Crack in - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 11:59 PM   #1

Name: Ben
Trailer: Shopping for Bigfoot
British Columbia
Crack in

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a 1989 13' lil bigfoot.

It has a pretty significant crack (about a foot long) alongside the frame on one side.

Any ideas on how feasible it would be to patch it? I'd probably need to take it off the frame. If I do, what's the likelihood that it cracks again?

Thanks,
-Ben in BC
Ben in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:54 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'm not sure how to interpret the OP's comment. Is the frame cracked, or is there a crack in the fiberglass near the frame ?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:08 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I understood the latter.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The Lil' Bigfoot is not built like the rest of the Bigfoot trailers. I believe it used a frame that actually started life as a boat trailer. Axle replacement, and frame work on these units seem to be much more complicated than other trailers. I also think that the Lil' Bigfoot is different from other Bigfoot trailers and uses a torsion axle. All the larger Bigfoot trailers use leaf spring suspension.If the frame is cracked, I would plan on replacing it and it would be a major project and expense.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #5

Name: Ben
Trailer: Shopping for Bigfoot
British Columbia
Sorry for the unclear question. The crack is in the fiberglass, but right beside the frame. I think the frame is in decent shape, but the fibreglass needs repair. See the following picture:

Ben in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Foot long crack on the fiberglass? Beware. First you need to figure out the cause then you need to do the repair. Will probably have to come off the frame to repair.

Best suited for someone with the time/tools/aptitude/ covered work space. Myself I would not touch it.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Crack in

Primary fiberglass repair and reinforcement is normally done from the inside, so that will likely mean some disassembly of the cabin. Since the outside portion of the repair is mostly cosmetic, I’m not sure it does have to come off. Drilling small holes in the ends of the crack can keep it from spreading.

I agree about looking for a cause. If it’s not impact damage, it means something was moving that shouldn’t- cracked frame, loose mounting bolts, aged out axle...

Am I the only one not seeing the photo? My response assumes it’s a stress fracture going all the way through the shell. If it’s just in the surface gelcoat layer, that’s more cosmetic, not structural, and much simpler.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If it were me I'd take it to a boat repair shop and let them tell me what needs to be done. Then get an estimate from the boat shop to do the work. After that you can decide if you want to attempt the work or let the boat shop do the work.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think he would need to buy the trailer before he could take it somewhere for an estimate.
Pictures would help.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #10

Name: Barbara
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Select State
Picture of Crack

This is Mrs. Ben in BC and this is a picture of the crack. Thanks all for your input and advice!
Attached Thumbnails
2019-03-28.jpg  
BabsWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Do you have, can you get, a picture of inside of the trailer at that same location?
Old 03-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #12

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Is that a crack in the fiberglass? It looks like the gel coat has cracked and peeled away from the fiberglass. If it is just the gel coat that has peeled off, it is not a really serious problem. Can you examine the trailer from the inside. If so, look for signs of moisture damage. Fiberglass is pretty tough and gel coat is very hard and brittle.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
It looks like the rest of the frame has failed and the shell flexed and cracked because of that, if I understand what I am looking at.
It looks like the frame ends at the crack and then the structure carries the loads from there.
Anyone know how the trailer is made?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #14

Name: Barbara
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Select State
The inside is underneath the flooring so we couldn't get a look at it. The flooring was not water damaged at all but also pretty new looking.
BabsWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #15

Florida
My question is if the fiberglass trailer is a structural part of the design?
The frame ends at the crack is the back of the trailer is not near by there is a good bit of stress there for some reason.
If it were me I would steer clear of this trailer if I could not find out why it cracked (or if I were getting a pretty good deal on it).
Old 03-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsWill View Post
The inside is underneath the flooring so we couldn't get a look at it. The flooring was not water damaged at all but also pretty new looking.
New flooring could be lipstick on a pig (covering problems). Or it could be fine. The water damage, if it has any, will be beneath the flooring.

Nasty crack, and odd the frame ends suddenly like that. I am used to seeing frames that extend past the body of the trailer (to a rear bumper, or on front to the A frame). So if that is the way they made the frames on Lil BF, maybe the area behind the frame rail just cantilevered, and cracked.

Looked at similar era LBF, it does appear the frame stops short of the rear of the trailer. Curious design. Over the years, that could be putting stress on the shell once you reach the end of the frame.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
I'd be looking hard at that frame.
With the amount of rust it has showing on it you may have other worries.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I agree with Steve. That frame doesn't look to be in too good of shape either. The fiberglass repair itself isn't hard, but you really need to determine what caused it to crack to begin with. Such cracks are not normal, and must have been caused by something like running it into a large pothole which slammed the whole trailer shell pretty good, or some other impact force which it sustained. With the condition of the rusty frame, I would also be very suspect about the integrity of the mounting fasteners which secure the fiberglass shell to the frame. They may also be compromised. In any event, to me anyway, I'd run, not walk, away from this one. There are much better trailers out there that will present you with a lot less headaches and expenses to fix. By the time you "rehab" something like this you'd be time and money ahead to pay a little more and get one that isn't a basket case. Just my 2 cents.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #19

Florida

I believe that the floor is the support for the whole shell and the frame does not go all the way to the rear of the trailer like it does in the Casitas and Scamps.
The floor is all of the support for the shell and my guess is that it has to support the weight of the water tank etc and the shell with the plywood.
My guess is that the plywood is rotten and you are looking not a fiberglass repair, but that and floor replacement.
There are threads about replacing floors in the site.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #20

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
The trailer may be a good deal for someone that is able to inspect & assess what would be needed.
If your looking for a trailer to get out camping this would not be the one.

A good indicator would be to ask the owner to take it to a shop for inspection. Shops in BC charge around 100.00 per hour for work.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote