Delta Antenna leaking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2007, 02:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I have a 2000 Scamp 17 with a Delta Crankable antenna. It leaks into the trailer slightly and there doesn't seemd to be anything obviously wrong. It has been removed and resealed and any joint in the unit now has black tape sealing it off. I even put a rubber boot around the shaft to see if it was getting in there. If I put a plastic bag over the whole unit, it quits. Anyone have any problems with this unit? Any help locating this leak? Thanks Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Scamp owner
On my scamp the delta antenna leaked. I took it apart and resealed all the joints with silicon, I also installed "O" rings on the crank out arms. Nothing stopped the leak.
I talked to several casita owners who had the antenna and they too had leaks.
I had a "T" shaped cover made from naugahide this stopped leaks but didn't work if antenna was extended. Good luck

Quote:
a Delta Crankable antenna. It leaks into the trailer If I put a plastic bag over the whole unit, it quits. Anyone have any problems with this unit? Any help locating this leak? Thanks Kevin
Larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
You know Larry, I had the same feeling. This weekend I removed some of the silicone and resealed the base. I found that it had split at the seams. So now, I have put on some Duct sealing tape (not Duct tape) that has a rubber backing and it stopped the leak. The problem is, I think it is just a very poor design and I should probably remove it. I think I will switch over to a boomerang but now will have to deal with the holes that will be there from the Delta. I have never repaired fiberglass so I may have to read up on it.

Quote:
On my scamp the delta antenna leaked. I took it apart and resealed all the joints with silicon, I also installed "O" rings on the crank out arms. Nothing stopped the leak.
I talked to several casita owners who had the antenna and they too had leaks.
I had a "T" shaped cover made from naugahide this stopped leaks but didn't work if antenna was extended. Good luck
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Scamp owner
[I should probably remove it. I think I will switch over to a boomerang but now will have to deal with the holes that will be there from the Delta. I have never repaired fiberglass so I may have to read up on It.

The boomarang type wasn't directional enought for me so I just got along with the Delta.
If your leak stopped good the antenna and it's boaster did a good job of pulling in the TV stations.
I don't know why they insist on using Delta there must be a better way.
I had to sell my Scamp when I became disabled but 3 years later I missed camping so much I bought a 22 ft wilderness, it allows me more room to manuver ect.
takes me longer tham most folks to set up but I don't care I'm not in a hurry anymore.
Good luck with your leak.
Larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #5

Name: Barb
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Florida
Newbie with a possibility

Bought my Scamp about 1.5 weeks ago so I am by no means an expert. But . . . the previous owner went down a type of handover list of things she knew about the trailer. One of those that she mentioned was that there was some type of tape up on the antennae - and not to just pull it off as something stupid. When raising the antennae, the tape needed cover some hole left when a cap disappeared/blew off. Without the tape, the antennae would leak. I have gone nowhere since the purchase and have not yet looked at it, but might the same cap be missing on yours?
Barb3408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Delta

The Delta antenna is no longer made and no repair parts are available. Once the antenna starts to leak it's time to replace it. If you have your Delta manual there is template for the mounting holes for the antenna. I made a cover plate out of 3/16" aluminum and mounted to the top using pop rivets in the same holes and sealing with butyl tape and lap sealant. On the inside hot glue a little piece of refletex and rat fur to cover the hole in the headliner.
The trick to removing the antenna knobs is aligning the slots in both knobs and using a long small allen wrench to loosen the setscrew on the shaft.
Good luck Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote