Deterring mice using LED lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Deterring mice using LED lights

I've not had this problem but I have read of campers who find that over the winter, mice have moved into their campers. Ick!

Emptying the cupboards of food and paper products doesn't always mean it will keep mice out..they like a nice, cozy place to spend the winter. and if there's a food source outside, they'll bring it in. They even will take up residence in the air filter compartment or cabin filter in your car or truck.

We have had problems with them living in the insulation in our household pump house (we are on a well and the water tanks/pumps are in a separate shed).

What we do is keep the interior of the camper lit up. I've put a string of LED Christmas lights on the floor of our Casita, running from end to end and also tucked into the hot water heater compartment.. I also make sure the AC power cable is up off the ground, so that it doesn't give mice any way to climb up into the camper.

Not that everyone can do this, but we also have a nest box for barn owls near the house. I love barn owls and they love to eat mice, so it's a win win situation.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 01:35 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Stray cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
I've not had this problem but I have read of campers who find that over the winter, mice have moved into their campers. Ick! Not that everyone can do this, but we also have a nest box for barn owls near the house. I love barn owls and they love to eat mice, so it's a win win situation.
At my double wide in Western Wisconsin I'm lucky to have a stray cat "problem". I can mow lawn with in ten feet of them but If I get off the mower they run. I also have a large wild life habitat brush pile in the swamp and in the winter the cats and rabbits share it as a home. In the RVs I use scented damp rid and have never had a problem. Not sure if it is just a coincidence, but so far so good.
Nomadic Fanatic recently posted a video on rodent control using traps,chemicals, lights, and sound.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights, light, lights