DC lights working with no battery connected???? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Unhappy

Hi Everyone, been a while since I've posted but now I have a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I have a 2000 16 ft Scamp. I plugged the AC cord into my extension cord in my garage to get the fridge cold since I'm leaving for a weekend in the woods tommarrow.

Went inside to make sure the fridge door was closed and noticed all my DC lights and fantastic fan was on. I thought that was pretty wierd since my battery is still sitting in my garage on it's charger.

I turned off all the lights and the fan and all went off. But I'm wondering what's going on??? This never happened before and I'm worried if I'm not gonna fry something with 120 volts AC power driving my 12 DC lights. I can't ever remember this happening before. Thanks
dora D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #2

Registry
Quote:
Hi Everyone, been a while since I've posted but now I have a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I have a 2000 16 ft Scamp. I plugged the AC cord into my extension cord in my garage to get the fridge cold since I'm leaving for a weekend in the woods tommarrow.

Went inside to make sure the fridge door was closed and noticed all my DC lights and fantastic fan was on. I thought that was pretty wierd since my battery is still sitting in my garage on it's charger.

I turned off all the lights and the fan and all went off. But I'm wondering what's going on??? This never happened before and I'm worried if I'm not gonna fry something with 120 volts AC power driving my 12 DC lights. I can't ever remember this happening before. Thanks

Ahh, the magic word is "converter". There's a converter in your trailer that powers the 12 volt stuff and charges your battery. It's OK.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yes, you have a converter.

Check your battery connection lines and make sure that they don't accidentally short together. With your battery out, they are no doubt floating around..

IF you converter is equipped with a charger, when the converter is on, those lines have 12v on them. If they touch.. you'll blow your breakers or fuses.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #4

Hi Byron, Oh Man I feel like such an idiot. I totally forgot about that converter. I was out in the woods this summer and didn't have any AC power so depended on the battery for any lighting.

Thankyou sooooo much for responding, you brought my head lots and lots of peace
Old 10-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes, you have a converter.

Check your battery connection lines and make sure that they don't accidentally short together. With your battery out, they are no doubt floating around..

IF you converter is equipped with a charger, when the converter is on, those lines have 12v on them. If they touch.. you'll blow your breakers or fuses.

Dang, I'm so glad there's smart people here. I just went out and wrapped some electrical tape around the battery connectors cause you were right, they were just hangin out free.

Thanks a ton, you've really saved me a ton of grief

Tags
battery, lighting, lights