Cracked Frame - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2021, 08:59 AM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The new thicker frame is better, but it has the same complications of the dropped door opening and the resultant loss of stiffness on that side.
In my opinion the continued cracking of the frames at the bend WHERE THE TUBING HAS ALREADY BEEN FAILED is to some extent due to this problem.
These frames are crippled by their design and many which are actually used heavily are still cracking and failing.
If you buy a new frame or have the existing frame repaired be sure to have the bends reinforced and also I think a carry over beam added at the bend.
Personally I think that a fabricated bend with reinforcements is far superior to the bends that have already weakened the frame at the highest stress points.
What may have been sufficient for a 13' minimally equipped trailer is not for a fully optioned 16' unit towed at higher speeds with greater loads.
Just my opinion and what I took into account when I rebuilt FrankenScamp.
By the way add an old dead axle to the mix that transmits greater shock loads to the frame failure is almost guaranteed at some point.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:56 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I completely agree, JD, although strength/durability and cost/weight are a trade-off. If the original frame lasted 33 years (maybe 25 good years?), the somewhat more robust newer Scamp frame might well outlast the current owner. Biggest reason to over-build is frequent off-highway use.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #23

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
With the egg off the frame update everything that needs it and weatherproof the underside of the floor And on the new axle, Bolt on, not welded, and get the egg at the correct height. You can even install new running light wiring inside PVC pipe on the underside of the floor and upgraded GAS piping. Its your one time to fix it and much can be done by you.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #24

Florida
More importantly waterproof the top side as the floor usually rots out from the top down.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:27 PM   #25

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Have a small split a one of the body to frame nail pins.
Lots of metal so that is good. Can fix and do whole frame with rust paint. Sorry about the amount of work you have.

We have a local welder who makes aluminum trailer frames. Have to save up and then maybe a diet for the trailer. Not a hurry all is still working.

Not a fan of being under the gun to fix things. It is a vintage trailer reality though.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:39 AM   #26

Florida
Being an obsessive fixer i usually over fix most things.
I did redo a lot of the frame to increase the overall strength of the trailer as a whole and while doing that added weight and complexity where I could (evidently).
Connie and I have spent a lot of time traveling in our custom FrankenScamp and I think I have gotten my money and times worth out of the mods.
Some are related the the frame strength, others to the overall stiffness of the trailer shell and frame unit so that we could change the interior and not have those brackets that hold up the cabinets and roof.
You are correct in that the frame did last a long time, but actually had been cracked for a long time before it was discovered.
In my case I thought that the frame had been repaired (sloppily and poorly) before I bought it. After I got it home I found that it was far worse than I imagined and the axle was bad as well.
Thus began the saga of FrankenScamp and our project and travels across the country.
Make the repairs you deem necessary and enjoy the trip.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #27

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I replaced my frame with one from Scamp. It was a job,

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...off-88497.html

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:32 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Great write-up, Bryan! Very detailed with good photos. Hope I never have to do this, but I’ve bookmarked it for future reference.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:09 AM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by biw314 View Post
Indeed. I actually discovered the issue when I hitched up at the campground and did a walk around and noticed that it was not sitting like normal. A week earlier the axle was replaced and there were no breaks and a few days before I changed a tire and there were no breaks. I'll never feel silly on the walk around again.

When you say totally shot... Is there a minimum thickness? All older frames have surface rust, right?
Its the internal rust, that you can't see, that gets you. That and your frame members were thin to begin with.

Body off for the WIN. Endless threads of people pulling bodies off their trailers. I'd do a search and read some of them.