Cranks for Windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Hi

I am in need of replacing the cranks for my windows in a '74 13 ft boler. I can open the windows, but need to push them closed from the inside, and duct tape them closed for highway driving to prevent them from coming open.

Does anyone have some tips on where I can find what I am looking for?
Jeff Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 73 Boler
yes, you will have to do some drilling/grinding to get your old crank out, but they are still available and can be found at your local RV dealer. Be sure to take the part in with you as they will have to do a visual match with the current part. I had the same problem on one of my windows on my 73 boler, it was screwed shut when i bought the trailer but after i fixed the actual gear mechanism, the window works like a dream!

Its a bit of a sore spot to get the old crank out, and takes a bit of jimmying, but if you are patient and persistent, it will come out. Best of luck to you
Steveo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If you don't like the actual cranks, they also sell round knobs that fit. I put some on my condo's crank windows -- I think I got them at Home Despot.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You can find information too in the Helpful-Links. Click this link for Windows and Window Parts
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Thanks for the tip, dismantling strarts this weekend. We have had this for about 4 years and have not done much to it. After finding this site, the energy is there to start working on getting it back to its original state!

Quote:
yes, you will have to do some drilling/grinding to get your old crank out, but they are still available and can be found at your local RV dealer. Be sure to take the part in with you as they will have to do a visual match with the current part. I had the same problem on one of my windows on my 73 boler, it was screwed shut when i bought the trailer but after i fixed the actual gear mechanism, the window works like a dream!

Its a bit of a sore spot to get the old crank out, and takes a bit of jimmying, but if you are patient and persistent, it will come out. Best of luck to you
Jeff Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
After finding this site, the energy is there to start working on getting it back to its original state!
Thats awesome! There really is nothing more rewarding that taking a problem, fixing it and then enjoying the fruits of your labour. The first time you roll down the road, you'll be able to think to yourself, man i'm glad i didn't have to get out the roll of duct tape!

Just one more thing, don't throw anything away until you have a replacement in hand.. I will take some pictures of my windows and post them a bit later to show how i have reattatched all of the little pieces.

cheers,

steve
Old 03-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I'm curious how many other mid-70s Bolers have Burdick windows in the rear sides. I had always assumed that they were all made by Hehr (indeed, the smaller crank-outs in the door and over the stove are), but then I noticed a small, faded sticker on the rear/side windows (the big squarish jalousies).

Well I found that there is still a Burdick in Canada and I e-mailed them, just to see if they still had any parts, or maybe a diagram of seals, or .... anything. The fellow in Calgary (where I first wrote) confirmed that they did make "aluminium torque windows" in the past but don't anymore. Nonetheless, he directed me to e-mail a different plant of theirs to inquire again. I'm not expecting much, but you never know. 'Twould be fun if someone had a parts list or... well, who knows.

I'm planning to remove those windows for resealing and have some questions, but I think I'll start a new thread since some people might not read a crank-specific one.

Steveo, I hope you'll chime in on that one

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm curious how many other mid-70s Bolers have Burdick windows in the rear sides. I had always assumed that they were all made by Hehr (indeed, the smaller crank-outs in the door and over the stove are), but then I noticed a small, faded sticker on the rear/side windows (the big squarish jalousies).

I'm planning to remove those windows for resealing and have some questions, but I think I'll start a new thread since some people might not read a crank-specific one.

Steveo, I hope you'll chime in on that one
you know, its a shame that i scraped the stickers off of my windows. Would have been interesting to know who made them. I guess i will never know now!

And i can certainly pipe up on that thread, bascially did a full overhaul on both windows to get them into proper working order. It was an interesting adventure to find all of the different parts that i had to grind off/drill out. Luckily the neighbourhood canadian tire has just about everything that a guy could ever want!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Hi,

I've found a way to save a lot of duct tape.

To stop the jalosie windows in our '77 boler from flapping while driving, I clip the lower edge to the window frame with one of those large binder clips. The folding handles can be squeezed and easily removed -- reinserted on arrival.

Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
And i can certainly pipe up on that thread, bascially did a full overhaul on both windows to get them into proper working order. It was an interesting adventure to find all of the different parts that i had to grind off/drill out.
Steve,

With your experience it would be great to have your input into that thread.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows