Death by tree - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Remington If you look under care & feeding date 8/23/2010 post by Joe Steadman and follow the thread all the way to the end you can see what can be accomplished in the right hands. Apparently Joe is not one to blow his own horn, but the job that was done on his trailer was only a little short of miraculous. The damage to his little trailer appears to be too extensive to salvage but salvage it he did (apparently with a little help from a friend). I don't know how to provide the link so just had to use the above reference. It certainly demonstrates what can be done if you can get your trailer in the right hands Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Is this the one Lee?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ork-41864.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #23

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty D View Post
I just love insurance companies When I got my '72 Boler I called mine & they said "don't bother". That it would be covered with my truck. At least they didn't Want to insure it. Of course it is much older and less valuable.

Since the offender was a tree, a mighty big one, were you fortunate enough to be at home, or somewhere where the homeowners insurance may step forward? Sometimes that is a good option.

Best of luck, too bad you've missed so much of this camping season. Hopefully next year will find you enjoying a new season in a new 'home away from home'
I originally tried to get my homeowners to cover it. They said sure but there was a cap of a thousand dollars for "trailers". Now what is the definition of "trailer"? My insurance agent advised me to file the claim under my auto insurance instead of getting into an argument with the homeowners. The logic behind that was if I won I could be dropped and finding homeowners insurance in Florida can be pretty hard specially during hurricane season.

The adjuster who came out this morning told me that they will use comparable sales to estimate the value, not an NADA or Blue Book value. I should hear something in the next 48 hours.
remington850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Remington If you look under care & feeding date 8/23/2010 post by Joe Steadman and follow the thread all the way to the end you can see what can be accomplished in the right hands. Apparently Joe is not one to blow his own horn, but the job that was done on his trailer was only a little short of miraculous. The damage to his little trailer appears to be too extensive to salvage but salvage it he did (apparently with a little help from a friend). I don't know how to provide the link so just had to use the above reference. It certainly demonstrates what can be done if you can get your trailer in the right hands Lee
If I had the time and space I wouldn't hesitate do dive into a project like this but working 50 plus hours a week and not having a place to store it while I worked on it wouldn't allow this pleasure. I did ask the adjuster about buying it back if they totaled it and he stated that it wouldn't be a problem except that in Florida we have a law that if a vehicle is totaled over a certain dollar amount that it can never be registered and put back on the road. He didn't know if this applied to RVs but said he would look into it.

Between missing out on the camping, the hassle of the two insurance companies and the daunting task of finding a replacement I am starting to get a little stressed.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 1999 Burro
If you need a comp, I bought a 99 17 footer this summer. Send me a pm if you want copies of my bill of sale. I bought it off of the fiberglass rvs for sale website.
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Roy Good to hear from you again ! ( every time we use our salt and pepper mills we think of you guys and your kindness ) Yes that is the one ! What an amazing job don't you think? Lee
Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington850 View Post
If I had the time and space I wouldn't hesitate do dive into a project like this but working 50 plus hours a week and not having a place to store it while I worked on it wouldn't allow this pleasure. I did ask the adjuster about buying it back if they totaled it and he stated that it wouldn't be a problem except that in Florida we have a law that if a vehicle is totaled over a certain dollar amount that it can never be registered and put back on the road. He didn't know if this applied to RVs but said he would look into it.

Between missing out on the camping, the hassle of the two insurance companies and the daunting task of finding a replacement I am starting to get a little stressed.
Remington I can certainly understand that. We don't have the space either and although there are many things I can do, and have done, on our trailers I lack the skills to tackle a job of the magnitude yours or Steadman's would require. Lee
Old 09-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Remington, I had this Burro for sale last month. I had it priced at $6950.00 and got full price for it. Just an FYI. I wouldn't settle for any less.
Attached Thumbnails
1999 Burro 17' wide body 008.jpg   1999 Burro 17' wide body 011.jpg  

1999 Burro 17' wide body 012.jpg   1999 Burro 17' wide body 018.jpg  

Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #29

Thank you all! The adjuster called yesterday and the amount that he offered was very fair, I should have a check by next week. Went and looked at a 1976 13' Scamp at a dealership, was not in that great of condition specially for what they were wanting, $5000. Besides I don't think the wife would be happy in a 13 footer anything. I miss our Burro already and getting depressed looking for the replacment. Requested information for brand new Scamps and Casitas but know they are out of our price range and I don't know if I like the layouts. I miss my Burro.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Remington, I found this camper on Ebay. You may be interested. 1999 Burro 17 ft. Wide-Body Camper 20th Anniversary Ed.: eBay Motors (item 330479489549 end time Oct-06-10 06:54:45 PDT)
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #31

Trailer: 1999 Burro
Wow That is really nice! I love the little side window and I think I would like the layout with the shower up front and the open area in the middle.
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #32

That is a really nice looking rig. I placed a watch on the auction and will keep my eye on it. Thank you for the link Mark.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #33

Check from the insurance company came today, now the hunt is on!