DC wiring help needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2022, 07:16 AM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Keystone
Wisconsin
DC wiring help needed

I am rewiring my DC fuse panel & need help

There is a 40a main fuse that went to a removed converter -- Can I wire this as power in from a positive bus bar off a 2 battery bank?

The negative either goes to a fuse 30a that is labeled as negative ? Or to an existing negative fuse panel bus bar ? Which one?
If the bus bar, where would I likely wire this remaining fuse (30a) that's labeled as negative?

The dc fuse panel door shows a negative white to the battery but I don't believe this is existing.

Help would he greatly appreciated, even just opinions, cheers
Agboett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:06 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
What brand and model is your DC distribution panel? Your description is seems similar to my Progressive Dynamics PD4135.

On my PD4135, and probably most modern distribution panels and converters, the DC circuits are fused on the positive side (red or black wires). On my PD4135, the DC white wire (there is only one) is the negative side connection for the battery and all load circuits. Its best to add a bus bar for all of the negative connections.

On my PD4135, the battery circuit is fused (on the positive wire) to protect from the mistake of connecting the battery backwards.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:17 AM   #3

Wisconsin
2018 Keystone summerland -- if the negative goes to the bus bar -- any guesses on the remaing fuse (labeled as negative) where to wire it to? Thanks for the consideration
Old 08-14-2022, 08:23 AM   #4

Michigan
Registry
All DC negative wires can be connected to a bus bar provided by you. Don't attach these DC negative wires to one of the AC bus bars.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:24 AM   #5

Michigan
Registry
I am not familiar with your converter or distribution unit, so I can't comment on a fused negative side wire.

EDIT: Check the installation or owner's manual for your equipment.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:43 AM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
A picture would help--
frthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:52 AM   #7

Wisconsin
Photo
Attached Thumbnails
20220814_104808.jpg  
Old 08-14-2022, 11:02 AM   #8

Michigan
Registry
The short is answer read the WF-8735 manual found at the WFCO website support section. I read it. Here is a snippet from the manual. Read the whole manual.

"All models have wire lead connections. Strip approximately 1/4” of insulation from the wires and attach to the appropriate connected load using a wire nut or other approved method. Make sure the connectors are tightly secured.
Connect the heavy wire (Red) coming from the battery to the Red 10AWG wire coming from the back of the enclosure.
As a last step, install a separate bus bar in a location behind the converter. Connect the 10AWG White wire coming from the back of the enclosure to this bus bar. Connect the battery negative wire to this bus bar along with all the negative DC load wires. Also, run a wire from the bus bar to chassis ground."
Old 08-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Thank you

Thank you
Old 08-20-2022, 09:55 PM   #10

Name: Alan & Penny
Trailer: Armadillo
British Columbia
John has provided you with some excellent advice and information; one further comment for clarity’s sake … there should be NO fuses in the return (negative) path.

There are DC systems with fuses in the negative path, but they’re in industrial installations, which this is not.

One further comment … I also just replaced my converter (and like John, now have a PD4135) - when I did, I used Wago connectors (made in Germany but certified for use in Canada & the US). You can buy them on Amazon, or get them at electrical wholesalers. They will make your electrical connection life amazingly easier and better.
AP-Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:52 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP-Adventures View Post
John has provided you with some excellent advice and information; one further comment for clarity’s sake … there should be NO fuses in the return (negative) path.

There are DC systems with fuses in the negative path, but they’re in industrial installations, which this is not.

One further comment … I also just replaced my converter (and like John, now have a PD4135) - when I did, I used Wago connectors (made in Germany but certified for use in Canada & the US). You can buy them on Amazon, or get them at electrical wholesalers. They will make your electrical connection life amazingly easier and better.
I second the Wago recommendation. Much safer than wire nuts.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #12

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
The two converter fuses are the reverse current protection for the converter. What happened to the converter? If you don't have a converter, don't use the fuses.

Charles