Could I have locked my Scamp keys inside? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2024, 12:24 PM   #1

Name: Adrinne
Trailer: currently shopping
OH
Could I have locked my Scamp keys inside?

Hi all,

Is it physically possible to lock your scamp keys inside a scamp? Ours is a 2014 13' scamp.

We returned from a trip, unloaded and locked up. Haven't seen the keys since.

I'm worried I tossed them with the recycling - oof.

If it's not possible to lock them inside, what do you recommend my next steps be? Call scamp? Locksmith?

THANK YOU!
adriennemehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 03:52 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriennemehta View Post
Hi all,

Is it physically possible to lock your scamp keys inside a scamp? Ours is a 2014 13' scamp.

We returned from a trip, unloaded and locked up. Haven't seen the keys since.

I'm worried I tossed them with the recycling - oof.

If it's not possible to lock them inside, what do you recommend my next steps be? Call scamp? Locksmith?

THANK YOU!
In 2014, every Scamp used the same key for the door. Do you know any other Scamp owners near you? It is a common key.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:33 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Not if you properly shut the door.

Quote:
Hi all,

THANK YOU!
Long time Scamp owners never slam the door, they release the latch push the door shut and release the handle.
No lock smith needed, just remove the screws from the handle and turn the whole handle. Also as said most keys were the same, order a 112 key set, the letters are the company that made it.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp key.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:43 PM   #4

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
There's something disturbing about the concept that one key fits all Scamps, using a key that possibly can be purchased at Walmart. I saw stuff like this in the US Army, when one key could be used on every M1008 pickup truck.

And, I think I remember that years ago, Nissan's "Z" cars had the same key..well, I think it was four keys, that fit everyZ car they made. Let's make it easy for car thieves, what?

Scamps aren't cheap, it sounds like corner cutting to me. I can't think of any reason why Scamp can't make a key specifically for each Scamp they build. The car companies have been doing that for years.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 05:08 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Registry
Easy lock to change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
There's something disturbing about the concept that one key fits all Scamps, using a key that possibly can be purchased at Walmart. I saw stuff like this in the US Army, when one key could be used on every M1008 pickup truck.
Scamps aren't cheap, it sounds like corner cutting to me. I can't think of any reason why Scamp can't make a key specifically for each Scamp they build. The car companies have been doing that for years.
Note also that the hinge bolts are on the OUTSIDE of the Scamp. It is not as secure as your tow vehicle.
Most hardware stores have the locks but they call then garage door locks. The shaft will need to be cut shorter for the scamp doors.
Attached Thumbnails
33 lock.jpg  
Old 06-17-2024, 05:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
A crow bar or pry bar will pop open the door. And while it may damage the door, anyone using such a measure isn't concerned about damage. Seriously. A door lock may give the owner a measure of security, but it's not much.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 06:15 PM   #7

Name: Nigel
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
Locks keep honest people out.
NigelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 11:45 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Did you get in?

Quote:
Hi all,

THANK YOU!
Inquiring (snoopy) people want to know. If the emergency egress window is not locked on mine, that's another way in. All Scamps have a 2nd way out, it is good to know the way before you get locked IN.
Old 06-22-2024, 10:41 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We got locked out of our 2009 scamp 13 footer years ago with keys inside. Donít know how it happened, but it did. We were on the road and far from home. My (more supple) wife managed to shimmy through the rear window with no lasting damage to the Scamp (or wifeÖ.).
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 01:40 PM   #10

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:

And, I think I remember that years ago, Nissan's "Z" cars had the same key..well, I think it was four keys, that fit everyZ car they made. Let's make it easy for car thieves, what?

For a long time car keys were like 7-10 versions per maker/year.

Not really sure why one would be that concerned about the keys. Frankly I seldom lock it. It you are concerned this is a standard kind of handle. Your lock smith can get you with a different key. And you can install it with security screws.

If you do need to have your camper worked on by a lock smith. One secret at least around here. Generally the better lock smiths actually also have retail operatons. Around here they charge A LOT less for drive in business. Have not had my camper worked on, but have had my car worked on. If I could bring the car in for an appointment it was like 30 bucks for what they would charge 200-300 for if they come to you.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp