Correcting a chip in gelcoat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Correcting a chip in gelcoat

What would be the best way to fill and correct this chip in the gelcoat on my Scamp 13. Looks as if something kicked up from the road surface on a recent trip and caused this. It's about 3/32W x 1/2L.

Thanks,

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF6803.jpg   DSCF6804.jpg  

Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Jack, Scamp sells gelcoat at their website. Problem is that they won't ship it, also its a gallon and that's way more than you need. You could contact Scamp and ask where to buy matching gelcoat.

It appears you have a minor chip, so not too much effort to repair. Check "Boatworks Today" tutorial videos on youtube for techniques, tools to use, etc.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Jack, Scamp sells gelcoat at their website. Problem is that they won't ship it, also its a gallon and that's way more than you need. You could contact Scamp and ask where to buy matching gelcoat.

It appears you have a minor chip, so not too much effort to repair. Check "Boatworks Today" tutorial videos on youtube for techniques, tools to use, etc.
Marinetex will work just fine for a small chip
Old 01-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Thanks for the reply's.
Actually I contacted Scamp service and they suggested I check with a automotive parts store on info and materials for repairing the problem. I will look at the Marinetex as well.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:53 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
not sure if it will match "scamp white" but i used a fiberglass shower/tub repair kit from lowe's/home depot on my casita and it worked great.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I made a good Loonie sized ding in my trailer which was pretty much limited to the gelcoat. I did as John suggested and got some from Escape, which they provided for free. It was a 500ml pop bottle full, which was WAY more than I needed, but I just added a wee bit of hardener to a couple tablespoons, and fixed things up nicely.

You can easily pick up a gelcoat repair kit in many locations and mix up your own with a colour to match close enough. They are not pricey and do the job well.

Lots of videos out there to show how to do the fix.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #7

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I bought a gel coat repair kit from Bass Pro shop (on the shelf in the marina/boat dep’t). $25. It came w/ colors that you mix to color-match your finish. I had no problem mixing-up a batch of “Scamp White,” and it looks really good now. Like Jim said, there are YouTube tutorial videos that show how to do it. Good luck!
Doc.Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #8
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
Smile Scamp chip

You can also get info. from a chevy body shop. They have been repairing fiberglass since 1953. Corvette.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:10 AM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
if is a deep gouge I fill it with some epoxy putty stick then top it with some brush on gel coat touch up that comes in little bottles. The epoxy putty come from the hardware store, the gel coat touch up from a marine store .
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #10

Massachusetts
Many thanks for all the responses, a lot of great ideas to help me correct the problem. I am just waiting for the weather to warm up before I select a fix for this. Thanks to all.

Jack