Curtain rods and Brackets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
I was cleaning up our new-to-us Old Scamp today, assessing what needs attention. Since new curtains was #1 on my list- of course the first thing that came down were the old ones.

Well!!!!!! of course it just has some "walmart" very cheap cafe rods and brackets. You know, the ones with the "brass" colored painted on finish? And of course, they were all rusty. The brackets, VERY rusty. SO ugly. They are riveted in. To replace them, (I asked my husband about it) it would mean drilling out the old rivets, and re-riveting.

Well, IF I am going to do something so drastic (it seem drastic to me, anyway- holes!!) I would want to replace the brackets with brass or stainless steel ones.

I have just spent an hour googling for possible sources or even if anyone makes such small brass or stainless curtain brackets to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas? Otherwise, I suppose I'll just de-rust these for now and paint them.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1995 Casita Freedom Deluxe
I got fed up with my mini blinds, cause when I was sleeping I would hit them and they made noise and woke me up. So I removed them and replaced with curtains, using this system: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...fm?skunum=14754

Got lucky because I was able to screw into the same holes that the mini blinds used. They are plastic and have worked great. You can also find at a upholstery store that carries drapery supplies. There are two types the one for the wall and one for the ceiling. Works great and love the look.

Karen
Karen Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I replaced my brackets with new ones instead of cleaning them and on the end windows we use light curtains with the stretchy 3/16" shock cord with the ends looped and the center of the shock cord hooked over the middle bracket instead of the rod because of the curvature of the body....the side windows use rods....the brackets will rust in time because of condensation......something that I could have done but didn`t would be to spray the new brackets with clear lacquer before the install......they`d probably last for another 30 years, LOL....have pics of the curtains and cord on my webshots site....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:36 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Boats often use a sliding track pop riveted to the hull. My sailboat has tracks above and below the window to keep the curtain against the cabin sides because the bottom slopes away from the top. My Casita uses loops to do the same thing, to hold the blinds against the wall.

This system seems fairly simple:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...0001/480/467/15

You could make the curtains as fancy as your sewing skills permit.

One caution would be to give some thought about the rivets first. Persumably they would penetrate the outer trailer wall which, unless handled properly, might leak or look a little "busy" from the outside.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I hate to say this Debra, but I think those brackets and rods are the original to your trailer. My 88 Scamp has the same ones and I know they came from the manufacturer. Talk about cheesy. When I get ready to replace mine, I'm going to check a marine supply. I'd think something made for boats would be rustfree.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:24 AM   #6
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I used wooden dowel rods with small eye hooks screwed into the ends. I stained them to give them a warmer look.

I was fortunate that I have carpet on the walls, so I used drapery hooks to put them up with. Not sure what I would use if I had ensolite.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
I wonder if a person couldn't take the metal rods (with the sliders for the drapery hooks) and velcro it onto the ensolite. You would have to bend the rod to make it fit the wall.

Roman shades are my favorite for the campers. If a person could mould a wooden board to the shape of the window at the top of the window and mount two shades to the same board, one having fabric that was light and sheer, the other for privacy, I think you would have the best of all worlds. You could put the weight beads in the bottom to keep it down in breezy days.

If a person didn't want to mount a board all the way across the curved top, one could use a straight board and then make a valance to camoflague the lack of curve.

Roman's are easy to make and can be lined with an insulated lining to help with heat and cold.

Good luck. these draperies are always a hot topic!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote