Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2022, 12:30 AM   #1

Name: Willy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating

Hi all. Another thread just trying to figure out and learn more about my trailer ! Thanks again for everyone’s help in all my other threads.

Has anyone used this product ? I’ll post a link below. Is this a general maintenance thing I should do ? I have a 1979 Bigfoot 17’.

One reason I ask is I was up on the roof and rebedded and sealed my plumbing vent and bathroom vent, will do the one other main vent tomorrow. I had posted about a pinhole leak in another thread which I will fix and troubleshoot more once all the vents are sealed. Anyway when I was up there I noticed various spots of microscopic type cracking here and there. Nothing crazy. But would this product help prevent that and avoid more pinhole leaks in the future ?? Any insight is appreciated! Here is the link :

https://dicorproducts.com/product/fiberglass-rv-roof-coating/
WillyBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:59 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I believe that coating is intended for 'stick built' trailers, NOT for molded fiberglass trailers. our molded FG are gel coated, this is a special sort of paint designed specifically for molded fiberglass, its what FG boats are coated with, too. hairline 'cracks' are purely cosmetic, they can be removed with a fair bit of work, google 'hairline crack repair on a fiberglass boat'
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:26 PM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I believe that coating is intended for 'stick built' trailers, NOT for molded fiberglass trailers. our molded FG are gel coated, this is a special sort of paint designed specifically for molded fiberglass, its what FG boats are coated with, too. hairline 'cracks' are purely cosmetic, they can be removed with a fair bit of work, google 'hairline crack repair on a fiberglass boat'
Ok thanks ! Is there a gel coat we should be applying to ours for regular maintenance? Good to know on the cracks being cosmetic ! I was getting worried ! I’m excited I got my roof vents all resealed ( just in time to have to tarp because of an approaching thunder storm lol). Anyway now In a Few days I can do a good clean of the roof and inspect my possible pinhole.

I’ll take a look at the boat repair thanks for sharing. In my case if they end up being only cosmetic then I can live with it. On a side note I actually bought some marine fibreglass boat cleaner and wax I was going to try to shine up my trailer. Unless that’s not a good idea ! It was a 3M product I think. Thanks again for the help John.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:52 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
use the fiberglass cleaner if the fiberglass is hazy after washing and drying. otherwise just use wax, or better, a polymer sealant. If you use cleaner compounds too often, you'll eventually remove all the gel coat.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:08 PM   #5

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
use the fiberglass cleaner if the fiberglass is hazy after washing and drying. otherwise just use wax, or better, a polymer sealant. If you use cleaner compounds too often, you'll eventually remove all the gel coat.

Ok excellent John thanks!