Critique request of best folding bicycle that is battery powered - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #21

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Re: your review above- Rad has free shipping. Not $175 as listed in the review.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #22

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Rad Correction - Thanks!

Thank you for correcting the review from the source.
0 is definitely better!
I wondered about that myself.

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #23

Tennessee
Oliver_Elite2;646508]

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ebike&_sacat=0

All Categories+ ]

Price: $1,499 ($175 Flat Rate Shipping) <<< incorrect it is $0 >>>

Old 06-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
One thing to consider is the drive back. Have known of a couple that learned the hard way that battery and smaller wheels are a rough peddle when hills drain battery faster than expected and the ride was so nice (wild flower season) that they went past 1/2 of available charge going outbound before they realized it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #25

Name: Paul
Trailer: Bonair
Ontario
Registry
Brompton?

We have a Brompton folding bike. It folds smaller than any other folding bike available. Bromptons are built very solid and designed to last a lifetime. They're also a lot of fun to ride. My wife is 4' 11" and I'm 6' 2" and we can both adjust the bike to fit us. It's an excellent camping bike for roads and paved or hard-packed, dry groomed trails. I wouldn't take one offroad.

Adding an electic motor to the front wheel is possible and a Google search of Electric Brompton should yield lots of options. They do come with a price tag though, but I think for the money, the quality, and the portability, it's an excellent option.
grimjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:49 PM   #26

Tennessee
Quote:
grimjed says, "We have a Brompton folding bike."

Thank you for the customer review GJ.

Adding an electic motor to the front wheel is possible DuckDuckGo search of Electric Brompton should yield lots of options. They do come with a price tag though, but I think for the money, the quality, and the portability, it's an excellent option.
Remember to use DuckDuckGo as your search engine. You won't be tracked and you will get more hits on articles and sites that Google won't send you to because of their partners and propaganda.

https://www.duckduckgo.com
Brompton Folding ebike
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=brompton+f...ke&t=hz&ia=web

OK let's see what the review site
NYCeWheels Electric Brompton Review
https://electricbikereview.com/bromp...eels-electric/
  • MSRP: $2,795
  • Custom folding electric bike configured by NYCeWheels in New York City USA, built on a Brompton frame
  • Multiple battery size options for increased range, powerful and quiet motor, optional lights and basket
  • Fairly light, very compact when folded and easy to use with trigger throttle but no pedal assist option

eBay
brompton electric folding bike | eBay

Amazon - none

Old 06-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
Remember to use DuckDuckGo as your search engine. You won't be tracked and you will get more hits on articles and sites that Google won't send you to because of their partners and propaganda.
Or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 12.53.08 PM.png  
Old 06-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #28

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
One thing to consider is the drive back. Have known of a couple that learned the hard way that battery and smaller wheels are a rough peddle when hills drain battery faster than expected ... they went past 1/2 of available charge going outbound before they realized it.
Very wise RD!

Good idea to keep up with mileage. I sure don't want to pedal back.

Make sure whatever bought has a speedometer w/ mile counter. Good to know amount of juice left. Wouldn't hurt on first foray out to have someone in a chase car when you run out of power unexpectantly.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #29

Tennessee
Oh yes...

Google collects all user information and turns over to the government and sales to partners. They push you to only the sites they want you to use. Identify theft is more common than you think. A real evil bunch. Don't feed the dragon. Stop using it and all the other big boys like Yahoo and Bing.

Duck Duck Go - secure socket
https://duckduckgo.com/

We don’t store your personal information. Ever.
Our privacy policy is simple: we don’t collect
or share any of your personal information.

Add DuckDuckGo to IE
The search engine that doesn't track you. Learn More.
We don’t follow you around with ads.

We don’t store your search history. We therefore have nothing to sell to advertisers that track you across the internet.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't put my faith in anything on the web, including ducks.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #31

Registry
OK, rode a Rad Mini and a Rad Rover. I haven't finished trying them out but first impressions.

Both are big and heavy. The folding Mini is still a very heavy bike. I think it would be easier to handle if you remove the battery and then moved the bike but it's no lightweight. The Rover is bigger. Not sure I'd want to take one of these along on a trip. The friend who has them says they just removed the front wheel of the Rover in order to put both in her mid-sized SUV.

The mini's wheelbase is a little short but the crossbar lower so that made it easier for me to mount and dismount. On the other hand, I liked the longer wheelbase of the Rover. Just a bit harder for my short legs. Those two issues may be the reason I don't end up buying one but I'll see if I get more comfortable with either on another ride. Their site reports "standover" heights and they are Mini: 26.6", Rover, 31.25", City, 31.5-32.5 (two frame sizes) and Wagon, 26.77". So the Wagon may be an option that combines an even longer wheelbase with the shorter standover height but I'll probably have to go to Ballard to try that one out. (FYI I have a 30" inseam so your mileage may vary on comfort with the standover height.)

Controls are easy to use. Mini as a bike alone is a little wobbly if you are used to a regular bike but I soon adjusted to the shorter wheelbase and was fine with it. You can set the boost level from 0-5 (while biking). I was on a mostly level road and 1 or 2 allowed me to pedal along, 3 had me zooming with no need for pedaling. It would be very tempting to do little work yourself. You use the standard shifting in tandem with the power assist so you can get a variety of speeds.

The bikes are pretty quiet. Big fat tires are very stable- I could ride onto gravel from the macadam road with no wobble (and surprisingly no slow-down so that scared me a bit!) Good for a variety of surfaces. I turned on a gravel driveway and on a dirt driveway with no problems.

The control panel display is easy to understand and shows battery charge, speed, and mileage as well as power level.

My next outing will include a steep hill.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #32

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:
Hi! Thanks for responding.
This is the type of review we need.
Someone who already has one (or more) of these puppy(ies).
  • How long have you had it?
  • How did you purchase it? Locally or on the Web?
  • Approximate cost? (if you choose to disclose only).
  • Ever replaced your battery?
  • Why did you pick the Magnum over other brands?
  • Approximately does it hold a charge?
  • Had to repair anything?
  • Size of motor? Model?
I've only had it a few months. Purchased it in NH after trying several other electric bikes. It just fit well and rides well. It has been solid so far but it is still new. About $1,600. Holds a charge forever. I haven't yet charged it since bringing it home. Have about 150 miles on it.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #33

Tennessee
Thank you so much for your RAD reviews.

I would need a shorter "standover" than they seem to offer.

I wondered how much learning curve it took to feel safe and in control. I am going over very soon to our local bike shop to see what battery powered rides they have.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #34

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Talking

Quote:
Thank you so much for your RAD reviews.

I would need a shorter "standover" than they seem to offer.

I wondered how much learning curve it took to feel safe and in control. I am going over very soon to our local bike shop to see what battery powered rides they have.
The "standover" for the Magnum Premium is only 14". I assume that is the measurement you are seeking. I call it the step-through.

As for a learning curve, I just hopped on and took off for the hills. No learning curve at all. If you first ride it as a straight forward bicycle to get comfortable with the size and controls, it's very easy to then add the electrical component in 15 minutes or so.

They are fun rides, for sure.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #35

Tennessee
>>> The "standover" for the Magnum Premium is only 14". ...
As for a learning curve, I just hopped on and took off for the hills. No learning curve at all. <<<

[Yah "step through" I want to put my short little legs down flat for safety and stability. I have trouble keeping my balance while starting out and coming to a stop.]

[Great no learning curve. I want one with a throttle you can turn on the hand grip and easily ride without a bunch of fuss. The more idiot proof (me) the better.

I certainly will check into the Magnum Premium.
https://electricbikereview.com/magnum/premium/

"A folding speed pedelec (capable of ~25 mph) that also offers throttle on demand, you get plenty of power from a 500 Watt hub motor and 48 Volt 13 amp hour battery pack

Two frame styles and four color choices let you personalize the product a bit, folding mechanisms have locks for safety, I like the reflective tires and LED lights even though they require separate batteries

Cast Aluminum rims can handle more weight than spokes and won't go out of true or break as easily, decent suspension fork, seat post shock, ergonomic grips and gel saddle enhance comfort

With so many features the bike weighs more at ~61 lbs, the kickstand would stay out of the way better if mounted towards the rear vs. bottom bracket, key must be left in to ride."

[25 mph, that's the fastest I've seen so far.
Looks really snazzy.

Has some heft to it.
Also mentions a gel seat. Some of the reviews I have read on various models is their seats aren't mmm really senior spread comfortable.]

Amazon
Magnum Premium - High Step Folding Electric Bicycle - 48V 13A Samsung Battery – 500 Watt Rear Motor - Alloy Wheels!- Black with Blue Accents 2016 Ebike by Magnum Bikes

$ 1,899 00

Old 06-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #36

Registry
Link isn't to the step through but that's one I was looking at. I may try the Rad cargo (not folding) but don't like the other two due to the height of the bar.

I may not care about folding- at 50-60 pounds I'm probably not taking it.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #37

Tennessee
You have a point on folding and not folding

Bobbie,

I was looking at a picture of someone who was stowing a folding in the back of their SUV. The folding took quite a bit of space (about 1/2 horizontally).

Right now my 24" regular Schwinn takes only a small bit of room vertically and tied down with bungee cords along the truck bed over the tire. Only concession is we take off the front tire. Easy to unscrew and rescrew. I certainly wouldn't want to remove the front tire of an electric.

Wonder if a non-folding would fit in the vertical space of a truck bed?

I hate to spend more than $1500 personally. Would like the local bike shop take my Schwinn in trade to knock the price down on the eBike they carry. I really need to call them and ask the brand and price.

Get back to you on this.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #38

Tennessee
Local folding bike

Just looked up on the net.

Seems like the only folding one they have is the Volt.
BH Bikes EasyGo Volt - West Bicycles TN
http://www.westbikes.com/product/bh-...t-287585-1.htm

Says Wests does take trades so maybe that would knock the price down. Maybe someone else in town sells eBikes?

Doesn't review out very good I don't think.
Don't think it has disk brakes and the charge time isn't very long.
Sounds like a stout frame with no suspension and a hard seat.

Easy Motion EasyGo Volt Review
https://electricbikereview.com/easy-motion/easygo-volt/

A light weight folding electric bike at a reasonable price from a leading company (BH and Easy Motion) with an excellent warranty and solid dealer network
Excellent backlit display panel... it's compact and blends in, can be removed for safe storage and protection against the elements, smooth torque sensing pedal assist operation (no throttle mode here)
Comes standard with plastic fenders and a nice rack with pannier blockers for snag-free riding, no integrated lights here, no suspension, firm saddle
Smaller battery capacity, limited top speed of 15.5 mph, battery must be removed to charge and doesn't lock to the frame, folding design rests on chainring which could scratch or crack and doesn't feature magnets or bungee clasp

Here is a non-folding 20"
Sun Bicycles ElectroLite - 2017
http://www.westbikes.com/product/sun...e-263406-1.htm

Old 06-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Bobbie,

Wonder if a non-folding would fit in the vertical space of a truck bed?

I hate to spend more than $1500 personally. Would like the local bike shop take my Schwinn in trade to knock the price down on the eBike they carry. I really need to call them and ask the brand and price.

Get back to you on this.
Isn't the vertical space unlimited in a truck bed? Do you mean front to back? My friend brought the Rad Rover home with just removing one wheel (easy to replace, she said.) She brought both home at the same time.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #40

Tennessee
Welll yeah...

6' truck bedness...

Almost unlimited but we are trying to haul as little as possible. Need room for ice chest, (2) Zero Gravity Recliners, folding roll aluminum table, camper parts and pieces our new no bug shelter etc.
The more room and less plunder the better.

We have a truck bed camper top. So height is a problem. Don't really want to take the tires on and off again... it's one less thing Forrest.

Going for speed this time. No more setup items as possible.

Tags
battery