Dead Rat Fur need help - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #41

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
if you peel off the stuff lining your trailer, you WILL need to get new lining material, similar or different, thats your choice.
I realize that ,one member said to scrap out the old insulation on the inner wall and just put in some light carpet like out door carpet for a combination insulation new lining. I am trying to steer away from using spray in insulation or any other insulation plus the carpet the cabinets wont fit will be too thick, is my thinking . I honestly really don't know John that is why I am on here to get some ideas from you guys this is my first egg.
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:48 PM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I'd look at the headliner materials they sell for boat interiors, pick something you like.

you could do worse than marine carpet,
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/redru...00?recordNum=1

or headliner fabric, like https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Mar...adliner-Fabric

the stuff scamp uses is similar to the furry headliner, over a thin layer of insulation. the stuff casita uses is more like the carpet, directly on the fiberglass shell.

you could make paper templates for the pieces to sort out the corners, use pattern tracing paper (available in 48" wide rolls), masking tape it in place while you trial fit the templates, then lay them out on the carpet and cut, and glue the carpet directly to the fiberglass, or the headliner to some insulation...

hint. casita fiberglass shell + tan carpet, is NOT dark inside in sunlight even if you've blocked out the windows, and on a sunny morning will get uncomfortably warm inside.. I'm an amateur astronomer, at star parties, I'm up til dawn, and want to sleep til noon with my trailer parked in a wide open space. our escape has the extra insulation and double pane windows, and stays quite dark, and much cooler til much later in the morning.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:48 PM   #43

Mid Left Coast
the cabinets on my casita go right over the carpet, and are riveted through the shell.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:23 AM   #44

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
hint, casita fiberglass shell + tan carpet, is NOT dark inside in sunlight even if you've blocked out the windows, and on a sunny morning will get uncomfortably warm inside.. I'm an amateur astronomer, at star parties, I'm up til dawn, and want to sleep til noon with my trailer parked in a wide open space. our escape has the extra insulation and double pane windows, and stays quite dark, and much cooler til much later in the morning.
Have to "kindly" disagree with the tan color bleeding light though it. A lighter colored wall covering of whatever material with some light getting by the edges of "blocked out" windows will certainly be brighter inside. My normal "up" time is very close to your star party time frames. But comparing your Escape to a Casita for insulation and morning coolness is kind of apples and oranges as the build is very different. Wish my Casita had the Escape build but.....I wake up when I wake up .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:12 AM   #45

Mid Left Coast
at my star parties, i frequently camp out in the open with no shade whatsoever. i go to bed at dawn and try to sleep til noon.

I cut pieces of Reflectix to cover the outside of my windows, and tape them on with 2" or 3" wide blue painters tape.

in the casita, with its single layer of carpet, I was woken up by the glow through the shell, and it heated up quite early.

in my escape, with its double insualtion layer and aircraft style headliner material, its completely dark inside and stays cool till 11 or noon, in 90F weather.

i can attest to this from personal observation on several occasions in both trailers while camping at the same places..
Old 09-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
They used Ozite in my 1986 Scamp 13 and my experience with 3M super 77 and 90 is super 90 is a better product than super 77. Super 90 has much higher temperature rating and holds better than Supper 77. I Have had super 77 fail on me when used for headliners where the sun beats on the top. I have used super 90 successfully but I have not used it on a assembly stack like Scamp does with bonding 2 layers of Reflextic to the shell and the fabric on that. your dealing with weight in a long term application.

Before using super 77 or super 90 Read the manufacturers data sheets and wear proper protection gear.

You don't want to have this stuff falling down on you a few years down the road. It is very important to follow directions with this stuff its more complicated than just spray and stick.
I saw a 1986 fiver with Ozite liner. I don't doubt there may have been a few like yours built.
The VAST majority of 1986's,however were done with ratfur.
I'm thinking that it was a transition from elephant hide,which was replaced with ratfur after only a few units. You have a rare trailer.
So rare that I considered it not relevant in context.

I recommended Ozite to the OP because it is manageable, , gives a comfy and attractive finish, and comes in a variety of colors. On the walls and headliner, I would prefer the non-directional smooth version for matching seams and a touch more flexibility.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #47

Nevada
Quote:
the cabinets on my casita go right over the carpet, and are riveted through the shell.
Its my understanding and don't quote me on this but from what I am told there are wood strips fiber glassed on the inside of the walls and the cabinets are attached through those. I do have bolts coming up through the roof I am assuming that these are carriage bolts to come up and support the upper cabinets on mine. I wont know until I tear into it.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #48

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I saw a 1986 fiver with Ozite liner. I don't doubt there may have been a few like yours built.
The VAST majority of 1986's,however were done with ratfur.
I'm thinking that it was a transition from elephant hide,which was replaced with ratfur after only a few units. You have a rare trailer.
So rare that I considered it not relevant in context.

I recommended Ozite to the OP because it is manageable, , gives a comfy and attractive finish, and comes in a variety of colors. On the walls and headliner, I would prefer the non-directional smooth version for matching seams and a touch more flexibility.
Where can I buy Ozite? Is it expensive
Old 09-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #49

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Do post pictures. Until we know exactly what model trailer you have, we're talking in circles here. Garbage in-garbage out, as the computer folks say.

If it's a Bigfoot, it's not double-hulled, though. Easy to tell- a double-hull trailer is smooth fiberglass on the entire interior, like the inside of a 1-piece bathtub enclosure. Walls, ceiling, and cabinets are molded together in large sections There's no headliner, carpet, or paneling on the walls. Insulation (if used) is hidden between the outer and inner fiberglass molds. U-hauls, Burros, Clouds, EggCampers, and Olivers are made this way.

If you're interested in how a single-hull trailer is made, you can go to Scamp's website (scamptrailers.com) and watch their promotional video. There's a section showing how their trailers are built, including a brief glimpse of the lining installation. Someone recently posted a more detailed video from a factory tour, but I can't seem to find it.

Other single hull trailers (including Lil Bigfoot, if that's indeed what you have) use a similar process with many variations, including different materials to line and insulate the shell. Casita uses foam-backed carpet. Bolers and Trilliums used vinyl-topped closed-cell foam (Ensolite was the trade name). Some boxy designs install rigid foam and paneling inside the shell (larger Bigfoots, for example). After the shell is lined, cabinetry- either conventional wood or modular fiberglass- is installed.

But let's start with some pictures of what you have.
I will check out the video about manufacturing Scamps I think I saw it years ago. I defiantly have a Big Footer its a 89 I don't know if you went back on but I posted pics yesterday
Old 09-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #50

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV NUT CASE View Post
Where can I buy Ozite? Is it expensive
They have throw rug size (5X7??) at Menards in both textures and several colors. I think about $10. These are big enough to cut pieces at about the limit you can handle.

I found it on the internet as well.

Menards also has rolls of reflectix.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #51

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
They have throw rug size (5X7??) at Menards in both textures and several colors. I think about $10. These are big enough to cut pieces at about the limit you can handle.

I found it on the internet as well.

Menards also has rolls of reflectix.
Does Menards have as website I can order never heard of them? We have a Joannas here they have fabric and different kinds of thin carpets I am going to check there first
Old 09-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #52

Mid Left Coast
Menards is another Home Depot/Lowes type big chain of home improvement stores. They aren't around here either, I think they are midwestern.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #53

Nevada
Quote:
Menards is another Home Depot/Lowes type big chain of home improvement stores. They aren't around here either, I think they are midwestern.
Oh ok if I strip out my old insulation can I use spray glue for this stuff or not? Or am I going to need heavy duty adhesive with a brush
Old 09-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #54

Mid Left Coast
I've not done the liner/insulation on a fiberglass trailer, but doing similar jobs on a small to medium scale, i've had very good results from 3M '90' spray adhesive. I'm not sure but on a whole trailer, I might consider using a small paint roller and a bulk liquid adhesive, like the stuff sold on that marine site I linked with the marine headliner materials... '90' is a sort of contact cement, you spray it on both surfaces, let mostly dry, spray it again on one, and you have one chance to get it right because once it touches it bonds permanently. I'm thinking I'd want something with a little more latitude when bonding fabric or foam or carpet to a curved fiberglass shell.