Desk/Table for Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Posts: 44
Desk/Table for Scamp 13

My trip home to California from Backus, MN with my new Scamp 13 was not fun. As soon as I crossed into North Dakota, the winds blew and the rains came down and didn't stop until I reached the coast. That's why I have the handle for this forum.There was no way I could sit outside with my folding table and chair for morning tea or checking my email. The only way to do it and stay dry was to roll up the bedding and stash it all in the bathroom, aka closet. Then set up the table and cushions as a dinette.

Back home, I had the idea for a desk that wouldn't require stripping the bed. The attachments show how I managed that. All the measurements on the parts list are for my rig and the knee room I needed to sit comfortably. It worked okay at first but would easily tilt forward with slight pressure. So after my first trip, I added the leg you can see in the photos. I was going to use two, but one was enough to stabilize it.

I used a 2' by 3' edge laminated board, but plywood should work fine. I lucked finding the "fins" that fit between the cushions in the scrap bin at my local plastic supply. 1/4" plywood would do instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing angle.jpg   Table bottom unfolded.jpg  

Table installed leg down no bedding.jpg   Table parts list135.jpg  

Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 4,277
A Scamp is great when the weather is foul.

Its even better when you can leave the bed up full time.

And that means some sort of table in addition to the rear dinette / bed. Either as part of the OEM layout or a user mod.

You mod looks nice. Another option is using a Lagun table mount.. see:
https://www.google.com/search?q=lagu...berglassrv.com
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 2,206
Registry
That’s a good idea. I have seen a person post pictures of a table at the door entrance that she made. It folded off the the wall of the closet (or across from it) and she used a folding chair to sit in front of it as if she was looking out the door.
Tiny houses require unique thinking.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,264
Registry
Desk/Table for Scamp 13

I like your table. Very simple and handy!

If you travel alone, another solution is to convert the dinette to a U-shape with a permanent single bed across the back wall. Since you have the big bed, you could have a 30” bed across the back, leaving 24” seats on the sides.

We are four in our no-bath Scamp, and we convert to seating most days. Working together it takes maybe 5 minutes morning and night. Only time we don’t convert the beds is if we’re going to be away from camp all day.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Posts: 7,135
Why not install a table that folds down from the bath wall. Sit on the toilet, since it's already there?
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Posts: 201
Bill,


That's a nice item. One question, since I have a Scamp 13 with the bath as well. Where do you store the item when its not needed?



Jack
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
Member
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
Bill,


That's a nice item. One question, since I have a Scamp 13 with the bath as well. Where do you store the item when its not needed?



Jack
It goes on the floor under the bed along with the folding chair I use. I should have added a photo of in under there. It stays set up until I go to bed. It's additional horizontal surface when preparing meals or washing dishes.
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Posts: 271
hu what is the point

Actually trying to figure out the point of what you are doing. OK I have a 16 foot so a bit more room. But all the scamps seem to have the rear bed turn into a table. Now you need the table in the down position when you are moving the trailer. But once you are stopped mine and all the ones I have seen move up and down very well. I use that table as a desk and also a radio operating position all the time.

So is there some reason you don't want to use the table, or is it not working?
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,264
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
...So is there some reason you don't want to use the table, or is it not working?
Storage of the bedding was the reason stated in the first post. Made me wonder if he is using a mattress topper, which can be bulky to store.

While the small table is nice, I'd personally be looking for bedding options that are easier to store. When we want full use of our 13'er on a bad weather day, we put ours in duffles and toss in the tow vehicle. We are four and convert both the front bunks and the back table. With everyone helping it takes about 5 minutes to do the complete conversion from sleeping to daytime mode.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Storage of the bedding was the reason stated in the first post. Made me wonder if he is using a mattress topper, which can be bulky to store.

While the small table is nice, I'd personally be looking for bedding options that are easier to store. When we want full use of our 13'er on a bad weather day, we put ours in duffles and toss in the tow vehicle. We are four and convert both the front bunks and the back table. With everyone helping it takes about 5 minutes to do the complete conversion from sleeping to daytime mode.

i just use the matresses that were provided. Not that bad. Actually like a firm matress. But I guess that makes sense. Frankly if I decided I needed a softer matress I would like bet different foam. Several places like Joanns has foam of different sizes and firmness.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #11
Member
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Posts: 44
Desk/Table for Scamp 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Actually trying to figure out the point of what you are doing. OK I have a 16 foot so a bit more room. But all the scamps seem to have the rear bed turn into a table. Now you need the table in the down position when you are moving the trailer. But once you are stopped mine and all the ones I have seen move up and down very well. I use that table as a desk and also a radio operating position all the time.

So is there some reason you don't want to use the table, or is it not working?
When I get up in the morning, I don't want to fool around rolling up the bed clothes and the mat I use because my cushions are a little lumpy. The bathroom is my closet. If I put the bedding in there, it's difficult to get to some of the things stored there.I want my tea and my laptop NOW. If the weather is half way decent, I go to the outside folding table or park picnic table. The Scamp table works fine, although it and the extension are heavy. I'm just lazy.
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damp Scamp Tramp View Post
When I get up in the morning, I don't want to fool around rolling up the bed clothes and the mat I use because my cushions are a little lumpy. The bathroom is my closet. If I put the bedding in there, it's difficult to get to some of the things stored there.I want my tea and my laptop NOW. If the weather is half way decent, I go to the outside folding table or park picnic table. The Scamp table works fine, although it and the extension are heavy. I'm just lazy.

OK to me that seems like a whole lot more work than just getting the table activated. Actually part of it may be that I am single. Well mostly have had guests before and that can get interesting. I just as you said role everything onto the seat on the right and then remove the two cushions and put one in position as a seat back and the other on top my bedding. Then just flip the table up and ready to go. I will some times flip back and form a couple times in a day and this like takes me about 2 minutes. If I am going from bed to uising my lap top I put it on the counter and start it booting. I can have the swap in place long before it boots.

I have long ago replaced the factory table with a plywood one of the same shape but that was because it was falling apart. But I seem to remember that the factory one was noticeably heavier. Basically good plywood shaped the same and then coated with ploy.

Now as I said I mostly camp alone or in a group with other people with their own campers. I also have a 6 year old in my life and we some times sleep in the camper in the drive. (I can park it at home) She is positive it is cool. I have done some trips with her. But just starting that. Do have a woman (her mom) who is a friend who has lived at my place. We are rural, and multi day power outages to happen. Have had to fall back and use the camper on a generator for a few days twice. And the three of us in a 16 foot camper was very interesting. But we did make it work. Pretty sure a 13 foot just would not have worked. Certainly with more than one person storage does become an issue.


I also do some emergency response work as a volunteer and it has gone with me a lot of places. And I have others with me when operational. Had one incident where we were sleeping 4 at a time in my 16 footer. Yes you can fit four guys in it, if your other option is sleeping bags on picnic tables in open shelters in freezing weather.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding a front table to a Scamp using the Lagun Swiveling Cockpit Table Mounting Syst gordon2 Modifications, Alterations and Updates 26 08-30-2020 11:12 AM
Declutter Your Desk Bigfoot Mike General Chat 45 03-28-2007 05:27 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.