darkening window covers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #1

Trailer: Surfside 1978
Hi,

Does anyone out there have a really great idea as to how to darken windows using some kind of material for a window covering and how to mount a covering as well so that no light comes through or as little as possible? i know that i could put that tinting stuff right on the window which we might actually do but i'd like it even darker than that inside the trailer on those bright early mornings so that the kids will sleep later!!! Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
brenjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Does anyone out there have a really great idea as to how to darken windows using some kind of material for a window covering and how to mount a covering as well so that no light comes through or as little as possible?
We lined our Scamp curtains with a light-blocking material that is available in any fabric store. Since our walls are fuzzy fabric, a few velcro hook tabs keep them attached at the bottom and very little light seeps in. You can also stretch a bungee cord across the bottom to keep light out completely.

These linings also do a great job of keeping the heat out when traveling down the road.

Dianne
Dianne Sundling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Sheesh!!! When camping I thought you went to bed with the sun and woke up with the sun. Isn't that kind of hard to do with the sun blocked out?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
I bought a roll of Reflectix insulation at Camping World and cut pieces to fit the window frames. I had some 1/2" wide velcro with sticky tape on each half and cut 3" - 4" pieces. The hook side was taped to the window frame and the loop side to the Reflectix. On small windows I used a piece along the middle of each side of the window frame. Larger windows would require more pieces or longer ones.

While camping during the daytime we remove them and store in the closet. They are also good to leave attached while the Scamp is not in use to keep temperatures down and prevent fading of curtains and upholstery.

Good luck on your project.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
Sheesh!!! When camping I thought you went to bed with the sun and woke up with the sun. Isn't that kind of hard to do with the sun blocked out?
There are a lot of presumptions in those statements. Not everyone uses their campers for camping and not everyone runs their day according to the available sunlight.

FWIW:

A few members here are astronomy buffs who attend star parties. They are up at night star gazing or charting and sleep during the day.

One of the Scamps featured here pre-hack was custom built with no windows. The original owner was a night worker who slept at his jobsite during the day.

Some members are in places like Alaska where a 12 hour cycle of day and night isn't always the norm.

Some members like to get up when they feel like it, not just because the sun decided to rise.

There are some folks here who have never missed a sunrise. There are some who only see them when they go to bed later than ususal.

AND Sometimes letting rambunctious youngsters sleep in is the only vacation Mom gets.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
There are a lot of presumptions in those statements. Not everyone uses their campers for camping and not everyone runs their day according to the available sunlight.

FWIW:

A few members here are astronomy buffs who attend star parties. They are up at night star gazing or charting and sleep during the day.

One of the Scamps featured here pre-hack was custom built with no windows. The original owner was a night worker who slept at his jobsite during the day.

Some members are in places like Alaska where a 12 hour cycle of day and night isn't always the norm.

Some members like to get up when they feel like it, not just because the sun decided to rise.

There are some folks here who have never missed a sunrise. There are some who only see them when they go to bed later than ususal.
You're right there is a presumption here. I was mostly poking fun at the term "camping". Camping is at least 1 mile from the nearest road, except for that thing called "car camping". Both are done with tent.

Trailering is an entirely different thing. I do both camping and trailering.

Quote:
AND Sometimes letting rambunctious youngsters sleep in is the only vacation Mom gets.
I never had the experience of trailering with children. I will this coming week-end when take our 6 year old granddaughter out. We did a lot of camping with our 3 girls. We started them out when they were 4 and 6 years old. The three of them in their own tent. Later they had 2 tents betwenn them. When they woke up before the parents, they all gathered in one tent and talked quietly.

Our children were all girls, it might be different with boys.

At any rate it's good that people get out of the city once in a while no matter how they do it.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I also use Reflectix. I bought a large roll at Home Depot to insulate the "canvas" between the upper and lower roof of the Compact Jr. I used the leftover to make window covers. The window covers stay in place without any attachment due to the window frame shape. The main function is privacy, but Reflectix totally blocks all light. Stores rolled up under the benches. The linked photo shows Reflectix at the top, but not in the windows. Tom Trostel

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=70829465
Old 08-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry

Just to add some D A R K humor here, I've always found that letting the l'il ones consume doses of D A R K rum in the evening sometimes helps them, and maybe you, sleep in just a tad longer. REMEMBER I said this was said in humor (DARK none the less)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:

That goes for Gramps and 2 little boys that want to go bear hunting when the sun comes up also.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Trailering is an entirely different thing. I do both camping and trailering.
I never had the experience of trailering with children. I will this coming week-end when take our 6 year old granddaughter out.

If you can, borrow another 6 year old to go with you. I learned early on when my grandchildren came along never, if you can help it, take only one child. It is more work than taking 4 kids. Two little ones will entertain themselves, at times, without your help and you can at least have a cup of coffee in peace. If you take only one child you will have to entertain her all day. Camping can be boring for young ones at times.
Don't get me wrong. I love and look forward to spending time with my grandkids.
I have 3 sons and 4 grandsons, no girls. I keep hoping for a grandaughter.

Enjoy and have fun,

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote