Debating taking the stove out - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 01:12 PM   #1

Name: Andrea
Trailer: Boler
ON
Red face Debating taking the stove out

I am debating taking the stove out of my Boler. I can't think of the last time we actually cooked inside. I am thinking about getting an induction hotplate that I could plug in if I actually needed to boil a kettle in a rainstorm. Question 1: Has anyone ever taken their stove out and regretted it later? Question 2: If I do that I will need to replace my countertop. Can I put a new countertop on top of the existing one? Would I have a weak spot where the stove whole is? Or do I have to cut the existing countertop off?
Andrea D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I would put a cover over the stove to gain counter space, and use the induction cooker on top of the cover... I would do that for a year or two until I decided if I wanted to make a more permanent modification. If you need to, or want to sell the camper in that time, then the stove will likely be a good selling point. At any rate, you can use the cover on the stove for more counter space and still have the stove there if you need it.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #3

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
I never got a stove and love having the countertop space. I have an induction burner (Duxtop 1800W Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner, Gold 8100MC/BT-180G3) and a butane burner (Camp Chef Butane Single Burner Stove) both bought from Amazon about 5 years go. Also recommend you try doing without the stove for some trips to see if it works for you.
Leslie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
We never used the stove in our Scamp and don’t miss it since I took it out. I had planned on installing a smaller two burner (the old one was three burners) on the other side if I wanted one inside, but have not yet. I did some remodeling/rearranging so needed the space where the old cook top was for a larger Truckfridge. I did initially make a wood cover over the cook top before I decided to remove it altogether.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
What size of boler? We replaced our old counter top. The front may need a new door to fill in.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #6

ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
What size of boler? We replaced our old counter top. The front may need a new door to fill in.
It is a 13' 1973 Boler.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #7

ON
Thank you for the advice. I will take it and make a stove cover to use as extra counter space then move on to some of the other updates that I have planned.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #8

Name: Della
Trailer: Trillium 1973
British Columbia
Countertop vs sink&stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea D. View Post
I am debating taking the stove out of my Boler. I can't think of the last time we actually cooked inside. I am thinking about getting an induction hotplate that I could plug in if I actually needed to boil a kettle in a rainstorm. Question 1: Has anyone ever taken their stove out and regretted it later? Question 2: If I do that I will need to replace my countertop. Can I put a new countertop on top of the existing one? Would I have a weak spot where the stove whole is? Or do I have to cut the existing countertop off?
We have a 13ft trillium and never used the sink or the stove so my husband made a countertop that matches the table and just removed what he needed of the stove parts and the sink parts he did it in such a way as it’s easy to reassemble it all if we sell it and he also built an extra shelf piece to go over that counter so now we have so much more usable space totally worth it. Just make sure it’s fit properly and lined underneath so it doesn’t damage the existing counter etc
Attached Thumbnails
1A82A644-6644-4B06-A457-947A48C88934.jpeg  
Dellaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:15 PM   #9

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
We find the stove useful when we don't have a fire outside, e.g. overnights and cold weather, for making or heating coffee, heating up frozen or cold meals we've brought from home. Haven't done much basic cooking on it, as preparation space is so limited, and the cook takes up aisle space. But I'd never take it out.

Propane is handy: don't need to use electricity.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote