DC neg bus bar why unprotected ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2022, 08:08 AM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Keystone
Wisconsin
DC neg bus bar why unprotected ?

I have a 12v DC negative bus bar wired per the manufaturer of the converter installed on the vinyl floor behind the fuse panel

Can someone explain to me why this negative bus bar does not need to be covered / protected ?

Given that it is direct current doesn't it carry current ?

If I change the converter to an inverter & wire power into this DC fuse panel does this change my question above in regards to the negative bus bar ?

Any thoughts or your shared knoweldge is appreciatted
Agboett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:32 PM   #2

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
It does not need to be covered / protected for the same reason the 12 volt negative system in your tow vehicle is not covered / protected. The "ground" voltage on this side of the circuit is the reference "zero" volt side.

Or your home's neutral / ground circuit, also at reference "zero" volt, is not covered / protected. This is usually connected to an exposed metal water pipe.

Your trailer is mostly wood or fiberglass, and therefore, non-conducting. The bus bar is a convenient central location to make the connection from various electrical consumers to the converter / battery / trailer's metal frame reference "zero" volt.