Covered work space in New Mexico? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #1

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Covered work space in New Mexico?

OK, the insane heat has all but halted my trailer remodel. So I'm looking for better location to be doing the work. Someplace that's not 105 during the day, or alternatively that will let me work well into the night without disturbing other campers or neighbors. 110 power and a roof are the most important other features. But secure walls would be great too. Albuquerque/Tijeras/Cedar Crest areas ideal, but in theory could haul the project elsewhere, Sante Fe or something.

A long shot I know, but had to try. Yep, I'm looking all over with Google/Craigslist. Just casting as wide a net as possible.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Wow - I don't know of any such place around here - we live less than 10 miles of miles north of Credar Crest and Tijeras.

There are a couple of RV parks in the area but I don't imagine they would be happy with a racket and they don't have covered areas anyway.

It has been pretty hot here too -- has hit 100 in Albuquerque several times in the last week and it has been in the low to mid 90's in the Cedar Crest area.

Good luck with your search!

Fran
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm thinking rancher..horse person off the top of my head if you know of a connection, friend of a friend. They tend to have a number of outbuildings, machinery stalls. In my area, county fairgrounds are another idea. They usually have rv camping on the same property for livestock show. Might be able ask to park under a cover. It's a tough question.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #4

British Columbia
I wintered at the Turquoise Trail Campground in C C. They do have a "no working on your trailer" rule, but every time I've asked, "Hey would you mind if I did this and such to my trailer..." They've always been accommodating. I can't say enough nice things about the owners and their on site help. Great folks.

And while it is generally 10 degrees cooler up there than down in town it seems, I don't feel like imposing this major project on my neighbors, especially during this holiday week. I want to be able to work late once it's cooler and not bug anyone. And I'd love the be able to leave lumber and tools and parts all around outside the trailer and not have to keep worrying about appearances. I'd love to be able to stop half way through my top vent installation and not worry about leaving a hole in the top of my trailer overnight.

I found a garage like space, plenty of space for the trailer and tons of room around it. Very high ceilings like 30 feet! So it's actually not as hot in there during the day as you'd think for downtown Abq, it's got 110v plugs and a few floodlights, not great lighting for the size space, but I can make it work. While being way on the other side of town it's close to where the woodshop I've used is and the place I've talked to about finishing (painting) my woodwork, lot's of hardware, tool, lumber shops around. There's a welder and machinist on premises, and the owner doesn't care if I work until 4:00am. I was on the fence, but the more I describe it, I think I should just go for it, I can move in tomorrow. $375 for a month, he can't do weekly unfortunately.

Get 'er done!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Glad you found a place! It sounds pretty workable and there should be a LITTLE cooler weather coming in next week....
Good luck wiht it!
Fran
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #6

British Columbia
Oh man, I sure hope it cools! Tonight in town is still sweltering after midnight. Was hoping something up on the mountain, but I need to cut my losses and get moving. I think I'll be moving in and setting up tomorrow.