Dicor VS Sashco "Through the Roof" sealant - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #1

Name: Marcia
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Question Dicor VS Sashco "Through the Roof" sealant

I am wanting to reseal the fiberglass lid on my 17 Bigfoot trailer and wondering why everyone uses Dicor lap sealant? I see from receipts I got from the previous owner that the Dicor that was "professionally" applied by an RV repair shop less than 2 years ago has failed in several spots, probably due to shrinkage of the Dicor product. I see most people re-apply the Dicor every few years I assume for similar reasons I am seeing on my lid.

I have been using sashco "through the roof" sealant for 20+ years on a metal roof located at 9400 ft in mountains of Colorado around skylights and vents and have yet to have a failure or need to re-apply. I know professional roofers also use this product because it works so well. It bonds to everything, has great elastic properties, lasts forever and even sets up when wet.

I am thinking this is a better product than Dicor for RV use, but am wondering why everyone likes Dicor. I understand the Sashco product does have some toxic off gassing of probably carcinogenic solvents, so a good mask and other PP equipement is advised. Is there something I am missing here? Anyone used the Sashco product and had good or bad experience to report? Thanks for help!

Link to Sashco product:
Through the Roof! by Sashco - Roofing Sealant & Caulk

mcmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #2

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
Dicor has done an A, #1 job of marketing to the RVing public. The product they are pushing is not the do-all, end-all sealant they claim, in my opinion. There are better products out there. Some are a little more work to apply than the Dicor but if the end result is important to you, it's worth it. I am not familiar with that sealant you are talking about but it sounds worth investigating. If it can maintain its' properties in the cold of winter at high elevations through the hot summer over extended periods of time, it must be good stuff. Many RV shops use Dicor to reseal their customers rigs, not because it's the best but because it's the simplest and quickest.

Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I have used "Through the Roof" in the plastic jar with success on my home (roof, flashing, etc). I am planning, in the near future, to apply Dicor lap sealant to the frame and screw heads of my fantastic fan after I clean it up. I am curious to read other opinions before doing this.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #4

Colorado
I did email Sashco to inquire about using Through the Roof on fiberglass RV roof. I asked if I should be removing all the prior Dicor sealant or if I could just caulk over it. Looks like they think it will work with some caution about the EDPM component contained in Dicor as Through the Roof can cause EDPM to buckle. I am thinking I should remove most of the old sealant and start fresh for best job, more work, but better outcome. I am seeing some are using Sikkaflex caulk with good success as well.

Here is sasco response:

Good Afternoon,

So I just verified the ingredients in Dicor and there is one that bothers me. There is an EPDM Polymer that Through the Roof could warp or soften. I recommend that you test a small area before going over. Brush on Through the Roof in a small area and leave it on for a couple days to see how it reacts. If it looks okay after that then go ahead and use it without removing. If it starts to warp it, then I would suggest removing the Dicor from the roof before applying our product. Through the Roof is okay to use on Fiberglass. Since you mentioned vents and other items on the roof, dont apply Though the Roof on any rubber membrane without testing. Some of those gaskets are made with EPDM.

http://www.sashco.com/hi/pdfs/TRF_TechData.pdf

Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Kind Regards,

Katie Norton

Customer Service

Sashco Inc.

800-767-5656 | Office

10300 E. 107th Place, Brighton, CO 80601

Sashco Caulks & Sealants | Products That Work
Old 10-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin2 View Post
Dicor has done an A, #1 job of marketing to the RVing public. The product they are pushing is not the do-all, end-all sealant they claim, in my opinion. There are better products out there. Some are a little more work to apply than the Dicor but if the end result is important to you, it's worth it. I am not familiar with that sealant you are talking about but it sounds worth investigating. If it can maintain its' properties in the cold of winter at high elevations through the hot summer over extended periods of time, it must be good stuff. Many RV shops use Dicor to reseal their customers rigs, not because it's the best but because it's the simplest and quickest.
OK, that makes sense, the self leveling property of Dicor makes it easy and quick to apply as no messing with trying to smooth it out neatly. Being a DIY log home owner, I have done tons of chinking and caulking and it takes skill, patience and time to get it right. When I hire help for carpentry or painting, I do all the caulking myself as most people just slop it on thick or try and use tape and I got tired of having to redo sloppy work, maybe I am too picky, lol. One thing I have learned with caulking is, "less is more".
Old 10-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #6

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
I am wanting to reseal the fiberglass lid on my 17 Bigfoot trailer and wondering why everyone uses Dicor lap sealant? I see from receipts I got from the previous owner that the Dicor that was "professionally" applied by an RV repair shop less than 2 years ago has failed in several spots, probably due to shrinkage of the Dicor product. I see most people re-apply the Dicor every few years I assume for similar reasons I am seeing on my lid.

I have been using sashco "through the roof" sealant for 20+ years on a metal roof located at 9400 ft in mountains of Colorado around skylights and vents and have yet to have a failure or need to re-apply. I know professional roofers also use this product because it works so well. It bonds to everything, has great elastic properties, lasts forever and even sets up when wet.

I am thinking this is a better product than Dicor for RV use, but am wondering why everyone likes Dicor. I understand the Sashco product does have some toxic off gassing of probably carcinogenic solvents, so a good mask and other PP equipement is advised. Is there something I am missing here? Anyone used the Sashco product and had good or bad experience to report? Thanks for help!

Link to Sashco product:
I see Sashco has more than one Through The Roof product. You linked to the dark tube 14024. Another Sashco Through The Roof product is the 14010. Which one is best for our fiberglass campers?
Jim G. - Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #7

Colorado
I just looked to see why 2 different products. Looks like there is a low VOC version that does not have toluene, so guessing that is the difference. I think have always used the more toxic version. I have used the interior product they have that is also a low VOC, Lexol, it works well for interior caulking and is paintable. Funny that the tech support person did not mention the versions of Through the Roof, maybe it is new?

Old 10-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
I just looked to see why 2 different products. Looks like there is a low VOC version that does not have toluene, so guessing that is the difference. I think have always used the more toxic version. I have used the interior product they have that is also a low VOC, Lexol, it works well for interior caulking and is paintable. Funny that the tech support person did not mention the versions of Through the Roof, maybe it is new?

I looked again and am thinking the difference is the 14024 product might be the thinner version that is good for brushing on vs the tube caulk form. Maybe time for another email to sashco?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #9

Colorado
Sashco has a great FAQ page about all their products. I have used the Big Stretch as well as their chinking caulk, log jam, their exterior stain, Transformation, and interior log poly, Sympathy. I have had great results with everything they make, so think I will clean up my Bigfoot and use the toxic toluene based Through the Roof on exterior for sealant unless someone here knows a better product. None of their products are cheap, but they work well and removing old caulk is a real pain. I might try bit of heat with a heat gun.

FAQ: Through the Roof! by Sashco - Roofing Sealant & Caulk
Old 10-03-2018, 11:34 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I have used the Dycor product with success. EDPM doesn't do well with solvent products.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:14 AM   #11

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
I've used Dicor, not from a tube but from the can, applied with spatula, in a spot where there was standing water after it had rain on my 5th wheel. It worked great for the remaining 4 years that I had the trailer. I know this kept the water out, because I always had a puddle around that vent with the Dicor seal around it, it didn't leak inside.
I have used it hear and there on my Boler and Casita and who really knows if you are putting it in the right place to begin with on these trailers where it could be leaking at the vent and show up down on the window or bench.

Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote