn't work. You don't want any unnecessary connections.
It's always good to learn something new.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:03 AM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I'm kind of surprised that copper-nickel isn't used for propane lines that are under the trailer and exposed to road debris. This stuff was invented for brake lines as a better alternative to the commonly used tin plated steel, which rusts if it gets nicked.

re sand, I've used hot sand to bend poly-pipe it keeps it from collapsing when you get it hot enough to bend. never heard of it being used for metal tubing of any sort. biggest issue would be getting all the quartz dust out of the inside of the tubing so you don't clog burner orifices.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:18 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
They make a device for bending copper pipe. It works. If you don't want to use it, try vinegar or dryer sheets.