Creaking floor in 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #1

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Creaking floor in 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ

Hi All,

We have a 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ that we bought last May from the daughter of the original owner. It's in very good shape (except for the usual window-seal creep common to 2003-2005 models).

The only on-the-road camping we've done with it so far has been the trip bringing it down from Idaho to Arizona where I work.

The Bigfoot is the lap of luxury compared to our '97 17 foot Casita. It's great to have a walk-around bed and a lot of extra space, not to mention real insulation, but that's another story. Can't deny that the weight and size are more daunting than life towing the Casita, but still very manageable (forgetting about gas mileage).

My wife and I have noticed that over the time we've had it, there has been a spread of a creaking noise coming from under the linoleum floor. It started in a spot between the oven and the fridge and is slowly moving towards the bathroom entrance.

I don't feel any softness below, it just creaks, like an old wooden floor in a house or apartment.

There is no indication of any kind of water damage in the trailer; no stains, no smell of mildew or anything like that. There is one spot on the forward corner of the bedroom side window (driver's side) where the plastic/paper covering of the insulating wall material is a bit bulged away from the insulating foam behind. No staining, and we've never seen a leak when it rains.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the cause/meaning of the creaking floor, and what can be done to silence it, if anything.

My wife thinks it may just be the climate in Arizona - hot and dry - causing contraction and drying of the wood and possibly the glue that attaches the linoleum to the plywood below. That seems very logical, just want to make sure there is not a bigger problem we should be doing something about.

Thanks for any advice/comments.
Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:22 AM   #2

Name: DiAnn
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
AZ
We havent had that issue in our 21' BF, but we do have the buldge on the side of the passenger bed(rear) wall. It's just under the window & is about 6" long(top to bottom). Previous owner had no idea what it was or what caused it. Hasn't leaked so far. We purchased it in WA state & towed it to AZ where it stays when we aren't traveling. I would be curious about the buldge thing.
dibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #3

Arizona
Follow up on Bigfoot window bulge

Hi Dibot,

Interesting coincidence on the window bulge. Am away from the trailer at the moment and will send a photo when I get back.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 11-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #4

Name: Garbonz
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
In my BF TC, the plywood is mounted to 1X1 with polystyrene insulation filling the voids. I can easily see the drying out of that resulting in creaking. If it is solid, I guess I would not worry about it it might be really hard to fix. AND yes my 2005 1500C8.2 has a wondow seal creep in the big side window

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
In my BF TC, the plywood is mounted to 1X1 with polystyrene insulation filling the voids. I can easily see the drying out of that resulting in creaking. If it is solid, I guess I would not worry about it it might be really hard to fix. AND yes my 2005 1500C8.2 has a wondow seal creep in the big side window

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Hi Garbonz,

Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping we are both correct with our analysis. I'm learning to step around the creaky spots. Doesn't really bother me but it drives my wife a bit bonkers.

Bummer about those window spacers. At first I was going to try to avoid the affected years. We'd been looking for the "right" unit for quite some time and finally decided to just go for it, even though the seller was very honest about the problem. As long as the windows don't leak, we can live with it.

Regards,
Josh
Old 11-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Can't talk about the floors, but regarding the windows - they are fairly easy to remove and reseal. And they will leak unless you do some preventive maintenance! In addition, you might look at this product which should help alleviate leaking through the window seals and causing damage to the structure, as there is no where for the water to run except over the window seals and window itself. Should help to keep the windows cleaner and minimize water streaking. EZE-RV Gutter System10' Package - Ultra-White - Essential Products U/W01004 - RV Gutter - Camping World
Hope that helps.
Also, my unit had the window seal creep. I never fixed and it didn't seem to affect the window's thermal ability. Just a visual thing I believe. There are some companies that will send you a DIY kit to re-do, or depending where you live, you can take to them and they will fix. One in particular is in Oregon.

From a previous owner of a 25rq (which I loved but my wife did not due to size).
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

Arizona
[QUOTE=JimKE;559548]... In addition, you might look at this product which should help alleviate leaking through the window seals and causing damage to the structure, as there is no where for the water to run except over the window seals and window itself. Should help to keep the windows cleaner and minimize water streaking. EZE-RV Gutter System10' Package - Ultra-White - Essential Products U/W01004 - RV Gutter - Camping World

OOPS! Should have looked at the link first.

Thanks for the input Jim, I'll follow the link right now. Am I correct in assuming that this is something you use to kind of reseal around the original rubber seals?

Regards,
Josh
Old 11-23-2015, 10:10 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
[QUOTE=Josh and Sonya W;559631]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKE View Post
... In addition, you might look at this product which should help alleviate leaking through the window seals and causing damage to the structure, as there is no where for the water to run except over the window seals and window itself. Should help to keep the windows cleaner and minimize water streaking. EZE-RV Gutter System10' Package - Ultra-White - Essential Products U/W01004 - RV Gutter - Camping World

OOPS! Should have looked at the link first.

Thanks for the input Jim, I'll follow the link right now. Am I correct in assuming that this is something you use to kind of reseal around the original rubber seals?

Regards,
Josh
I pulled my rear windows, insulated and resealed with butyl tape. Since the Bigfoot has a curved roofline, there is nothing to keep water from coming down the sides and over the window. If your aging seals get brittle and break apart anywhere around the top and sides of the window, you can get water seepage. Mine happened after a week long of hard rain. Thus, after doing a little research, the fore-mentioned gutter system looked to be a very good water deterrent and solution to the top of each window. Wish I could tell you more, but I sold my unit before I had a chance to add this. With that said, I highly suggest that you pull and reseal the windows if it hasn't been done. An inspection around each window will reveal if they are in need of resealing. You will be glad you did. There are videos on You Tube to help guide you. Hope this helps.
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #9

Arizona
Thanks Jim. Seals looked good last time I looked at them but will have a closer look again when I get back to the trailer next week.

Josh

Tags
bigfoot