Couple of minor planning questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

Name: Jasson
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13
Washington
Couple of minor planning questions

So now that the U-Haul is home and sitting in my parking strip, I'm looking at what I'm want to do inside it. At the very least I'm going to be taking it somewhere to get the propane lines checked and the one that runs to where the heater use to be capped off so I can use the stove. In Texas it made sense to not use it, but here in the northwest I do want to get that fixed up and running and with something like that I kind of want a someone who really knows what they are doing going over it.

I'm debating trying to get a fridge so I'm looking around at dometic and the like options, but the thought also crossed my mind since it looks like a few people have gone the route of just a dorm fridge on the 110, how well would that double as an ice box with a little dry ice if I was camping somewhere without power?

In some of the other photos of peoples eggs I've noticed a fair number of what looks like wood floors, any recommendations for flooring product to use if I look at replacing the carpet with one of those?

The cup that holds the base of the table is cracked and wobbles a little, so I'm looking at replacing that. The one that's in there now is one of the flush mounted ones, and I like the idea of not having the raised mount for the table leg are there any pros or cons between the 2 bases I should know about before replacing it?

Thanks in advance, this place has been so helpful even just browsing I'm trying now to decide what I'm doing based on some of the other ideas kicked around for shelving under the sink and where the heater use to be as well.

~Jasson
Quillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Congratulations on the beginning of your trip into fiberglass trailer ownership.

Fridge?? If expected to spend of my camping time with 2 to 3 day trips, and 1 or 2 weeks once or twice a year. I wouldn't bother with a fridge of any kind. Simply use the same old cooler used for tent camping. Here in the Pacific North Wet that's about all you really need.

To aid in lack of need for fridge, look to backpacking cook books and information to learn how to make great meals without the need for refrigeration. Even when traveling to Southwest we have very, little if anything, in fridge that can't stand a day without refrigerator temperatures.

Since you live in the North West my guess you'll be wanting to spend a lot of time in National Forests and National Parks. Those places generally speaking don't have electricity and are much cheaper than WA state parks, and private RV resorts.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillian View Post
So now that the U-Haul is home and sitting in my parking strip, I kind of want a someone who really knows what they are doing going over it.

Congrat's! I agree, let the professional handle that!

In some of the other photos of peoples eggs I've noticed a fair number of what looks like wood floors, any recommendations for flooring product to use if I look at replacing the carpet with one of those?

A lot of people just pick up wood flooring from Big box stores. Whatever type you want, where ever you can get it at the best price. Besides wood, Cork is a great option as well........

The cup that holds the base of the table is cracked and wobbles a little, so I'm looking at replacing that. The one that's in there now is one of the flush mounted ones, and I like the idea of not having the raised mount for the table leg are there any pros or cons between the 2 bases I should know about before replacing it?

I believe those are a universal size (if not I am sure someone will be along to correct me) but you should be able to pick up at any RV dealership parts dept, Camping world in store as well as on line. Can't help you with the pro's/con, because I have never had to replace.

Thanks in advance, this place has been so helpful even just browsing I'm trying now to decide what I'm doing based on some of the other ideas kicked around for shelving under the sink and where the heater use to be as well.

~Jasson

Again, Congrat's! Please take pic's and post them, love to see interior pics. Enjoy it!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Whether an ice box or dorm frig or 3-way is needed depends on your camping style.... and budget.

Flooring? Burro's aren't known for having the most level seamless floors. Be aware putting down faux wood requires a lumpless subfloor. You may find vinyl to be easier to deal with, there are tons of colors and options. Easy to clean too. One or the other, that too depends on your particular trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think the wood floor would weigh a lot more than sheet vinyl as well. The UHaul floor has high points at the edges and at the middle seam.

The flush base is a standard part. Be sure to seal the laminated floor when you replace it, to keep the plywood in the middle of the sandwich dry.

The counter is a little shallow for most fridges. I'm currently installing a little Model 323 Norcold in mine and the fridge will have to stick out about 1 1/2 inches.

Refrigerator Conversion Chart
Old 05-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Congrats on the Uhaul!

We use a dorm fridge in our Uhaul, although we have a VT. I suspect that the counters are the same size. Ours just sticks out a bit. We never camp without power though.

I concur about KOAs and WiFi. They are also always clean and well-kept in our experience.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok, first happy days for you.
now as to what you should do. the absolute minimum to get you camping.
that way, as you camp you will quickly discover what you need, and what you can do without. thus slowly building your camper to an exact fit for you.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillian View Post
I'm debating trying to get a fridge so I'm looking around at dometic and the like options, but the thought also crossed my mind since it looks like a few people have gone the route of just a dorm fridge on the 110, how well would that double as an ice box with a little dry ice if I was camping somewhere without power?

~Jasson
You might want to consider an ice box, scamp parts store online has them, not sure of the dimensions. A poster here added foam insulation around the the box and was getting 4 days from fozen milk jugs.

I liked my old 12 volt compressor type fridge. When connected to shore power they run on own transformer or switch to battery when shore power is disconnected. With solar they would support boondocking. I put a cut off switch on the 12 volt battery line so I could control battery use.

tip: freeze blue ice packs in freezer and run during cool part of morning and evening then shut off stays cool (butter & eggs) not cold (milk multi day).
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #9

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Congratulations on the trailer. I think you'll love the helpfulness of everyone here.

Fridge: My wife and our camping style mandate cold storage. When we used to just travel to parks with AC we used dorm fridges. It stayed cold enough during travel. Be careful the door doesn't open over a bump while traveling. It happened to me and I bungy corded it shut after that. We now use a 12V/120V fridge for more flexibility and like it.

Flooring: We put "wood" flooring in, but we used Allure from home depot. It looks good, is vinyl (waterproof for the kids!), and installs easily. I installed it in just a few hours right over the existing carpet. If you need more hints on how to do it, let me know.

Good luck!
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
tip: freeze blue ice packs in freezer and run during cool part of morning and evening then shut off stays cool (butter & eggs) not cold (milk multi day).
RogerDat I know its a bit off topic but I have a question in regards to the above. I also use ice packs in my fridge to keep things cool when traveling and put them back into the freezer compartment when hooked up. All fine if running 12V or 110 but do you have any issues with your fridge having problems running on propane if there are items in the freezer? Mine does not dont do well if the freezer compartment is full & I run it on propane..... if I empty the freezer compartment it does much better, just wondered if that was a problem unique to my fridge or if others have the same problem.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I have not had a propane fridge for years, replace with a used 12v/110 compressor model when it died in my old camper. Have not tried the propane of my scamp.

But from what I do recall air circulation inside fridge was important, only the metal freezer actually gets cold on the ones I have seen (older models). You can see the cooling tubes embedded in the alum. sides and top/bottom of freezer.

Thinking out loud. If electric and propane both provide heat to circulate and compress coolant and it works better on electric heating element.... either propane is not providing expected flame or it's just less efficient.

Full less of the surface of freezer is exposed to "drop" cold air on rest of fridge.

Might try one of those tiny battery powered in fridge air circulators to move more air past the freezer when it's full.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...f-switch/38134
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Might try one of those tiny battery powered in fridge air circulators to move more air past the freezer when it's full.
Thanks I do have one of those and its the one thing that actually keeps the fridge somewhat usable when on propane - the fridge works just ok on propane in average temps but it becomes problematic when the outside temps start to go up..... I am thinking of taking the trailer in to have the propane system checked (its due) and ask they look at the fridge flame - it looks to me to be burning clean but perhaps not. I have noticed some people have put the small computer fans at the back to help out - just not sure I have the no how to do that mod well..... get worried when dealing with things that involve power - whether 12v or 110
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote