Cutlery drawer fix. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #1

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Cutlery drawer fix.

How did you fix the cutlery drawer above the fridge?
Ours is still original, but the way they originally made it slide was by using what look like curtain railing with the little roller.
How do you fix it so it slides nice in and out.
There is nothing on either side to mount the slider on .
Any have any good ideas?
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #2

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Hi Mensie,
I completely replaced my cutlery drawer with a larger one that I built custom. I fastened 2x4s to the side walls of the cabinet and attached the drawer slides to them. I removed the stove and fridge for access.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:07 PM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
Hi Mensie,
I completely replaced my cutlery drawer with a larger one that I built custom. I fastened 2x4s to the side walls of the cabinet and attached the drawer slides to them. I removed the stove and fridge for access.
Agree we have the original unit still working but the unit looks to getting more fragile with age. They also make light weight units that could be incorporated for use in cupboards in a house and would not require the 2x4's.

We have under drawer singles in our house the are ball barring and go under the drawer fasten at the front face below the drawer center and at the back toward the wall. Maybe use cross brace at back that would allow for fine tuning of back location. Single unit may work better as the trailers twist in transit and could vary due to leveling.

Set side in place at front center front of trailer cabinet wall on level ground and set as level as possible with stands. Then set back with a small drop of 1/8" and square to front. These slides can have a closed position that wants to stay closed but may need a hidden side clip to hold it shut for travel.

Have been thinking of doing it to our boler not sure the original drawer would work.

Just some more ideas.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #4

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
I too, replaced the drawer with a larger one. I also added a spring loaded, swivel, drawer lock as pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 4 (1).jpeg   Boler - 3 (1).jpeg  

Boler - 2 (1).jpeg   Boler - 5 (1).jpeg  

steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
May I ask where you got the swivel drawer lock?

Did you enlarge the opening to install the large drawer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
I too, replaced the drawer with a larger one. I also added a spring loaded, swivel, drawer lock as pictured.
Youlanzhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:20 PM   #6

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
I made it up using a "L" shaped screw/hook. It was threaded for wood but I re-threaded part of it for a nut. Put a piece of plastic tube over the drawer end. I added a couple of washers with a spring in between and it became my drawer latch.
Attached Thumbnails
L hook.jpg  
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Reply: Cutlery drawer fix.

Very clever. Thank you for the explanation. This is a possible solution to my problem of the useless latches that came with the drawer.
Youlanzhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 1990 13 ft Scamp / 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Registry
Scamp cutlery drawer

My 1990 13 had a terrible way to mount the drawer. It had metal U-channels attached to the top edge of the sides of the drawer. These ran along the edges of a piece of OSB mounted above the drawer. Of course, OSB swells in high humidity, and the drawer would stick and be impossible to move. My inelegant solution was to remove the U-channels and mount two pieces of 1x2 on top of the refrigerator running front to back and held by Gorilla tape. I put plastic chair glides on top of these strips to lessen friction. The drawer simply slides along these strips. One of these days I'll come up with a more elegant solution.
Conrad S. is offline   Reply With Quote