cupboard supports missing in 76 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: 1976 Boler 1300
British Columbia
cupboard supports missing in 76 Boler

I recently bought a 1976 Boler 1300 and noticed that there were no supports of any kind between the kitchen counter and the upper cabinets. There is no indication there ever were supports there. I thought all Bolers had to have that to support the roof and make sure it doesn't go out of alignment. Should I add a post or two?
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
My 73 Boler 1300 Was the same. No support. I did build a custom support and installed it. Certainly not going to make things worse if you do add some support I think
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Missing galley supports: After contemplating everything from repurposed metal wine racks to tall metal candlesticks or ordering supports from the trailer manufacturer (which we couldn't, as Peanut is an Amerigo, no longer making trailers), we cut custom supports out of leftover marine flooring plywood, 5/8", very pretty wood with a layered-cookie look to the edge. We installed them with homemade aluminum brackets.

BEST
"K"

A couple years later we added a shelf, too, and a paper towel holder.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 A.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 108.JPG  

Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 110.JPG  
Old 11-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #4

British Columbia
Thanks. I was thinking it shouldn't hurt to have a support.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:01 PM   #5

Registry
Duke: You're right, it not only shouldn't hurt to have a support, your trailer was engineered originally for it, and pretty much needs them for all the reasons mentioned.

We'd be very interested in hearing what you decide on, and seeing photos if you can manage!

BEST
"K"
Old 11-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #6

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
My 79 Boler's support was missing when I got it. The holes were there. I opted for adding the support as shown. It made it easy to add a shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler 79 Shelf.jpg  
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:22 PM   #7

Registry
Steve67: yes, very nice. Good pic, thanks!
Old 11-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Not mine but this person sells replacements like the original supports. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...0912?undefined
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #9

Name: Menno
Trailer: Boler/ trillium/cadet
Alberta
Our '71 didn't have no support either, I went to Habitat for humanity and picked up 2 aluminum deck railing pickets for $2.00 Wish I had a picture for you but the trailer is in storage at the moment.
Menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #10

Registry
Menno,

Now that's some good creative shopping! I wish we had a Habitat for Humanity store anywhere nearby!

We found one on vacation, but the whole two days we were in the area it was closed.

BEST
"K"
Old 12-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Boler
Registry
Our 1976 Little Pumpkin Boler did not have supports and never had.

Rick
Rick Heemskerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #12

Name: Amber
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 & 1976 SurfSide TM-14
British Columbia
Registry
My 1975 doesn't have them either but I have something temporary in there for now and am trying to find the "perfect" thing. Thinking about wrapping a piece of plywood in stainless so I would have a magnetic surface for those little round magnetic spice containers. But Scamp also makes some nice looking supports that I think are $50US each. They used to be the original spiral wrought iron but they don't make those ones anymore. The new ones are a tree looking design. Nice but I'm hoping to find something that can do some kind of double-duty.
Blue Bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bertha View Post
Thinking about wrapping a piece of plywood in stainless so I would have a magnetic surface for those little round magnetic spice containers.

Spices are supposed to be stored in a cool, dark place.
If you keep them in the containers they come in, you don't have to label decorator containers.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #14

Name: Amber
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 & 1976 SurfSide TM-14
British Columbia
Registry
Yes, good reminder. I'm not necessarily going to use them for spices. Just like that those magnetic containers can be used for holding other bits and pieces. I've seen them in bigger sizes as well so could be good for tea bags, keys, toothpicks, etc. Just thinking a magnetic space could be useful.
Blue Bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #15

Name: Carter
Trailer: Eco
Kansas
My Eco had one originally but it was long gone by the time I got the trailer. I made one out of some 1x1 poplar pieces and some cut-down Ikea pegboard.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_7e5.jpeg  
Old 03-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Ontario
Registry
Supports

My 76 Boler was designed without supports. I had the rare opportunity to speak to the man who originally designed and made Boler trailers and he even commented on some of the modifications I had done to my trailer. He did say some Bolers did not have upper shelf supports and when I asked if I should make some supports, he said as long as you keep the weight in the upper shelves down, you will be fine since that was what it was oroginallt designed for. I use my trailer every year and still do not use supports without any issue however I do not overload the top shelves. Love my Boler.
Steve Stresman
Carleton Place, Ontario
Canada
Steve Stresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #17

British Columbia
Thanks for suggestions and advice about cupboard support. Although it seems not essential, I'm going to install a re-purposed piece of stainless shower curtain rod. It's hollow and I plan to run wires through it when I upgrade all the interior lights to LED. I'll send pictures when I do this
Phil
Old 03-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I think it’s a smart move. Certainly these vintage trailers are way past original design life. I see no disadvantage to better support and in your case it’s pretty useful!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #19

Name: Trixie
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stresman View Post
My 76 Boler was designed without supports. I had the rare opportunity to speak to the man who originally designed and made Boler trailers and he even commented on some of the modifications I had done to my trailer. He did say some Bolers did not have upper shelf supports and when I asked if I should make some supports, he said as long as you keep the weight in the upper shelves down, you will be fine since that was what it was oroginallt designed for. I use my trailer every year and still do not use supports without any issue however I do not overload the top shelves. Love my Boler.
Steve Stresman
Carleton Place, Ontario
Canada
Do you know if Boler’s in the early to mid 1970’s were designed with an exhaust hood for the stove? Most that I see have a window over the stove....my window is over my sink.
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #20

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stresman View Post

Steve Stresman

Carleton Place, Ontario

Canada

Hi Steve,
It’s super to read a forum piece from a neighbour. I’m in Almonte. My Boler like yours and a few of the other mid to late 70’s models does not have shelf supports and functions well without (and like you, we don’t overload the cupboard). I actually was grateful that it came without since it opens up the space in my little Tardus (looks small on the outside but roomy on the inside).
Hopefully, everyone can get back out on the road again. Love our Boler too.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler