Daily Travel Range - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #21

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
900 miles in one day would mean at least 18-20 hours or more on the road. With a trailer you can average 50MPH with gas, food and bathroom breaks. We've done 600 miles and was wiped out from driving 14-15 hours or more. Only did it to get home before a storm hit after a long trip.
By managing stops, I can cover quite a bit more miles in less time, while only going 60MPH when the wheels are turning.

The longer your stops, the less possible this is to do. The time you spend stopped gets added to the end of the day if you are planning to do heavy miles. End of the day is when you are most fatigued, it may be dark, etc. Best to not waste time if you need to make miles.

To cover 600 miles on the interstate, I figure 10 hours of actual driving time, plus whatever time I spent stopped (food, bathroom, fuel). The total time in a day is a lot less than 14 to 15 hours.

In fact, 600 miles on a travel day where I am not setting up camp is my typical day. If I am setting up camp that evening, or breaking camp in the morning, my travel day is fewer miles.

I don't go over 65MPH while towing. Its my personal "speed limit". I've been towing trailers of one kind or another for over 40 years now.

YMMV.

thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #22

Registry
I’ve never seen a trailer rolled because of speed. I’ve seen them rolled due to improper loading, excessive sway due to inadequate tongue weight, and improper braking (typically panic stop without enough trailer braking versus tow vehicle braking).

Commitment to safety is important! Having adequate tow vehicle, properly set up brakes, and proper tongue weight are all important and hopefully everyone is OK there. .

Old 06-08-2020, 08:26 AM   #23

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I’ve never seen a trailer rolled because of speed. I’ve seen them rolled due to improper loading, excessive sway due to inadequate tongue weight, and improper braking (typically panic stop without enough trailer braking versus tow vehicle braking).

Exactly, trailer sway is almost always operator error. I would add oversteering to the list, especially on icy or wet roads. The hand on the wheel must be smooth and steady not like July 4th flag waving.

I do not like the current practice of installing the brake controller under the dash, in hard to reach places. It is important to be able to apply the trailer brakes independently of the tow vehicle

A few years driving logging trucks in the mountains in BC winters has stood me in good stead. Nothing quite so exciting as driving around hairpin curves on wet ice, being helped along by 50 tons of logs.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #24

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggcentric View Post
I do not like the current practice of installing the brake controller under the dash, in hard to reach places. It is important to be able to apply the trailer brakes independently of the tow vehicle
This is my first trailer. I've had it four years. Growing up, and through college and after, the crowd I hung out with wasn't a trailer crowd. So my experience of brake controllers adds up to exactly two vehicles. One was an Army Reserve work truck, the other is my own. I've never seen a brake controller anywhere but under the dash. Where do you put them that's easier to access?

I do a lot more driving than I'd like to, but I mostly enjoy it. I learn a lot from podcasts. Driving is one of the only times I listen to podcasts. There are definitely times when I wished a drive was longer because there was still 30 minutes left of an interview I was listening to.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #25

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
This is my first trailer. I've had it four years. I've never seen a brake controller anywhere but under the dash. Where do you put them that's easier to access?
They just about have to go under the dash, because of their design. In the 50's & 60's they used to mount on the steering column, with a lever much like the turn signal lever, a much better place.

When installing them, I try to put them close to the driver, in a place that the driver can reach without having to look for it and without having to change body position.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #26

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
One of the easiest brake controllers to install is the Redarc Pro Tow as the box is remote and the control is a small knob that can be mounted almost anywhere.
You can change the brake power with a twist of the knob and manual braking by pushing on it.
That being said having installed the Pro Tow on my Touareg and the Teknosha P# in my T&C I prefer the way the P3 works as it is smoother and does give a readout of the brake current etc.
redbarron55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape
Minnesota
Registry
To each their own. If I was retired I would be delighted to laze along at 50 mph or whatever. Because I am still working and vacation days are precious, I drive much faster than that. Also my camper is very small and easy to tow at the speed limit. Last year I drove from Minneapolis to Denver in one day with my camper. And yes, my trailer tires are rated for it.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #28

Montana
Registry
Well as others have brought up, that's too slow anyway. I'm not exactly in favor of the 80mph speed limits around here, but they are what they are. Even when I'm going 65, I feel like I'm creating a hazard. That's what I do anyway. Tires are rated for 65, and in 4th gear at 65, my truck is at 3,000 rpm, which is as high as I'm willing to cruise at.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #29

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
... I've never seen a brake controller anywhere but under the dash. Where do you put them that's easier to access?
I'm slapping myself as I write this because is it so far off topic, but its also important for anyone installing a brake controller. While having the override within reach is important, it is critical that the controller does not interfere with airbag deployment. In my current vehicle, there are so many airbags that is was quite a challenge to find a spot where it would not be in the way of an exploding airbag. But I did find a location, because I did not want to end up with a brake controller embedded in my face after a collision.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:28 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
This is my first trailer. I've had it four years. Growing up, and through college and after, the crowd I hung out with wasn't a trailer crowd. So my experience of brake controllers adds up to exactly two vehicles. One was an Army Reserve work truck, the other is my own. I've never seen a brake controller anywhere but under the dash. Where do you put them that's easier to access?

I do a lot more driving than I'd like to, but I mostly enjoy it. I learn a lot from podcasts. Driving is one of the only times I listen to podcasts. There are definitely times when I wished a drive was longer because there was still 30 minutes left of an interview I was listening to.
Why does the brake controller need to be mounted under the dash where it’s hard to reach and easy to ram your knee into ?
Mine is built into the dash in a convenient location that is easy to reach for making adjustments and manual operation
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #31

Registry
To those that do not have a limit on time, limiting driving to 200 miles a day can work OK.

To those with time limits, you either skip trips to longer distance locations, or you learn how to safely increase your daily mileage.

Example, my favorite destination is SW Utah, about 2,000 miles from my home. If I am limited to a 3 week vacation, at 200 miles a day, that’s ten days of driving to Utah, one day in Utah, and ten days of driving home. Doesn’t work very well!

My method is three days driving, fifteen days in Utah, and three days driving home. For years I was limited to two weeks vacation. So it was three days to get there, eight days in Utah, and three days home.

I pretty much average over 600 miles a day when driving. It’s not for everyone. But if the choice is learning how to efficiently make miles, or limiting travel to closer destinations, or waiting until you are retired, I choose efficiency.

I probably do a lot less regional/local camping than many on this forum and I probably do more long trip travel, in a shorter time, than most on the forum.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Why does the brake controller need to be mounted under the dash where it’s hard to reach and easy to ram your knee into ?
Mine is built into the dash in a convenient location that is easy to reach for making adjustments and manual operation
I take it you have a factory built-in controller. Nice when available. Maybe some day all tow-rated vehicles with have that option.

Discussions about towing speeds gets controversial. My two cents is that on interstates you should drive no less than 15 mph the below the posted limit as a general rule. That would be 65 mph on the fastest 80 mph interstates. That's about as fast as I am comfortable for sustained towing (and as fast as my trailer tires are rated for). I know that some with better equipment and appropriately rated tires may be comfortable at higher speeds. I'm not. Safety aside, it sucks the fuel.

Some prefer a slower pace off the interstates. My own experience is it's even more important to maintain speed on 2-lanes. If you're going even 5 mph under the limit, traffic accumulates behind you, leading to dangerous passing maneuvers and requiring you to pull off periodically. That can be stressful if the road does not provide passing lanes and/or pull-offs.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #33

Montana
Registry
It is a problem, especially in a small Tacoma cab. I managed to install mine under the dash where I can easily reach it, though in an emergency I don't trust how easily I could get at it without looking, but I don't hit it with my knee. "Luckily" for me, my truck is a 98, and has only the two right-in-front-of-your-face airbags.

In my truck, someplace just in front of the stick shift, maybe near where the radio or heater controls are, would be perfect. I could probably make that work, too, if I wanted to move mine.