Curtains or Blinds - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #21

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh
When we bought our Lil Snoozy we told Alan to not install blinds but instead curtain rods. We bought insulated curtains at Target (on sale) and my sister altered them to fit each of our windows. For the kitchen, over the propane stove, she made a four inch valance with a velcro strip so we could remove the bottom portion when cooking.
We think they look great and the insulation works well in keeping the heat from the sun cooking us.
Will show you in Williamsport.
Bill, Any pictures? We are starting our Snoozy (re)construction tomorrow and what to do about the windows is an open question. The factory Venetian blinds banged around during the 1400 mile trip home and I'm not thrilled with the look. I'd love to see your better idea.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #22

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
We are getting dark window tint on Thursday. Will post and let you know how it turns out. Going to Tintmasters in Sioux City. I think they said somewhere around 170 or less.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I redid my curtains last winter and used a thermal liner on them - the new curtains are much better at blocking out light and the liner has a bit of plastic film on the window side so it does not absorb moisture if there is condensation on the windows.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
I have been dealing with this same question blinds or curtains for my new Parkliner when I get it end of June. I have decided to just do the curtains also, the wife thinks they have a nicer look too.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #25

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We're going to remove the blinds in our Egg Camper and my wife will make some drapes. If I can, I'd really like to replace the two slider windows with jalousie type. Don't know yet if any in the same size will be available.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #26

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I would love to post pictures, but I do not have a digital camera and not that computer savvy. If my boys were here I would have them do it, but they all live in different parts of the country.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I love this topic. Just like belly buttons, everyone has an opinion. I'm removing my curtains and putting in mini-blinds. Curtains are either open or closed. Mini-blinds allow you to open them sufficiently to see out, but difficult to see in. In the bed area at night, I'll lift them up to the top and I use reflectix affixed to the window frame. No noise, completely dark inside the trailer and great insulation against condensation at night.

Cleaning mini-blinds isn't difficult unless you allow them to get really dirty and greasy and I don't think anyone here does that... just take them down and dump them into the bathtub. They dry quickly too in the warm sun.

Different strokes for different folks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Donna, how do you attach the reflectix to your windows frames?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Donna, how do you attach the reflectix to your windows frames?
I just KNEW someone was going to ask. I don't have pictures. But, it means creating a pattern for the frame (it's easy) and magnetic strips (that's cheap).

I wouldn't have even answered in the topic, but folks need to remember the "always open or always closed" issue with curtains. Curtains always sound good until you remember that little 'issue.' YMMV
Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #30

Do the magnetic strips stick the the metallic properties of the Reflectix or did you have to glue magnets to the Reflectix as well? Sounds simple enough either way, I LIKE IT!! Thanks!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #31

Melissa, it's like this: Aleene's® Magnetic Tacky Tape one side on the aluminum frame, the other side on the reflextic. Because it's 'black' no one would see the magnets on the frame.

I think I should post pics... give me a week
Old 05-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #32

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Decided to keep the blinds - for now

And I'll add matching terracotta valances to each of the 3 big windows. I think I'll use tension rods to mount the valances.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000457.jpg   P1000461.jpg  

P1000463.jpg   P1000468.jpg  

ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #33

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Lisa, luv the photos of your trailer. Is that a leather couch????

Re using the tension rods - I tried to use a couple of thin ones in a few locations & found that although I set them very tight they do after a couple of trips with all the trailer giggling on the road fall off. The rods almost seem to turn themselves and become slack or the trailer is doing a bit of flexing -not sure what the problem is but I gave up using them. You may want to buy just one and try on a few trips before investing in enough for all your windows. If you find a brand that stays up please remember to share it!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #34

Virginia
Registry
Hi Carol, the couch is either or a really nice leather look alike! It feels and smells like leather.

Thanks for the tip about the tension rods. I'm trying not to drill any holes but I'm beginning to think I just might have to ... Sigh. I might try one tension rod and see if it works ...
Old 05-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #35

Lisa, you're trailer is GREAT! I'm sorry to hear Carol is having problems with a tension rod. There's one in my Scamp side bath that's been there for abour 4-5 years and hasn't moved. I use it to hang my coats. BUT, I also use a dowel socket set that I used double-sided 3M tape to affix the set to the walls. I'm wondering if there's flat surfaces that you could do something similar? Now this picture is for a rod or dowel that's more than an inch... but, it should give you an idea of what I mean. Perhaps you can find something similar... maybe in brass? and then buy a tension rod or wooden dowel to fit? Ignore the screw holes... I certainly didn't screw them into the wall!
Attached Thumbnails
SocketSet.jpg  
Old 05-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #36

Perfect! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Melissa, it's like this: Aleene's® Magnetic Tacky Tape one side on the aluminum frame, the other side on the reflextic. Because it's 'black' no one would see the magnets on the frame.

I think I should post pics... give me a week
Old 05-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #37

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Lisa, you're trailer is GREAT! I'm sorry to hear Carol is having problems with a tension rod. There's one in my Scamp side bath that's been there for abour 4-5 years and hasn't moved. I use it to hang my coats. BUT, I also use a dowel socket set that I used double-sided 3M tape to affix the set to the walls. I'm wondering if there's flat surfaces that you could do something similar? Now this picture is for a rod or dowel that's more than an inch... but, it should give you an idea of what I mean. Perhaps you can find something similar... maybe in brass? and then buy a tension rod or wooden dowel to fit? Ignore the screw holes... I certainly didn't screw them into the wall!
thanks Donna! love the dowel set idea!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #38

Name: Jim & Kathy
Trailer: Escape
Northern Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
We took out the blinds in our Casia and replaced them with fabris cellular blinds. The are top down, bottom up so the give us flexibulity plus color. Still need to add velcro on the bottom so they stay put while drivung.
how are those cellular blinds working for you?
jrbowers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbowers07 View Post
how are those cellular blinds working for you?
We like the cellular blinds. The top-down bottom-up gives us a lot of flexibility. The jury is still out on how well they will hold up under travel conditions. We had one sting break on the rear window (before we added the Velcro). The manufacturer replaced the blind for free. There is definitely a need for an anchor at the bottom to prevent them from swinging too much during travel. Our Velcro solution is working well for that.

The bottom anchor is a Velcro loop replacing the original elastic one with the hook side on the bottom edge of the blind held with double-edge tape. My wife died the Velcro to match the blinds. While she was at it she died a couple of white pillow cases to match.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:59 PM   #40

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
[QUOTE=Donna D.;309405]I love this topic. Just like belly buttons, everyone has an opinion. I'm removing my curtains and putting in mini-blinds. Curtains are either open or closed. Mini-blinds allow you to open them sufficiently to see out, but difficult to see in. In the bed area at night, I'll lift them up to the top and I use reflectix affixed to the window frame. No noise, completely dark inside the trailer and great insulation against condensation at night.

Cleaning mini-blinds isn't difficult unless you allow them to get really dirty and greasy and I don't think anyone here does that... just take them down and dump them into the bathtub. They dry quickly too in the warm sun.

Different strokes for different folks.[/QUO
Oops see you responded already to another person asking and this is an old post.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote