Critique my Schematic - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1982 Perris Pacer
Colorado
Critique my Schematic

I need to add some interior walls / insulation to the Perris. Before I do that, however, I want to rewire the most of the trailer. Currently there are many many butt-connectors holding the wiring together and I don't want to bury that behind the walls. Too many connections that can go wrong down the road.

So going off the current wiring that is in place, and using this Schematic from the document page here, I created this electrical-ladder plan.( I do have some elec experience.)

Any of you electrical wizards wanna look it over though? See anything wrong?

I want to add a couple of extra running lights, I only show a few here but there will be more wired parrallel.

I may also add another leg of 120 V wire to the roof vent, I plan on putting a bigger AC/fan (maybe heater?) in the roof vent hole. (not shown here) So I can operate that when we have a hook-up. I'll leave the wires un-connected obviouslyfor now.

All electrical components seem to be original to the 82 Perris, A lot of the brake / run light wiring has been "fixed," hence all the brittle butt-connectors.

I am thinking 12 and 14 G stranded copper wires.

The car already has a 6-pin male connector on the rear bumper. The wiring is more of a 4-pin currently. I will run an extra wire from the trailer-to-car connector to daylight under the cabinet with the rest of the electrical for a future component, should I need one in the future.

Right now I have about 4 various 4 & 6 pin adapters between the car and trailer. Messy for sure. I will of course clean that up to just the one 6-pin connection.

Any advice or changes you all see??

Thanks again for your help!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SCHEMATIC.pdf (75.6 KB, 32 views)
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
No battery?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1982 Perris Pacer
Colorado
Thats my other question...There is currently no deep cycle battery in the trailer. Obviously a charger/battery would be a good upgrade. So far the truck battery runs lights all evening and the truck starts fine the next day. How would a battery tie into the system??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Thats my other question...There is currently no deep cycle battery in the trailer. Obviously a charger/battery would be a good upgrade. So far the truck battery runs lights all evening and the truck starts fine the next day. How would a battery tie into the system??
It would attach to the output of the DC converter / charger and ground.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
This is what I did: The smallest wire I used was 12 G and for the heater / Air Conditioner I used 10 or 8 G. Using a larger gauge wire allowed me to start the Air Conditioner where as the previous 14 G didn't.

In the overhead I used stranded single wire and not the romex type. The THHN is tough. I used the smallest flexiable plastic conduit and ran it through there and that added 1 more level of protection. I used some Romex under the seats.

Southwire 11579057 THHN Wire, 500' 14sol Blk THHN Wire
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote