Cover for 13 foot egg? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Cover for 13 foot egg?

I have found two things, the $69 one from eBay, and $600 from A custom company. I can't find the better eBay one in a 13. Any suggestions? I need to park under a pine tree so need it to protect from sap and scratches, could be fairly windy, too.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Bobbie. Maggie made our awning from ripstop fabric she bought at the local fabric store. As I recall it comes in a 5 ft width so she needed to sow two pieces together. We added plastic grommets to tie it down. I would expect it to be gentler than a plastic tarp on your finish. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I have found two things, the $69 one from eBay, and $600 from A custom company. I can't find the better eBay one in a 13. Any suggestions? I need to park under a pine tree so need it to protect from sap and scratches, could be fairly windy, too.
That $600 one, would it be from California Car Cover??

Ours has large roll up door (that uses velcro to secure it while rolled up), elastic corners plus 2 grommets on each corner and one on either side in the middle bottom of the trailer. Elastisized corners have held the cover in place without needing to secure it further. We have just survived a wind/rainevent with about 60mph winds and the cover never even moved. THIS in comparison to a trailer stored two spaces north of ours that has a lightweight (generic??) cover which has almost blown half way off the trailer. I say half way, because the owners had decided to very lightly tie down the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
covered trailer1.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

Registry
It was CalMark. I don't find trailer covers listed on California Car Covers site.

How bulky and heavy is yours to store?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I use a horse trailer cover, and sorry can't remember the manufacturer. It has three under-trailer straps plus a cord setup to pull tight in the front and back. It sat on my trailer during Hurricane Irene and did not budge (noting that Philadelphia was inland from the worst of the hurricane, but we did get a good bit of heavy winds).

Anyway, it seems that covers made for horse trailers are suspiciously similar to covers made for RVs, but cost much less.

Oh, and as for storage size, it folds up into a bundle and stuffs into a bag that I would compare to a very large load of laundry. I can easily get my arms around it, and it's very lightweight.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #6

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
from eBay

Not sure if this is what you found. http://stores.ebay.ca/elitemotoronline I bought one and I'm very happy with it.
Phil

Quote:
Old 11-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #7

Registry
Now I see the higher quality or at least higher priced 13s, I Assume they are all the same cover. Thanks. Did you buy the deluxe or the cheaply? Two year vs, one year warranty?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is coming from someone who knows about finishes on high-end hot rods... your vehicle/trailer needs to be VERY clean before you put any cover over the top that will touch the finish. Any wind what-so-ever will cause the cover to grind dust/dirt into the gel coat and sand it down. Not knowing your particular circumstances, I can only tell you mine. I would rather spend hours cleaning grunge than lose a good finish due to "scrubbing." YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
How bulky and heavy is yours to store?
The California Car Cover is NOT listed on their website, you'd need to call/email them direct (ask for 'Monty') and tell them what you're looking for. They'll discuss with you their various material lines and how well they perform. I never did weigh our cover nor did I check the packing slip that came with it for a weight. The cover does come with a storage bag(sack??) which measures 32inches tall and 28 inches wide. It is fairly easy to install, one person can easily pull in into place alone, but a second pair of hands makes it that much more easy to install.

Donna D is absolutely correct about the cleanlyness of the trailer before being covered and IMHO this is more important for a painted trailer (as ours is) as opposed to a non painted Glass Egg.
Attached Thumbnails
covered trailer2.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #10

Registry
I don't have anywhere to store a cover in a bag that big. Maybe I would do better with a "disposable" cover. Sewing one might be an option but not this year.

I am thinking of the towing it to California option as then I could do some work on it in the garage. I just hate the thought of towing it in January in case of bad weather.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #11

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Bobbie,

Since we have not had much in the way of bad weather down here I would say you would have pretty good luck getting over the pass without much in the way of weather worries right now.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I don't have anywhere to store a cover in a bag that big. Maybe I would do better with a "disposable" cover. Sewing one might be an option but not this year.

I am thinking of the towing it to California option as then I could do some work on it in the garage. I just hate the thought of towing it in January in case of bad weather.

I've towed my Scamp the past two years over "the pass" without any difficulty. The roads were clear and by watching the weather was able to time it for no snow.
The other option is going to Crescent City and down the coast for a bit instead of over the Syskyous. This is considered the "bad weather route".

We're about to take off from Salem to head to Reno and on to Death Valley. I'm watching the weather pretty close for our expected departure date and have to be careful of two passes.