cracked dometic shelf - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #1

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
cracked dometic shelf

Hi all,

Any suggestions on a good glue to use when repairing a cracked Dometic fridge door shelf?

Thanks in advance!
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I like JB Weld products. I’m not sure which one because they have a complete line of epoxy products. I assume your shelf is plastic.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I used a two part epoxy to fix my shelf, but it is reinforced with aluminum. Been fixed for years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge repair A.jpg   Fridge repair B.jpg  

Old 06-07-2020, 05:46 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I, too, like Glenn used clear two part epoxy to repair a crack in a Dometic shelf. It was one of the horizontal slide in shelves, and the crack was in the middle up front, presumably from items bouncing up and down while traveling. Since it could be removed, I placed the shelf upside down and found a dowel that perfectly fit in the channel where the crack had occurred and cut it to the proper length. Next I mixed and put a layer of epoxy in the circular groove and put the dowel in place. The next day after it hardened I mixed a large amount of epoxy and put it on top of the dowel, enough to bring it up to the edges of the groove. The result was that the somewhat flimsy plastic shelf can no longer flex as the weakest side is now reinforced; the other three sides are supported by extensions on the internal refrigerator surfaces. The epoxy has held up through heat when the refrigerator is turned off and through cold when the refrigerator is in use. In reality, we shouldn’t have to make this type of repair. Dometic (and other manufacturers) should provide more durable products.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Outback
Trailer: Outback trillium trailer
Alberta
fridge shelf

Hello biker do you have the Dometic RM of the fridge, you could get a used on thats not compromised for probably the same cost of the epoxy, we have well over 200 used fridges here
Joe at Outback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe at Outback View Post
Hello biker do you have the Dometic RM of the fridge, you could get a used on thats not compromised for probably the same cost of the epoxy, we have well over 200 used fridges here
Well, that would be quite a bargain given that epoxy might cost $5.99 and the shipping cost alone of a used part from Alberta to Texas would be how much? However, I would agree that a non-compromised part would likely be the better solution.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote